PDA

View Full Version : Badge Tabs - FAQ & post your piccies!

Pages : [1] 2

Hilzo42
17th November 2009, 04:59 PM
The question of badge tabs comes up a lot! so thought I'd start a stickied thread for advice etc.
And a place to stick up photos! I know we all like admiring each others badges!

FAQ's:

Who wears which badge tab?
Senior Section members wear the ice/aqua/grey striped tab. Their Promise badge is Aqua (though you may see some Young Leaders wearing a white one, officially now discontinued).
Adult Leaders wear a GG Blue tab with a different coloured stripe to denote their section. Their Promise badge is Navy.
Unit Helpers (both male & female) wear a Raspberry tab. They can wear the members badge or Navy Promise badge (if female).

Many senior section members are also adult leaders. they should ideally wear the correct tab for the uniform they're wearing.

I'm a new leader - when can I start wearing one?
As soon as you like. As a leader in training (as it were) you are entitled to wear adult leader uniform. This includes the badge tab.
Many units buy tabs out of unit funds for their leaders, but others ask you to buy it yourself. if in doubt ask!

I work with two different sections - which one do I choose?
Up to you.
Some people own both with a different selection, or duplicate badges on them.
Some will only own one tab but may choose which one depending on their role in the unit (eg if they are GiC at Brownies, but Assistant at Guides they'll pick the Brownie tab).
Some go for the creative pinning option (two tabs pinned together), though really we should only wear one at a time!

What side do I wear it on?
The right.

What badges can wear on my tab?
The current edition of the Manual contains no words of wisdom on the subject, so pretty much anything goes!
However for a bit of guidance, the previous 4th Edition Manual stated the Promise Badge plus four others of your choice.
Examples they gave include: County Badge, World Badge, Awards (eg Queens Guide, Duke of Edingburgh), Qualifications (eg First Aid, Camp License), Long Service Awards, Commissioner badges, Members badge, Specials (eg metal Centenary badge, Changing the World metal badge etc.)

I haven't made my Promise yet - what badge should I wear until then?
Usually the Promise badge of the previous section you were in.
eg. your Guide Promise badge or Senior Section promise badge.

My badge tab keeps bouncing around, pulling down on my top and/or makes holes in it - help!
A lot of the uniform now has reinforced areas for the tab to go.
However if yours doesn't then some options are:
Pin it through your bra strap (just be careful to unpin before you take it off!).
Use a badge at the bottom of your tab to pin it through your top (so it's secured top and bottom).
Add on your own reinforcement, eg. iron on web on the rear side of your top in the right place.

Can you show me some examples of tabs?
See photos posted below!

rugbynutter
17th November 2009, 05:15 PM
Let's kick off with these two then!
Here's my SS on (left) and my Rainbow Guiders' one (right) which I'm about to put on 'cause it's Rainbows time!
It's a bit over-full...the centenary one takes up a lot of space! Have heard before about a limit to the number of badges (4?) but not sure if this is official - It would be difficult to decide which ones!

Pompey_Ranger
17th November 2009, 05:23 PM
Here's my SS Badge Tab :D

I have my YL Promise badge from 9 years ago - as I have not made another promise yet :)

Then my YL Service Bar :)

1st Aid Qual

Boating (sailing) Qual

Canoeing Qual

Baden Powell Award (earnt in 2000 just as the new syllabus came in - also completed the old sylaabus - but can't find badge :( )

Commonwealth Award (older version)

Dofe Silver

Smudge
17th November 2009, 05:28 PM
These are mine!

I have decided that my guide one will be my qualifications one and the brownie one will have other stuff :)

bookworm_nat123
17th November 2009, 05:43 PM
can i be reallly annoying and ask a question?
i thought they were worn on the left not the right coz the renforced bit on my hoody im fairly certain is on the left :S
xx

Smudge
17th November 2009, 05:49 PM
my reinforced bit is on the right.

fenris
17th November 2009, 05:54 PM
When they were first introduced, there was a rule limiting the number of badges to be worn on tabs, and restricting the type to official badges - e.g. promise, world badge, qualifications, long service, anniversary plus certain recognised others such as dofe - for some time there has been no limit.

yorkie67
17th November 2009, 05:56 PM
oh does that mean I've to have two different tabs???? I've almost finished with my Rainbow module and I'm actually a Guide Guider

Smudge
17th November 2009, 06:03 PM
Yorkie I dont think you have to - i believe it is personal choice.

I almost wonder if it would be better for GGUK to have one single leaders tab with maybe different colored stars or something to indicate which sections we guide in.

Pompey_Ranger
17th November 2009, 06:06 PM
Yorkie I dont think you have to - i believe it is personal choice.

I almost wonder if it would be better for GGUK to have one single leaders tab with maybe different colored stars or something to indicate which sections we guide in.

Only cause you want more badges ! :p lol

Though it would be easier for a lot of us :)

Smudge
17th November 2009, 06:08 PM
Only cause you want more badges ! :p lol

Though it would be easier for a lot of us :)

What me want more badges? What ever gave you that impression.

charmedone100
17th November 2009, 06:10 PM
i have a rainbow promise on mine at the moment so hacve 2 promise badge a rainbow drop hers safest place to put it at the moment

Hilzo42
17th November 2009, 06:46 PM
This is my tab at present - I'm hoping to complete my Camp License soon so who knows where that one will fit on but hey, i'll worry about that when I get it, eh?

Badges (from top to bottom):
Queens Guide Award
World Badge (old style)
Baden-Powell Trefoil Award
Rowing & Powercruising Scheme Badge (for Narrowboating in my case!)
Commonwealth Award
Promise Badge
5yr Service Badge

yorkie67
17th November 2009, 07:29 PM
Hilzo - what's the knots badge?

The other guider - how did you get the canoeing qualification????

I have to find my tab as I've got some from Canada on my tab - the friendship award and the Unit Guider Gold Award!!!

Lette
17th November 2009, 07:31 PM
Whats the one below your QG Hilzo?
The knots one is the narrow boat badge I think.

yorkie67
17th November 2009, 07:35 PM
Lette - it's the old world badge

madmonkey
17th November 2009, 10:13 PM
Hilzo your a bit brave wearing your Queens guide brooch on your badge tab ru not? They cost like 50 a pop you not got the enamel one to wear as a day to day and keep your brooch for special occasions?
And yes the knot one is the boating qualification :)

Hilzo42
17th November 2009, 11:52 PM
Brave? nah. in fairness everyone coped before they brought the everyday version in 2 years ago.
I actually rarely wear the everyday one. I wore it travelling abroad and on campsites etc because I didn't want to risk anything.

But otherwise I prefer my silver one far, far more (tbh I'm not that keen on the everyday version if I'm honest though I'm glad I have one), and its unlikely to come to much harm while wearing it at meetings. Otherwise I'd probably hardly wear it, which is more of a waste of fifty quid, rather than 1.25!

jess:)
18th November 2009, 12:57 AM
how did you get the canoeing qualification????

They don't do a canoeing qualification (or Canoeist Charge Permit or whatever they used to call it) anymore :(

Though I do want to try to get my hands on one since I am a kayaking coach and I did the course as part of my QG...

sunsetsongbird
18th November 2009, 01:14 AM
Here's my two.

Rainbow one just has promise badge, world badge, centenary badge and my name badge that I got off badgefreaks.

Guide one has promise badge, holiday license, pax lodge, europe region and centenary

I also have a Brownie one, but as I'm not with them at the minute it only has my Brownie version of the name badge on my Rainbow tab.

Yorkielass
18th November 2009, 11:23 AM
I'm too ashamed to post a piccie of mine - it's so empty :-( Only a promise badge and world badge on it atm. Def need a county badge and a centenary one and then when I have my ALQ it might look a bit better!

victoria
18th November 2009, 12:49 PM
I didnt know they do an everyday version of the queens guide i only have the silver one and often dont put my brownie tab on incase it falls off ( i wear my guide on which has far less special badges on it). Where can you get one from?

Vick

ker-stee
18th November 2009, 02:05 PM
This s mine :)

For Wainbows!

Leader Promise
Yorkshire Rose (Even tho atm i'm not in Yorkshire!)
Changing the World (the last one that CHQ sold!)
Pax Lodge Badge (I got it when I went with Smartie!)
Centenary Badge
World Badge!

vickey
18th November 2009, 02:25 PM
here's mine! I have to switch my service bar and holiday badge between the two

Brownies
Promise badge (old)
World (old)
holiday
music
10 year
Kent East

vickey
18th November 2009, 02:33 PM
Guides
the same except I have centenary badge instead of music and a newer world badge

Hilzo42
18th November 2009, 03:54 PM
I didnt know they do an everyday version of the queens guide i only have the silver one and often dont put my brownie tab on incase it falls off ( i wear my guide on which has far less special badges on it). Where can you get one from?
Vick
They brought it in with the senior section programme changes 2 yrs ago.
You can ask your badge secretary to order one. I don't have a code but it's 1.25 :)

scotchmi5t
18th November 2009, 08:56 PM
Here's mine:

Leader Promise badge
Baden Powell Award
YL Service Bar
Changing the World badge
Mini centenary badge

The ones above on my hoody are the Crystal Palace badge and the Campfire Challenge badge.

I do have the Scottish country badge, but need to juggle the badges around to fit it on somewhere. Will also have to juggle them around after I finish my ALQ - will probably take off my YL bar :)

Pompey_Ranger
18th November 2009, 09:16 PM
I think we need a 'How many badges can you fit on you badge tab?' competition! :p lol

Starfish
18th November 2009, 10:26 PM
I don't have a photo (or know how to put one in a post) of my badge tab, but I've now managed to squeeze 10 badges onto it, some of them are quite small though and I find that having badges hanging off the bottom/sides of the tab works quite well when trying to cram more in. :D
I have
Mini Rainbow promise badge
Mini Guide promise badge (to show the sections i work with)
SSAGO badge
Guider promise badge
Ranger promise badge
Baden powell challenge badge
World badge
Sheffield county
Wiltshire North County
Leadership Qualification (right on a bottom corner so a lot of it hangs off!)

Smudge
18th November 2009, 10:27 PM
Someone at the last netherurd weekend I was at had 13 on her tab. I currently have 8 on my brownie tab.

Yorkielass
18th November 2009, 10:31 PM
I never thought about putting my BP or my Chief Guides challenge on my tab, they're both on my blanket.

jennthedeadfunkyranger
18th November 2009, 11:11 PM
This s mine :)

Yorkshire Rose (Even tho atm i'm not in Yorkshire!)

My Yorkshire Rose is the badge that has remained on my tab throughout. I do have a Scottish Thistle and a Staffordshire Knot (and keep meaning to get a BGIFC Galleon to go with them!), but even though I no longer live there, I am from Yorkshire, and always will be, and I'm proud of that! So the rose stays.

I have sewn the Staffs knot and standard onto my uniform though (I thought Hilzo's looked great, so copied :D)

Starfish
19th November 2009, 12:10 AM
Someone at the last netherurd weekend I was at had 13 on her tab. I currently have 8 on my brownie tab.

wow thats impressive! Think I'm definately done at 10 as I'm not working on any qualifications or anything so unlikely to get another badge soon. unless i can squeeze my nsgso one on aswell..... hehe sounds like a challenge

misskarrie
19th November 2009, 12:10 AM
This is mine.

Promise badge
Baden-Powell Trefoil
Kent East
5 year long service
Centenary

Nothing exciting but it's mine so I love it!

vickey
19th November 2009, 12:19 AM
oh, where in Kent East are you?

suzanne_1
19th November 2009, 12:36 AM
mine is very bare!

Promise Badge,
Centenary Badge
Derbyshire Rose

eeyore118
19th November 2009, 01:07 AM
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn285/triumphgina/tab.jpg
This is how it was....I've re-arranged it since and so it also has a changing the world badge on too.
But top - ish to bottom, there's a PB, mini centenary, Chief Guides Challenge, 5 years (I'm due my 20 year in 3 years, but no sign of my 10 year..... grrr..) Commonwealth Award, Koala Guide, Europe Region (the pink one), Pax Lodge and the bars.
Oarsman Permit - pale blue,
Canoeist Permit - yellow, and
YL Bar. I'm not taking it off, I was proud to be a YL.

So now, including CTW there's 12. And with the re-arrangement they don't overlap as much.
On my fleece I have a GFF badge, CHQ badge (the new metal one) my Guides badge and an Eeyore badge. I think there may be another one...

vickey
19th November 2009, 10:34 AM
the bars fitted so nicely on a tab!

The service bars take up quite a bit of room now if you wear them properly

charmedone100
19th November 2009, 01:20 PM
what is ithe blue one with the ball of the different colours eeyore

scotchmi5t
19th November 2009, 01:39 PM

Chief Guides challenge.

Yorkielass
19th November 2009, 01:39 PM

The one under the promise badge? That's the chief guides challenge.

jolito
19th November 2009, 02:47 PM
Yay!
Not only has I - used the camera correctly and uploaded a picture...I has also managed to attached a thumbnail!

My badge tab (old stylee) :D
Wait until I attach the Appointment holders tab on to the bottom! :devil:

On there at the moment is my Promise badge (old, old Ranger trefoil with pale blue enamel), District Commissioner badge, below them, 20 year service knot, Pack Holiday Licence bar, Pack Holiday Health & First Aid bar, QM bar and Music in the Pack badge.

Marie
19th November 2009, 02:54 PM
Here are my badge tabs... the one that I'm currently wearing is the one on the right, the other one, or previous incarnations of it, has been in use for the last several years.

On the left: promise badge (the one originally given me when I made my promise), county badge, holiday licence, 10-year service, music qualification.

On the right: promise badge (bought for wear on camps when I don't want to wear my main badge tab), county badge, CTW and centenary badges.

Smiley
19th November 2009, 06:32 PM
How can people fit so many on? Mine has 5 on and looks full.

At the mo I have: Promise badge, Welsh Dragon, World Badge, 5 year, Camp liceance. I wear my QG, Leadership and Centenary badges on my hoody. In Jan I will have my Chief Guides too.

I also have a SS one with my Promise badge and DofE on but I don't wear that uniform very often at all as it's a little tight and buying new SS uniform at 25 is pointless.

Question: Are you allowed to wear SS awards as a leader over 26? I know you can wear your QG but what about Chief Guides?

Susiwaa
19th November 2009, 10:06 PM
I keep rearranging mine so badges change by the mood of the moment! I have so many to choose from.

Got the new Guide Leader one as I lost my old one, no badges on it thankfully. Liked that one better!

Currently got my promise badge, BP award, camp lisence and my 5 year. Think thats it!

:)

Susi

Kookabura
19th November 2009, 10:35 PM
Not sure how many I have at the moment....will take a photo and post soon.

In the meantime...

Guider promise badge
Swiss guide promise badge
Our Chalet badge
Canadian friendship badge
5 year badge
Gold Duke of Edinburgh award
Mini 100 centenary badge
World badge
Pax Lodge badge

Will have camp/holiday badge to fit on soon

Have a wooden trefoil name badge on my necker and a sew on Notts badge on the back of my necker to save room from my tab.

I know some people seem to think that the 'place' type badges aren't that important on the badge tabs, such as world centres etc. But they are all special to me and mean something, so I will leave them on if I can possibly fit them on! Will lost the centenary badge next Oct and would be more willing to lose the pax lodge badge if I needed the room. Won't be taking any of the others off anytime soon!

misskarrie
19th November 2009, 11:22 PM
oh, where in Kent East are you?

Ashford Knoll. (Live in the town, Guide out on the edge of Romney Marsh.) :)

Hilzo42
20th November 2009, 01:49 AM
I was a Brownie, Guide & Ranger in Willesborough!
My mum used to run the Rainbow unit in the early 90's too.

(Crown rules btw........... ;))

misskarrie
20th November 2009, 12:20 PM
I was a Brownie, Guide & Ranger in Willesborough!
My mum used to run the Rainbow unit in the early 90's too.

(Crown rules btw........... ;))

Pfft! ;) I was a Brownie in Kennington who defected to Knoll to go to Guides.
(Didn't move house or anything but because of huge family connections had been on the waiting list for my unit from erm birth pretty much.)

Hilzo42
20th November 2009, 03:43 PM
In fairness our Rangers, while registered in Crown actually covered both divisions (actually most of the members came from Knoll - we reflected both divisions on our unit flag as well).
And it made very little difference at St Georges parade, there it was just Guides vs Scouts! lol!

misskarrie
22nd November 2009, 03:42 PM
In fairness our Rangers, while registered in Crown actually covered both divisions (actually most of the members came from Knoll - we reflected both divisions on our unit flag as well).

Ah! The Rangers I nearly joined but could never quite find time to fit in!

KatieW
25th November 2009, 12:22 AM
This is my badge tab as currently pinned to my hoodie.

I have the Centenary pin, and next to it (hidden by my necker) is a BadgeFreaks Rememberance 2008 badge.

I have my Notts county pin, Adult Promise and next to it my CTW pin, my 10 year award and then my World badge and old Europe pin. The Centenary one at the bottom is one I got from Tolley badges. I also have the small silver oval Centenary one on there too.

The 2nd photo is the GGUK Membership pin (Should have been the Leadership one but I haven't got round to ordering it!) plus a couple of BadgeFreaks badges.

Last one is how they're on my hoody, complete with Centenary necker and unit necker..

EDIT: For those of you that have Pax Lodge badges - I have one and was told that at one point you were only allowed to have one if you had actually stayed overnight at Pax Lodge, has this changed now?

ElfOwl
25th November 2009, 11:03 PM
EDIT: For those of you that have Pax Lodge badges - I have one and was told that at one point you were only allowed to have one if you had actually stayed overnight at Pax Lodge, has this changed now?

From the Pax Lodge website
The Pax Lodge Pin
The Pax Lodge Pin is only to be bought and worn by people who have visited the World Centre. It cannot be traded or given away, and is only available from the Pax Lodge shop

Visited doesn't necessarily mean overnight.

sunsetsongbird
25th November 2009, 11:03 PM
I bought mine when I stayed there.

jolito
26th November 2009, 01:59 PM
Mwahahaha!

I have an ample bosom, plenty of room for two - tabs that is. They're on the little double bit on my hoodie (no zip).

Might go the whole hog and try one on each side for the nipple tassel effect...in a festive moment!

KatieW
26th November 2009, 06:42 PM
From the Pax Lodge website
The Pax Lodge Pin
The Pax Lodge Pin is only to be bought and worn by people who have visited the World Centre. It cannot be traded or given away, and is only available from the Pax Lodge shop

Visited doesn't necessarily mean overnight.

Cheers.

Guess my memory is a little hazy (I stayed there over 20 years ago!!)

Of course I could be right and they have changed it in the mean time.

ice
26th November 2009, 06:54 PM
katie whats teh oval centenary one?

Smudge
26th November 2009, 07:04 PM
Its from Goldpress - i got on in the sample pack i got when researching who to get to make our units centenary badges.

girlracer76
2nd December 2009, 01:16 PM
I have managed to get 8 badges on my tab and thats a squeeze - also heavy so stretches the tops if there is not a reinforced area on them! I have put my leadership qualification badge on my uniform top seperately as this really is a big and bulky badge - our DC recently told us all to reduce our badges down to four but we have all agreed that if we have earnt the badge then we are going to wear the badge - if it fits on our tab then so be it!!

My tab has:
Adult promise badge
World Badge
County badge
Climbing qualification
Camp/Holiday License
10yr award
1st aid qualification
Small silver centenary badge

Would upload a photo but not sure how to do this - may get my husband to try later today :-)

jolito
2nd December 2009, 01:54 PM
Would upload a photo but not sure how to do this - may get my husband to try later today :-)

'Go advanced' (look under the reply box) and click on the little paper clip icon! Anything 'they' can do WE can do better (except pee standing up).

gem64
11th December 2009, 07:03 PM
I was wondering if I could wear both my SS tab AND my guider one? I've pretty much run out of space on my guider one and I don't want to poke lots of other holes in my uniform! :)

jolito
11th December 2009, 08:16 PM
I was wondering if I could wear both my SS tab AND my guider one? I've pretty much run out of space on my guider one and I don't want to poke lots of other holes in my uniform! :)

As long as you're entitled to wear it...go for it! I've been wearing my Brownie Guiders one AND my Appointment holders one at the same time!!

they call me tulip
11th April 2010, 11:39 PM
Im a dc and a rainbow and brownie guider so I wear the appointment holders tab with the following badges on:
Promise
World
County
Pack holiday
dc diamond
Brownie bear - i know its not an earnt badge but the girls my mum fosters got it for me when i got my brownie warrent

For some bizzard reason i never got an aql badge

Then above the logo of what ever top im wearing a rainbow pin on flash (again my foster sis got me this and my rainbow bear)
near the logo on my top I wear a rainbow bear and a centenary badge.

My foster sis is my rainbow yl and she wears BP challenge, promise , world, county, rainbow bear.

Raspberry
13th April 2010, 06:26 PM
I have 10 badges on my tab - carefully placed so they all fit! I keep being told I have too many on there but they are all official guidey ones so ...

Yorkielass
13th April 2010, 06:32 PM
I have 10 badges on my tab - carefully placed so they all fit! I keep being told I have too many on there but they are all official guidey ones so ...

ooh piccie please!

Charlokylie
20th October 2010, 10:10 PM
This is my tab. I got it last Thursday. ^^

With my new centenary promise badge that I just got. :D

Charlo

Storm Owl
20th October 2010, 10:20 PM
This is mine, though it does not have 5 pins that I wear on my collars: my Bc Girl Guides pin, my Southern Vancouver Island pin, 100 Years of Guiding in Canada pin, my Tawny Owl pin, and my shiny new 2010 promise badge :c).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/neonangel_2002/Guiding/Uniform/IMG_0007.jpg

Marie
21st October 2010, 12:09 PM
Pretty! Could you take photos of the other badges to share with us, please? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see your other badges as well.

What are your various badges? I'm guessing the 12 is related to how long you've been a member, and the one on the left below it looks like a promise badge, but what are the red on with the Aladdin's lamp on and the sunrise one?

Now that the centenary is officially over, I shall have to revisit my badge tabs - not least to add my 20/10 promise badge, but I may also take off a couple of the badges.

Sammipie
21st October 2010, 01:28 PM
I dont want to bust anyone's bubbles with the loads of badges on you tab but i went to a leadership training at the weekend and they said that you can only have 5 badges on your tab and one of these is your promise badge. Has anyone else been told this in their LQ training?

scotchmi5t
21st October 2010, 01:34 PM
I dont want to bust anyone's bubbles with the loads of badges on you tab but i went to a leadership training at the weekend and they said that you can only have 5 badges on your tab and one of these is your promise badge. Has anyone else been told this in their LQ training?

As Hilzo stated at the start of this thread, the current edition of the Guiding Manual does not specify a limit on the amount of badges you can wear. I've also been advised to take off some of mine by local commissioners but I just tell them about the Manual.

Marie
21st October 2010, 02:12 PM

That used to be the case. It is likely that the person who told you that is not aware that there is no such statement in the manual any more - since the online version does not indicate which sections have changed, it is easy to become out of date.

The only restrictions now are personal taste and how many one can physically attach - I prefer fewer badges spaced out myself but I know there are others who like to wear all their badges at once.

Sammipie
21st October 2010, 04:39 PM
That used to be the case. It is likely that the person who told you that is not aware that there is no such statement in the manual any more - since the online version does not indicate which sections have changed, it is easy to become out of date.

The only restrictions now are personal taste and how many one can physically attach - I prefer fewer badges spaced out myself but I know there are others who like to wear all their badges at once.

Ah I see thank you for letting me know. I agree with you to having fewer badges then people can see what they are although mine is already full and havent finished the LQ yet so you never know I could end up with loads squashed on there :D

Smartie
21st October 2010, 04:53 PM
Ah I see thank you for letting me know. I agree with you to having fewer badges then people can see what they are although mine is already full and havent finished the LQ yet so you never know I could end up with loads squashed on there :D

I'm one of thse people with lots squished on! I've three tabs, and ne of them has 10 badges on!

Smudge
21st October 2010, 05:14 PM
I have 9 badges on each of my 2 tabs - but some of the centenary ones will be coming soon - but we are starting a ranger group soon so that is another tab to fill :)

alexp44
21st October 2010, 05:33 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=15230461&l=8505d37aa1&id=901950651

mine.
I think I need to re-jig the badges so they fit better. Will also have to find a space soon to hopefully put my QG badge (pity my BP one broke :()

Storm Owl
21st October 2010, 10:55 PM
Pretty! Could you take photos of the other badges to share with us, please? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see your other badges as well.

What are your various badges? I'm guessing the 12 is related to how long you've been a member, and the one on the left below it looks like a promise badge, but what are the red on with the Aladdin's lamp on and the sunrise one?

The 12 is indeed my membership years (8 girl, 4 Guider). The Bronze Trefoil is a Unit Guider Award presented to me last summer for 1-3 years of Outstanding Guiding. Aladdin's lamp is awarded for completing Branch-specific training courses (in this case, it was for Guides). The Guides Canada sunburst is just a fun pin that I actually received as a girl and thought looked pretty (it has since been redesigned, I don't have the new one) and the Stars are another fun pin, again acquired while I was a girl. It technically should be discontinued since not all the Branches represented by the colours exist (Yellow technically is the only one that really needs to be removed).

This is my "Tawny Owl" pin - it would be equivalent to Assistant Guider - Brownies designation
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/neonangel_2002/Guiding/Uniform/DSC00714.jpg
These two are pretty self-explanatory.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/neonangel_2002/Guiding/Uniform/DSC00715.jpg
British Columbia pin (Stellar's Jay) and Southern Vancouver Island Area (Featuring the Legislature and Victoria's lamp posts)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/neonangel_2002/Guiding/Uniform/IMG_0004-1.jpg

Marie
22nd October 2010, 01:35 AM
Thanks for sharing those photos - good to see your 20/10 promise badge on display too. I have yet to get hold of mine - I guessed and underestimated, but I think a local unit has spares.

I've taken photos of my badge tabs today but not done anything with them and I'll be away over the weekend. I'll try and upload them next week - then I've got to decide what to do about the centenary one!

Charlokylie
22nd October 2010, 07:38 PM
I love the 20/10 promise badges. So shiny! A teacher of mine found one at school today and I managed to get it off him. A guide probably lost it. I'll give it to my guider an see if it can find it's way back. Though it will probably get used as spare and the girl who lost will probably get a new one off her guider. Shame because I know if it were me I'd want the one I got on the day. Though I can't understand why it was in school?

Charlo

jennthedeadfunkyranger
22nd October 2010, 07:46 PM
She was probably really proud of it and wanted to show it off!!

Why did you get it from the teacher? It's far more likely to be returned to the correct person if it went to lost property in school

Charlokylie
23rd October 2010, 09:15 PM
It was on the floor and my friend was gonna take it. She's not in guiding so I didn't think it was fair.

Plus no-one checks the lost property at school and if it's not claimed they get rid of it.

Cazbly
24th October 2010, 12:15 AM
The 12 is indeed my membership years (8 girl, 4 Guider). The Bronze Trefoil is a Unit Guider Award presented to me last summer for 1-3 years of Outstanding Guiding. Aladdin's lamp is awarded for completing Branch-specific training courses (in this case, it was for Guides). The Guides Canada sunburst is just a fun pin that I actually received as a girl and thought looked pretty (it has since been redesigned, I don't have the new one) and the Stars are another fun pin, again acquired while I was a girl. It technically should be discontinued since not all the Branches represented by the colours exist (Yellow technically is the only one that really needs to be removed).

This is my "Tawny Owl" pin - it would be equivalent to Assistant Guider - Brownies designation
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/neonangel_2002/Guiding/Uniform/DSC00714.jpg
These two are pretty self-explanatory.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/neonangel_2002/Guiding/Uniform/DSC00715.jpg
British Columbia pin (Stellar's Jay) and Southern Vancouver Island Area (Featuring the Legislature and Victoria's lamp posts)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/neonangel_2002/Guiding/Uniform/IMG_0004-1.jpg

Great to see the 2010 I carried lovingly in hand baggage through Alaska and Canada on your top!
Your Tawny Owl Pin -is very similar to the one that was in use in this country for Tawny Owls for many years - if you look in my Flickr Account at my badge board - there is one on there, together with a brown owl pin from the same era.
Your badge with the BC parliament building on needs led lights to make it look just like the real thing after sunset.

Storm Owl
24th October 2010, 01:38 AM
Great to see the 2010 I carried lovingly in hand baggage through Alaska and Canada on your top!
Your Tawny Owl Pin -is very similar to the one that was in use in this country for Tawny Owls for many years - if you look in my Flickr Account at my badge board - there is one on there, together with a brown owl pin from the same era.
Your badge with the BC parliament building on needs led lights to make it look just like the real thing after sunset.
Our Brown Owl pins now are the same as your old ones too - just the owl head.
They'd need to be interchangeable LEDs - at Christmas the bulbs get changed to red and green :D

Leeyah
30th December 2010, 08:55 PM
Hi, sorry to bother you all but i have a couple of questions and you all seem quite experienced and might be able to help me.

Firstly, for Module 1 part 1 of the young leader qualification in the record book it leaves space for 3 parts (a, b & c) but in the guide it only gives two bullet points on what to do. Any ideas on what the third point is?

Also, i am not quite sure what the different badges mean. I know the turquoise-ee one is the Ranger Promise. But someone mentioned an aqua one and i'm not sure what it is, any ideas? Also what is the white promise badge because i am getting very confused- i thought it was the one you got for completing your YLQ, is this right? And can you wear this badge as well as the Ranger promise on your tab?

Thanks.

Cazbly
30th December 2010, 09:05 PM
Hi, sorry to bother you all but i have a couple of questions and you all seem quite experienced and might be able to help me.

Firstly, for Module 1 part 1 of the young leader qualification in the record book it leaves space for 3 parts (a, b & c) but in the guide it only gives two bullet points on what to do. Any ideas on what the third point is?

Also, i am not quite sure what the different badges mean. I know the turquoise-ee one is the Ranger Promise. But someone mentioned an aqua one and i'm not sure what it is, any ideas? Also what is the white promise badge because i am getting very confused- i thought it was the one you got for completing your YLQ, is this right? And can you wear this badge as well as the Ranger promise on your tab?

Thanks.

I haven't got my YLQ guide to hand ... so if anybody has one handy, can you answer that part of the question for Leeyah and save me digging one out.

On the badges - The Aqua promise badge is the one you are describing as "turquoise" - and is the Senior Section Promise Badge but did used to be used for girls who were only Rangers.

The White badge you refer to used to be the promise badge for Young Leaders - this has now been discontinued and all members of the Senior Section wear the Aqua badge.

When you complete your YLQ you will get an oblong badge that clearly shows you have gained your YLQ - sure there is a picture of one on here somewhere, but I will need somebody to add a link to their picture of one.

Hope that helps a bit, or fire away with more questions :-)

bekky
31st December 2010, 06:15 PM
My badge has world, 100 mini pin, cheshire border county, gold d of e, vision promise.
Used to have mini brownie promise and leadership qual. on as well, but took them of for dofe and vision. Have never been given my leader promise badge for some reason.
The other picture are my guide challenge badges and bp!

princessabz
31st December 2010, 07:17 PM
I only have centenary promsie badge, welsh dragon and world badge on mine -its sooo stiff, despite soaking it in fabric conditioner. I only got it in Novemeber and was a bit naughty cos i got an adult Rainbow leader badge tab instead of an SS one but i don't do nay of the SS stuff so once i'm 18 (july) i'll be only wearing adult uniform anyway so seemed a bt pointless buying an SS one for 7 months.

MummyOwl
1st January 2011, 04:24 PM
Happy New Year everyone!

My badge tab has: Surrey Lion; Leader Promise badge; 2010 Promise badge; Adventure 100 metal badge; miniature world badge (old style - from 1970/80s); mini silver 100 badge; old-style Queen's Guide badge...

On the other side of my uniform I wear: Leadership qualification; old friendship badge (a round one with a silver trefoil on a Union flag); Campfire Challenge badge; Centenary maze badge and a 'Barn Owl' that one of my Brownies gave me!

princessrebec
18th February 2011, 05:53 PM
The badges on my tab got out of hand so now i have some on a lanyard and hang the badge tab at the bottom. It also makes it easier to swap from one uniform to another!

Cazbly
18th February 2011, 07:29 PM
The badges on my tab got out of hand so now i have some on a lanyard and hang the badge tab at the bottom. It also makes it easier to swap from one uniform to another!

Which long service is it?
Don't find it as easy to tell on these new designs whereas I knew the old knot colours.

IvyN
18th February 2011, 07:31 PM
I think it's 20? I know 5 is a small square, and a lady I guided with had one of those "twisted ribbons", and she'd done 20 years service.

Cazbly
18th February 2011, 07:44 PM
From memory - it is "twists" with a different engraving or stone for the 10/20/30/40 years - but I think you need exception eyesight to work it out ... I was shown one with a diamond in the end - that is the high end - and the diamond sure was teeny!

princessrebec
18th February 2011, 08:11 PM
It's a 10 year. I'm not sure i can tell the difference between them!!

falkland1
18th February 2011, 08:50 PM
I dont think my 10 has a stone. Must go see what is on my tab...I just keep adding to it

princessrebec
18th February 2011, 08:54 PM
Mine's not got a stone just an engraved trefoil.

Cazbly
20th February 2011, 08:33 PM
Ok, I have found some info:

10 years - twisted ribbon GGUK logo on right hand end
20 years - twisted ribbon GGUK logo on right hand end and pierced star on left.
30 years - twisted ribbon GGUK logo on right hand end, pierced star with central diamond on left
40 years - twisted ribbon GGUK logo on right hand end, pierced star with central diamond on left and gilt top (front) edges to twist

WoodLey
20th February 2011, 08:59 PM
My Yorkshire Rose is the badge that has remained on my tab throughout. I do have a Scottish Thistle and a Staffordshire Knot (and keep meaning to get a BGIFC Galleon to go with them!), but even though I no longer live there, I am from Yorkshire, and always will be, and I'm proud of that! So the rose stays.

I would just love to get a BGIFC galleon badge as I did my guider training at a RAF camp in Berlin, Germany and have nothing to show for it on my uniform/tab, I even took my union jack badge off my sleeve as my new UK DC at the time said it was only for when I was abroad. Being a 'new guider' I never questioned her word.
Please can anyone tell me where I can get a galleon badge from?

ElfOwl
20th February 2011, 09:02 PM
I would just love to get a BGIFC galleon badge as I did my guider training at a RAF camp in Berlin, Germany and have nothing to show for it on my uniform/tab, I even took my union jack badge off my sleeve as my new UK DC at the time said it was only for when I was abroad. Being a 'new guider' I never questioned her word.
Please can anyone tell me where I can get a galleon badge from?

http://www.bgifc.org.uk/merchandise.html The BGIFC website, merchandise page.

WoodLey
20th February 2011, 09:19 PM
http://www.bgifc.org.uk/merchandise.html The BGIFC website, merchandise page.

You are a star - thank you so much
This site and it's members are fantastic!

jennthedeadfunkyranger
20th February 2011, 09:53 PM
They also don't need payment upfront, just send an invoice so you pay after

WoodLey
21st February 2011, 02:19 AM
They also don't need payment upfront, just send an invoice so you pay after

Thank you - I have ordered my badge and just a couple of other items, well I just got tempted!

Elledreamer
22nd February 2011, 01:14 AM
I think I currently have 6 badges on my tab. Admitedly one is a fun badge but I like it cos it brightens my tab up. Will post a pic at some point when I get round to it!

ker-stee
22nd February 2011, 09:09 AM
I need to remove the centenary badges from my badge tabs!! Got loads I can fill it up with though! :D

Pipit
22nd February 2011, 09:47 AM
Have a question that's been bugging me for a while now. What, if any, are the current rules regarding when sectional badges have to come down?

I gain my Queen's Guide in March 1984, the very last month you could as a guide. I worn it with pride when I was a young leader/ranger but, as the rules stood at the time, had to remove it when I was 18 as it was a guide sectional badge and as an adult I could only where the highest awadr gained as a ranger or YL so it was a choice between my YL bar or my ranger service star. I opted for my YL bar as it seemed more appropriate to my current role but then replace this with my Campers Licence as the rule then was promise, world + 1 award.

In recent years I have seen many Guiders wearing their BP-Challenge badge so I'm guessing rule have eased regarding sectional badges. Does this mean I can now wear my Queen's Guide on my Guider's tab?

I already do this in the unit but have always taken it down for official occassions. I guess now there is no rule on numbers my ranger/YL badges could also go back up could they?

Marie
22nd February 2011, 06:39 PM
As far as I can find in the manual, there are no rules at all regarding what we can or can't wear on our badge tabs. It is purely down to personal choice and taste. So by all means wear your Queen's Guide badge.

EmStar
1st March 2011, 12:54 PM
I just got my adult Guide leader's badge tab this weekend :-D I'm transfering some of my badges over from my old YL tab as I've just come back to guiding from a seven year break. I know there's not rules as such anymore but is it the done thing to put my old YLQ white bar on? I'm 25 (scarily close to 26) and currently working towards the ALQ if that makes any difference. I've also got my Vision promise badge, county badge and world badge on it.

Cazbly
1st March 2011, 01:42 PM
I just got my adult Guide leader's badge tab this weekend :-D I'm transfering some of my badges over from my old YL tab as I've just come back to guiding from a seven year break. I know there's not rules as such anymore but is it the done thing to put my old YLQ white bar on? I'm 25 (scarily close to 26) and currently working towards the ALQ if that makes any difference. I've also got my Vision promise badge, county badge and world badge on it.

You can - not sure that I see the point in it, but it is your choice :)

trouble2
1st March 2011, 01:43 PM
I don't wear my tab on the right as it feels very uncomfortable (proberly coz i'm left handed). I have never been told to change sides by anyone. Also when i was district com I was told to take some of my badges off my tab because there was too many, i said I wasn't going to as i earnt them so why couldn't i wear them, they had no answer to that

Cazbly
1st March 2011, 01:47 PM
I don't wear my tab on the right as it feels very uncomfortable (proberly coz i'm left handed). I have never been told to change sides by anyone. Also when i was district com I was told to take some of my badges off my tab because there was too many, i said I wasn't going to as i earnt them so why couldn't i wear them, they had no answer to that

That's interesting. I am left handed too - but have no problem with wearing mine on the right.

How individual we all are!

EmStar
1st March 2011, 01:51 PM
You can - not sure that I see the point in it, but it is your choice :)

Thanks, I just put the three on (2010 promise, county and world) and I really like how balanced it looks so the YLQ bar can join the rest of my old metal badges on my Guide teddy. Sure I'll be trying to fit more on the tab soon though!

ademore
1st March 2011, 02:56 PM
Probably an odd question for you all - but I have three badges on my tab, my promise one, my centenary one and a key - how do you earn other badges, do they come with the licenses that you can earn?

Pipit
1st March 2011, 03:17 PM
They can be bought or earned depending on what they are.

First of all I'm assuming the "Key" you refer to is your country badge. All counties have a different one.

From time to time there will be celebration badges such as your centenary one. I have no doubt there will be one for the Queen's diamond jubilee in 2012 for example.

There are badges you earn by gaining qualifications such as the one you will get when you complete your ALQ and ones you get for service to GGUK such as long service awards.

There is one other badge that you could buy and wear right now; the world badge. This can be worn by any member of a national association that is part of WAGGGS.

Of course, with the lack of rules, in theory you can buy and wear whatever event/novelty badges you want.

I always wear my promise badge (2010 one atm), world badge, long service award and county badge but then, so as not to be too cluttered, fluctuate between camper's licence & queen's guide but never my ALQ - I think it's too big for the tab - personal preference.

catdrew
1st March 2011, 05:02 PM
my badge tab is full now i think and i'm very tempted to buy a new one instead as i now do rainbows then keep my old badges intact and safe not on my polo shirt.

RainbowC
1st March 2011, 11:19 PM
I have promise and 2010 promise, world, county, ALQ and a sweet little Rainbow bear. If/when I ever receive my overnight license badge I'll take the ALQ badge off, but at the moment it's still new enough that I want to wear it (even though the other guiders in my unit were the county rainbows advisor and a commissioner, so it seemed a tad cheeky that I was the only wearing a badge saying I was qualified!). I was wearing a centenary badge, but have put that on my blanket now. If I'd been to a formal Thinking Day event, I might have got a metal badge for that, but couldn't get to our district's event.

RainbowC
6th March 2011, 03:58 PM
And just a few days after that, I finally got my license stuff back! Badge is now on my tab, and my little Me to You leader bear has a brand new camp blanket with my spare pin badges on :)

Tinsel
12th March 2011, 06:29 PM
I've only been helping as a leader in training since September last years and don't have a badge tab yet, but seeing all of yours has made me want to go and get one now! I've got a couple I can put on there and I'm sure there will be more over the years :) I also have a couple of questions! Firstly, I made my promise as a Brownie about 15 years ago now, and would like a navy leader promise badge. Does anyone know if I need to re-do my promise to get one? Secondly, where do you get hold of your county badges? Im in Somerset and would like one to add to my badge tab when it arrives! Thirdly, I have recently done a First Aid qualification through a guiding training day, does this mean I am allowed to wear a first aid badge, and where would I get one?

Thanks!! xxx

RainbowC
13th March 2011, 02:38 PM
Hi and welcome Tinsel :)

As part of your ALQ (leadership qualification) you need to talk to a member of your choice about your understanding of the promise, and when you're ready, to renew your promise. You should be given the dark blue Leaders' promise badge then. I'm not sure where county badges come from - I was given mine when I made my promise, so maybe another leader in your unit or district might know. Otherwise, I'd recommend contacting your county HQ and asking them. :) The Fist Aid qualification badge is for a specific qualification that can be done for residentials/camps, not just for the First Response course that you do as part of the Leadership qual.

You are able to wear a World badge on your tab, if you wish, too.

Hope this helps :)

Tinsel
13th March 2011, 04:56 PM
Ooh great thanks that helps a lot! I'm currently waiting to be given a mentor so when I do eventually get one I'll ask about renewing my promise and about the county badge :) Thanks for your help!

jennthedeadfunkyranger
16th March 2011, 11:24 AM
And until you remake your promise as a leader you can wear your Brownie promise badge

Smartie
16th March 2011, 02:27 PM
If you are in Somerset, if nothing else you can get yourself a metal county badge from the shop in bath :) they will also stock the world badge if you wanted one of those too!

Kiwi26
16th March 2011, 02:41 PM
I was given my county and world badges when I made my senior section promise. Before then, I was given silks for my sashes

Smartie
16th March 2011, 07:58 PM
I was given my county and world badges when I made my senior section promise. Before then, I was given silks for my sashes

That varies very much per area. Still don't have a bristol one :( was a YL/GIC there for 7 years!

Elledreamer
20th March 2011, 03:25 PM
Finally, here is a pic of my tab. Not very good quality I'm afraid. I have my Rainbow fun badge, my Promise Badge and 2010 Promise Badge, Lancs Rose, Girls in the Lead and 100 Years of Memories at the moment! :)

Tinsel
20th March 2011, 05:30 PM
I have a picture of my badge tab but don't know how to get it on here without uploading it to somewhere like flickr. Can anybody explain how to do it please?? :)

Tinsel
20th March 2011, 09:41 PM
If you are in Somerset, if nothing else you can get yourself a metal county badge from the shop in bath :) they will also stock the world badge if you wanted one of those too!

Cool thanks smartie :) I've got hold of a world badge from the girlguidinguk online shop, if I don't get given a county one when I make my promise I might have to make a little shopping trip to bath to get one!

Tinsel
20th March 2011, 10:32 PM
Finally found out how to upload pictures! So here is my new first ever badge tab :D Its kind of bare at the moment, only got my centenary finale promise badge, world badge and a brownie bear badge. Hopefully I'll be renewing my promise as a leader soon though so I'll also have my leader promise badge on there :)

Jo_1983
21st March 2011, 11:42 AM
hey, this is my badge tab - my young leaders one... havent yet got my leaders one, as i've had a break in guiding... what colour/style would it be if i was looking to find an old one that would be in the same era as my young leader one? as i would quite like to get one for then, and then my new one once i've sorted my rejoining stuff?

Jo

jennthedeadfunkyranger
21st March 2011, 05:30 PM
It depends what section you are with - there is a coloured stripe across the top to show the section. Pale blue for Rainbows, Yellow for Brownies, dark blue for Guides and aqua for SS Guiders

catdrew
21st March 2011, 05:43 PM
the ones to match your old yl one are a dark navy with coloured strips down the sides to denote which section you work with. so it was green for rainbows, yellow for brownies, blue for guides and aqua (i believe) for yl guider. trefoil guilds has always been red.

Jo_1983
21st March 2011, 08:25 PM
thanks Jen and catdrew, you are super!

RainbowC
22nd March 2011, 09:13 AM
the ones to match your old yl one are a dark navy with coloured strips down the sides to denote which section you work with. so it was green for rainbows, yellow for brownies, blue for guides and aqua (i believe) for yl guider. trefoil guilds has always been red.

I don't know if the YL one was aqua, or if that might have been rangers, and YL guiders had white (if there was ever a seperate species of leader for YLs). I have my mother-in-law's old tab, and I know she did both Brownies and YL stuff (but never heard her talk about rangers) - hers has white stripes down the sides. I had a 20+ year gap between leaving guides and coming back as a leader, so am very happy to be corrected by anyone who knows! :)

jennthedeadfunkyranger
22nd March 2011, 09:24 AM
I know the Ranger ones were definitely aqua

I do seem to remember a version of the Guiders' tab with white stripes, but that could have been for commissioners or something.

And Rangers and YLs had different tabs then too -plain aqua for Rangers, and aqua with white stripes for YLs. I got my tab from Rangers, but never got one as a YL so used the Ranger one for both

Marie
22nd March 2011, 06:09 PM
I don't know if the YL one was aqua, or if that might have been rangers, and YL guiders had white (if there was ever a seperate species of leader for YLs).

You are correct - there were YL Guiders and their badge tab had the white stripes. Ranger Guiders' badge tabs had aqua stripes.

There was also a plain navy blue badge tab for appointment holders - just as now there is a badge tab without a coloured stripe across the top. Often worn by commissioners, can be worn by anyone who doesn't want to wear a section-specific badge tab.

Kiwi26
22nd March 2011, 06:11 PM
Cerys80 is selling a few old badge tabs, you might be able to get one from her :)

KatieW
23rd March 2011, 12:54 AM
If you're after an old-style badge tab, I have a Guide Guiders' one spare (blue stripes down each side). Not sure if it says "Girl Guides" or "Guide Association" on it but I can find it if you want.

Below are my old badge tabs, my Ranger one, YL (with the white stripes) and my old-style Guide Guider one. These are going on my camp blanket. The old one has badges I used to wear.

Also I have my current Badge Tab.
From top:
Nottinghamshire County
Adult Promise
Centenary Promise
10-yr Service
World Badge
Europe Badge (Older style)
Changing the World
Adventure 100.

I'd still be wearing my YL bar if I had the room. Perhaps if my unit ever wear neckers again I could use the county silk, then I can remove the Notts one and add the YL bar!

Ems
25th March 2011, 01:52 AM
Stupid question - what is the ALQ badge like? I did the "old" syllabus and didn't get anything when I completed it....

Marie
25th March 2011, 03:32 PM
It's rectangular, two shades of blue and it says "Leadership Qualification" on it.

There's a photo showing the badge in message 55 (page 6) of this thread.

katiehockey
3rd April 2011, 08:44 PM
I got told off for wearing more than 4 badges on my tab apparently you can only wear 4 :confused:

Marie
4th April 2011, 06:23 PM
That used to be the case (actually, I think it was promise plus four) but that rule has gone - around the time the manual went online, I think. I have just looked in the manual and couldn't find any mention of badge tabs at all.

Unfortunately, one of the big downsides of the manual being online is that it is not easy to spot what's changed or when it changed so a lot of Guiders find it hard to keep up to date with all the rules.

jaquic81
10th April 2011, 01:44 PM
http://www.guiders.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9796

as you can see I'm a firm subscriber to the 'more is more' school of thought. And thanks to Jenbug for the sheepy!

jaquic81
10th April 2011, 01:45 PM
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=48373&id=100000327422812&saved

as you can see I'm a firm subscriber to the 'more is more' school of thought. And thanks to Jenbug for the sheepy!

aw, photo's not working :(

entropy
10th April 2011, 02:09 PM
I'll post a pic when ive moved the badges from my broken SS badge tab to my new guider one yay. I know ive got my bronze D of E, at least two promise badges, Our cabana gold badge and something else... =)

katiehockey
13th April 2011, 01:05 PM
That used to be the case (actually, I think it was promise plus four) but that rule has gone - around the time the manual went online, I think. I have just looked in the manual and couldn't find any mention of badge tabs at all.

Unfortunately, one of the big downsides of the manual being online is that it is not easy to spot what's changed or when it changed so a lot of Guiders find it hard to keep up to date with all the rules.

Aha so i can now wear more than 4 badges? can i wear both my ss promise and 2010 promise badges on my tab??? :)

KatieW
14th April 2011, 09:31 PM
Aha so i can now wear more than 4 badges? can i wear both my ss promise and 2010 promise badges on my tab??? :)

I have my old Adult Promise, and my Centenary Promise next to each other, so yes you can!

Cazbly
15th April 2011, 12:18 AM
I have TG Promise, Adult Promise, Centenary Promise, 1st Aid, 20 Year Award, County Badge and World Badge on mine I think.

carrottop
21st April 2011, 01:57 AM
i'm glad i found this thread. my CC always called me naughty for having too many badges on my tab, but being the rebel i am i kept them all on there, now I know i can wear them all and not feel bad!! i'll have to see if i can squeeze some more on...although need room for my camp/holiday licence one soon!

entropy
24th April 2011, 09:50 PM
theres a few missing i need my world badge, and my 100 badge. and to swap BP for LQ x

Cazbly
24th April 2011, 10:35 PM
theres a few missing i need my world badge, and my 100 badge. and to swap BP for LQ x

I think you need a county badge (or two) too :)

entropy
24th April 2011, 11:38 PM
i do indeed need two county badges, and i can afford to lose a promise badge (or two!) so i can make them fit =)

on that note where can i buy county badges online?

Cazbly
24th April 2011, 11:41 PM
i do indeed need two county badges, and i can afford to lose a promise badge (or two!) so i can make them fit =)

on that note where can i buy county badges online?

I usually go to the county badge secretary - contact your county team and ask... if you are not sure who they are, raise the request via region because they are easy to find and ask them to point you to the contact for the county. You may go through 4 or 5 people before you hit the right one, but it is well worth doing.

entropy
24th April 2011, 11:48 PM
cool i'll do that it just means i have to do it twice!

ducky
25th April 2011, 12:06 AM
I've realised looking at some of your tabs, that I actually don't have any of my camp licence badges or first aid badge, and looked on the GGUK shop and can't find either, where would I get them from?

Cazbly
25th April 2011, 12:06 AM
cool i'll do that it just means i have to do it twice!

Go for it - get 2 for Durham if you can and I will buy one off you as I have not got that area yet ... makes it more worthwhile then.

Kiwi26
26th April 2011, 01:40 PM

Where did you get that scout pin from? I'd love one for my badge tab :)

entropy
26th April 2011, 01:53 PM
the scout website has some i think it was 1 and their postage is cheap too, i ordered a few of their old centenary things as well theres a lot of good value stuff on there its worth a look

Kiwi26
26th April 2011, 06:46 PM
Cool thank you :)

RainbowC
26th April 2011, 11:37 PM
I've realised looking at some of your tabs, that I actually don't have any of my camp licence badges or first aid badge, and looked on the GGUK shop and can't find either, where would I get them from?

If you got them recently, I guess your county badge secretary may be able to help. Older ones are usually picked up via eBay or the classifieds on here. :)

ducky
27th April 2011, 08:40 AM
it would be 3-4 years ago.

Marie
7th May 2011, 01:20 AM

I believe they're only available via Badge Secretaries - and usually only the relevant adviser can order them from the Badge Sec. You should have been given a badge along with your certificate when you completed the qualification, so start by having a word with your DC or the adviser who signed your book off.

entropy
7th May 2011, 02:49 AM
Ive just been told there is a limit of 5 badges on a badge tab but ive also read that there is no limit, which is true?

Smartie
7th May 2011, 08:22 AM
Ive just been told there is a limit of 5 badges on a badge tab but ive also read that there is no limit, which is true?

There used to be a limit, but it was taken out in the last edition of the manual :)

entropy
8th May 2011, 11:43 PM
YES see thats what I thought but my CC said otherwise =/

I currently have 11 on there so a limit would be BAD

Marie
9th May 2011, 01:10 AM
Your CC is out of date, but good luck with finding a tactful way of telling her so! Smartie is correct, there used to be a statement in the manual about the number of badges we were allowed to wear, but there isn't any more.

What about wearing some of your badges in your collar instead of your badge tab? That is allowed, for want of a better word.

KatieW
9th May 2011, 01:49 PM
Your CC is out of date, but good luck with finding a tactful way of telling her so! Smartie is correct, there used to be a statement in the manual about the number of badges we were allowed to wear, but there isn't any more.

What about wearing some of your badges in your collar instead of your badge tab? That is allowed, for want of a better word.

It's perfectly acceptable to wear a Promise badge on your collar instead of tab! Also if your unit wears neckers you can have a ribbon County badge on the back, instead of a Metal one on a tab.

entropy
9th May 2011, 03:15 PM
meh at the moment they all fit on my badge tab, i'll move some when i get more!

KatieW
9th May 2011, 03:24 PM
I'm wondering how you can fit 11 badges on without it looking too cramped! Can you post a pic??

Cazbly
9th May 2011, 06:21 PM
I'm wondering how you can fit 11 badges on without it looking too cramped! Can you post a pic??

Glad it is not just me trying to work that one out!

chopperchick
9th May 2011, 06:36 PM
I'm feeling in one of those "awkward" moods today - so I'm away off home to find more badges to add to mine in the hope of finding someone who'll say "you can't have that many on your tab" ......... I want to beat 11 now!!!

Cazbly
9th May 2011, 07:32 PM
I'm feeling in one of those "awkward" moods today - so I'm away off home to find more badges to add to mine in the hope of finding someone who'll say "you can't have that many on your tab" ......... I want to beat 11 now!!!

Just post a picture of the end product please!

Perhaps we ought to have this as a kind of record breakers attempt ... if you pin a tab to a tab, does that form a legitimate extension and so on and so forth????

Quack
9th May 2011, 10:41 PM
May be legitimate but a definate health hazard, you could knock yourself out when running, and just think of the bruising!!! We don't call them boob bashers for nothing!

Cazbly
9th May 2011, 10:50 PM
I would have thought too much weight could lead to uniform malfunction as well - when your polo shirt slides straight down off your shoulders and only stops when it hits the floor.

Marie
10th May 2011, 01:01 PM
It's perfectly acceptable to wear a Promise badge on your collar instead of tab!

In my collar at the moment, I have my 20/10 Promise badge, Good Service brooch, polar bear patrol emblem, membership pin from another Guiding forum and membership pin of the county campsite 50:50 club. No-one has ever tried to tell me I shouldn't be wearing any - or all - of them in my collar, or at all (technically, I suppose, I shouldn't wear the patrol emblem).

Yorkielass
10th May 2011, 04:49 PM
I'd get so annoyed taking them all off each week to wash the top.

jennthedeadfunkyranger
10th May 2011, 05:03 PM
I don't bother washing my uniform after each week - I'm only wearing it for a few hours

KatieW
10th May 2011, 05:15 PM
I don't bother washing my uniform after each week - I'm only wearing it for a few hours

Glad I'm not the only one that does that!!

catdrew
10th May 2011, 05:31 PM
trouble is i do the small red things so it normally does need a wash afterwards what with glue, glitter, flour, icing and even cress seeds mine is usually covered. as a yl i used to have badges on my collar but i somehow didnt get so covered with brownies as i do now.

my tab has abotu 7/8 badges on currently and i have yet to decide if i should get a new rainbow one for my new role and consign my old one to a box to keep safe.

jennthedeadfunkyranger
10th May 2011, 06:14 PM
Ah, with the blue people that tends not to be an issue as they plan and run their own things, and even if they are doing messy things you can be less hands on

KatieW
10th May 2011, 06:15 PM
trouble is i do the small red things so it normally does need a wash afterwards what with glue, glitter, flour, icing and even cress seeds mine is usually covered. as a yl i used to have badges on my collar but i somehow didnt get so covered with brownies as i do now.

my tab has abotu 7/8 badges on currently and i have yet to decide if i should get a new rainbow one for my new role and consign my old one to a box to keep safe.

Ah yes, the small red things mean you do get messy! I do the blue ones so don't tend to get covered quite so much!

snowy91
10th May 2011, 10:08 PM
my badge tab has...
promise badge
2010 promise badge
adventure 100 badge
alq badge

Yorkielass
11th May 2011, 12:37 AM
I wear my uniform for at least 5-6 hours & will have been rushing around after Brownies and Guides for a couple of hours of that time so my polo certainly gets a wash each week, well I have two & my centenary one. My hoodie doesn't but I don't tend to wear that that often.

Back on topic I'm trying to double up some of my badges so I can have a Guide tab and a Brownie tab and don't have to swap badges over.

Marie
11th May 2011, 10:52 AM
I'd get so annoyed taking them all off each week to wash the top.

They're in the collar of my outer layer - gilet at the moment, hoodie in the winter, and that tends to spend most of the meeting over the back of a chair - most weeks I only wear it for opening and closing horseshoes. I don't usually pin things to my polo shirt because of the hassle when I come to wash it. My gilet and hoodie tend to only get washed once or twice a year unless I spill something on them!

Little A
11th May 2011, 02:19 PM
Keep seeing a camp/holiday licence badge on these tabs, is that a regional thing? Or is it yet another badge to add to the list of the ones I'm owed?

Cazbly
11th May 2011, 06:46 PM
Keep seeing a camp/holiday licence badge on these tabs, is that a regional thing? Or is it yet another badge to add to the list of the ones I'm owed?

If you have completed your camp/holiday licences, then you are entitled to the badges.

Lette
12th May 2011, 05:53 PM
I've currently got 7 on mine!
I am owed two more which could go on so god knows where they will fit.

KatieW
12th May 2011, 05:58 PM
Cool, you've got a Blue Peter Badge! That's awesome! I like how you've put the badges on but it's balanced!

Lette
12th May 2011, 06:33 PM
Blue Peter badge is the one that gets the most comments! Brownies think I'm really important because I have one so listen to me, its so funny.

Cazbly
12th May 2011, 06:53 PM
Going to say I love that Notts one at the bottom - are they available to buy?

KatieW
12th May 2011, 06:58 PM
Yes Caz they are, although not sure if the shop has any in stock at the moment as I haven't checked.

Cazbly
12th May 2011, 07:29 PM
Would you be able to check/get one for me?

I will obviously pay cost of badge and postage :)

ker-stee
12th May 2011, 07:34 PM
I need to post a photo of mine...!

KatieW
12th May 2011, 07:47 PM
Would you be able to check/get one for me?

I will obviously pay cost of badge and postage :)

Yes I'll have a look for you, but not sure when I'll be able to get back to the shop, is that OK?

Cazbly
12th May 2011, 07:52 PM
Yes I'll have a look for you, but not sure when I'll be able to get back to the shop, is that OK?

Of course, no urgency at all but it does tie in with the region and county badge collection that I have on the go, so whenever would be great. Thanks :)

Snowy_Laura
12th May 2011, 11:47 PM
On my Senior Section Badge Tab, I've got:

My Young Leader Promise Badge
My Bronze DofE Badge
My Centenary Promise Badge
My Snowy Owl :)

snowy91
13th May 2011, 12:56 AM
snowy_laura....where did you get the snowy owl from?

Abs
13th May 2011, 08:47 AM
thinks its an rspb bird!

ker-stee
13th May 2011, 09:07 AM
My Rainbow tab...

I'm not sure where my Brownie Leader one is....

KatieW
13th May 2011, 12:05 PM
Ker-steeeeeeeeeeeeee where did you get the little silver Salute badge? That's really cute!

ker-stee
13th May 2011, 12:06 PM
It was a gift from a leader in Gibralter, was given it at Centenary Camp! :)

ITs so pretty.

Snowy_Laura
13th May 2011, 05:21 PM
thinks its an rspb bird!

Yeah snowy91 it is an rspb bird, my Brown Owl bought it for me when I became an owl to replace my old 'Jay' that I used to be.

snowy91
13th May 2011, 07:57 PM
Yeah snowy91 it is an rspb bird, my Brown Owl bought it for me when I became an owl to replace my old 'Jay' that I used to be.

cool :)
i really want a snowy badge

MarthaFmF
14th June 2011, 03:52 PM
i dont have a picture of my badge tab but on it i have:
SS promise Badge
County Badge
Jack petchy award badge
vision promise badge
BP challenge badge
moving up to ss from guides badge

megs
11th July 2011, 12:20 AM
All I have is my SS promise badge and my centenary badge
I had my world badge, plan badge and something else before but I re-decorated my room and they ended up in the wrong bin bag I think and got slung.

Is the Young Leaders bar still going?

KatieW
11th July 2011, 12:36 AM
YL Bars aren't awarded any more but you might find them in some shops/depots. I know that Nottingham shop has some left, they're 1.07 each.

RachaelVenters
11th July 2011, 11:09 AM
Aaaaaargh!!! Every time I squeeze on more than the "4 plus promise" formerly permitted I get told to remove some. I also got told I couldn't wear a NEE pin badge on tab as I don't have a specific role in it! But Yorkshire Rose is fine! My collars tend to be quite heavy with extra badges!

Cazbly
11th July 2011, 07:43 PM
All I have is my SS promise badge and my centenary badge
I had my world badge, plan badge and something else before but I re-decorated my room and they ended up in the wrong bin bag I think and got slung.

Is the Young Leaders bar still going?

I have a spare available for swap if you are interested.

ker-stee
11th July 2011, 09:31 PM
I've lost mine somewhere :(

Cazbly
11th July 2011, 09:52 PM
I've lost mine somewhere :(

If you are meaning YL bar - good job I have two spare then :)

One for you too!

ker-stee
11th July 2011, 09:54 PM
No, I meant my badge tabs in general!

Rosie!
19th July 2011, 12:57 PM
Reading this makes me feel slightly ashamed that I don't wear my badge tab- to be honest I hardly even wear my promise badge!
This has inspired me though so i will start weraing my tab, with my promiose badge and my 2010 promise badge. will have to start colelcting others! i'll put my DofE silver on there too :)

Jennifer
19th July 2011, 01:04 PM
i only wear mine for unit meetings and church parade.........................

Curious_cactus
19th July 2011, 02:45 PM
This is my Trefoil Guild tab and my tab from when I was a Brownie Guider.

Kiwi26
20th July 2011, 11:06 AM
I'll be getting my adult badge tab soon, just wondered what badges I can put on there that I've already earnt? (sorry for silly question lol)

ScareyClarey
20th July 2011, 12:21 PM
I have my Baden Powel badge I earnt at Guides on mine, even though it was 17 (eek) years ago & I have had a break from guiding since then until last year.

It is in pride of place, I'm glad I can wear it again.

But it is also sewn on as I don't trust the pin!

KatieW
20th July 2011, 12:58 PM
I'll be getting my adult badge tab soon, just wondered what badges I can put on there that I've already earnt? (sorry for silly question lol)

You can put on there whatever means things to you! I used to have my YL bar on mine but took it off cos I had no room. Obviously there's your Promise badge, county badge if you want to wear that too. If you have BP or any SS Awards they can go on there if you wish.

Kiwi26
20th July 2011, 02:18 PM
Cool thank you :)

KatieW
20th July 2011, 02:24 PM
No problem! Post a photo when you're done! :)

CampBeanz
20th July 2011, 06:23 PM
At the minute i have on mine:

SS promise badge
Centenary promise badge
County Bagde
2 year guide challenge badge
BP badge
Changing the world badge
world badge

fenris
20th July 2011, 06:25 PM

Anyone can put on a County/Country Badge and a World Badge, and a Promise badge if they have one.

Saramateeni
21st July 2011, 12:58 AM
I've just about managed to fit my (few) badges on here... Does anyone else think (and I know this sounds really ungrateful...) that the ALQ badge is just stupidly massive for no reason? I'm still ridiculously happy that I have it though :D

Smartie
21st July 2011, 09:07 AM
It is big - it hangs off the bottom of my tab! Mind you, I do have 3 tabs full of badges! And am waiting for my chief guides, and have nearly finished my gold d of e and queens guide! Will have to do some serious selecting then!

Saramateeni
21st July 2011, 10:21 AM
I wonder if they'll ever redesign it so it's a bar like before... Maybe a different colour depending on your section or something! (obviously with a trefoil on it though)

MarthaFmF
21st July 2011, 10:59 AM
a badge i have on my ss tab is ridicluously large...its to symbolise i was a guide but its HUGE!!!

Kiwi26
21st July 2011, 11:22 AM
My county badge takes up most of the space on my SS tab. They really don't think about tab/badge sizes do they lol

MarthaFmF
21st July 2011, 11:25 AM
My county badge takes up most of the space on my SS tab. They really don't think about tab/badge sizes do they lol

same here!!!

Saramateeni
21st July 2011, 12:14 PM
My county badge is huge too! My OH has just bought me a old Brown Owl warrant badge for completing my ALQ and it's teeny! Only slightly bigger than the 100 oval silver centenary pin - I do love it though and I'll wear it on my tab until they tell me not to xx

Kiwi26
21st July 2011, 12:15 PM
What's that look like? Can you post a pic? :)

KatieW
21st July 2011, 12:16 PM
You don't have to wear the badge on your tab though, you could wear it pinned to your top above your tab. That's what I do with my LQ badge, it won't fit otherwise!

Saramateeni
21st July 2011, 12:37 PM
I've just about managed to fit him on :) apparently it's from the 1920's, but I have no idea other than that!

KatieW I'm such a slattern when it comes to laundry that I always forget to unpin things attached to clothes, so as many badges on one unpinnable thing is best! (DD has lost two Promise badges this way *bad mother*)

Kiwi26
21st July 2011, 12:43 PM
Aww thats cute. I never realised they were that small. They look so big in the photos

Saramateeni
21st July 2011, 12:45 PM
I know! I was really surprised because I though it would be massive and it was this little teeny delicate thing. Is really pretty and detailed though, pictures really don't do it justice :D

fenris
21st July 2011, 12:59 PM
The problem with County/Country badges was that they were designed for the uniforms pre-1990 where they were worn on hats - they had to be a reasonable size or they would have been invisible. Some areas have since changed their badges to different designs/smaller sizes, but others haven't.

Saramateeni
21st July 2011, 02:50 PM
Ah! I never knew that! Thanks Fenris :) I am very tempted to get an old Guider hat off eBay... :D We're doing old school Brownies for our 40th Birthday and it would look mighty awesome...

scotchmi5t
22nd July 2011, 06:11 PM
The ALQ badge is also rather large so I have pinned mine right at the very bottom of my tab, the pin is only just on the tab.

Allyj50
22nd July 2011, 11:42 PM
Have pity on Lancs South ....the badge is a diamond or lozenge shape with the pin acrosswards ie side to side ... I wear mine when doing brownies on my badge tab and catch my t shirt slightly ...

Saramateeni
23rd July 2011, 02:21 PM
I always end up poking myself with mine! I nearly took DS's eye out last week with it! You're not too far away from me at all :) xx

jennthedeadfunkyranger
26th July 2011, 04:10 PM
I don't have a LQ badge - they didn't exist when I did my LQ, and the area I was a Guider in at teh time was not one of the ones to buy a badge for all existing leaders, and I've just never got round to getting one.

KatieW
26th July 2011, 04:21 PM
I don't have a LQ badge - they didn't exist when I did my LQ, and the area I was a Guider in at teh time was not one of the ones to buy a badge for all existing leaders, and I've just never got round to getting one.

I got one a few weeks ago. I was advised that I could have one but would have to buy it!

bramblebush
26th July 2011, 04:51 PM
I never got any sort of bar or badge on doing warrant, should I have done?

gingy1993
26th July 2011, 05:03 PM

What's The Little One On The Bottom Left?

fenris
26th July 2011, 05:56 PM
Ah! I never knew that! Thanks Fenris :) I am very tempted to get an old Guider hat off eBay... :D We're doing old school Brownies for our 40th Birthday and it would look mighty awesome...

I used to have to wear one - still got mine - they were the most impractical things! They were designed to perch on top of your head, but unless you attempted accupuncture with hatpins (which was only effective for those with long hair tied back), then the slightest breeze sent them flying, and as they didn't fold they were hopeless to pack too!

fenris
26th July 2011, 05:57 PM
I never got any sort of bar or badge on doing warrant, should I have done?

They only brought them out in the last couple of years or so, many Counties decided that they were only going to supply them for those who gained the qualification after they came out; anyone else who was eligible and wanted one would have to buy their own.

Storm Owl
26th July 2011, 07:13 PM
Updated mine for the 2011-2012 Guiding year :c)

Saramateeni
26th July 2011, 07:16 PM
I love the little genie lamp badges - what are they for??

Storm Owl
26th July 2011, 07:30 PM
Those are my completed training badges. Green is Residential Camping, Yellow is Tenting, and Pink is for doing the equivalent of a Guides ALQ - ironic since I only did Guides for a couple months...

While I'm at it, below that is my Bronze Unit Guider award - given for outstanding service in their 1st-3rd year as a Guider. (I had stepped into a Spark unit towards the end of a year and managed to put together a sleepover for the unit without much help from the other two leaders - who had been there all year and not given the girls a sleepover yet.)
The Gold one with maple leaves is a Gold Thanks Award - given to me this year for stepping up as co-responsible Guider for our District Gamp this Spring - no one else was going to help plan and the camp was at risk of being cancelled.

Cazbly
28th July 2011, 09:59 PM
Glad to see the Vision promise badge still in there :)

Storm Owl
29th July 2011, 06:35 PM
Glad to see the Vision promise badge still in there :)

Well I can still wear that until 2012 right? :cD I've pulled off my Canadian one as no one is wearing that one around here anymore.

MarthaFmF
29th July 2011, 06:39 PM
Well I can still wear that until 2012 right? :cD I've pulled off my Canadian one as no one is wearing that one around here anymore.

I didnt know there was a time limit for wearing our vision promise badges :(

Cazbly
29th July 2011, 06:55 PM

You can!

After 2012 our Vision promise badges are relegated to history.

(Martha, it has been well publicised)

MarthaFmF
29th July 2011, 06:57 PM
(Martha, it has been well publicised)

I didnt know...:( I feel like I let Cazlby down...:(

Kiwi26
10th August 2011, 01:11 PM
Do you need a badge tab for each section you work with? Or can you just use your main section tab for all sections? (I think that made sense?)

TJ.
10th August 2011, 01:27 PM
Dunno what you're supposed to do, but I just wear my Brownie one for everything. I still think, given the amount of people who work with multiple sections, that they should just do a plain badge tab with pips or coloured bars to represent the sections you work with, instead of building the colour into the badge tab.