PDA

View Full Version : First Response renewal

Betty Brownie
17th January 2011, 09:05 AM
I know I should really know this, but how often do we need to renew our first response training- is it every three years? Worryingly, I can't seem to find the answer in the Guiding Manual! BBx

victoria
17th January 2011, 09:48 AM
Most first aid certificates are 3 years i know red cross are.

chopperchick
17th January 2011, 09:59 AM
Double-check what it is you're wanting to renew - as I might get a ticking off for saying this!
Technically, your GGUK "First Response" does not expire thus if it does not expire it cannot need renewed!

This assumes a couple of things :
A) that it is just the GGUK First Response you're talking about; Victoria mentions above Red Cross / 3 year-renewals - that's something different, which will more than likely require renewal otherwise it will expire.
B) you have only used your First Response for your ALQ / being a day-to-day leader. If however you are using your First Response as the basis of your first aid knowledge for any other guiding qualification or role you should check that particular qualification as to whether it does require to be "kept in date".

So, technically you don't go out of date with first response. However, GGUK advice is that your are "strongly encouraged" to ********* your first response so that you keep up-to-date with new / current advice / procedures etc.

Essentially, there is a subtle difference between "renewing" your first aid qualifications and "refreshing" your first aid knowledge. If you are just refreshing, then 3 years is the usual period.

chopperchick
17th January 2011, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure what I've done wrong as I didn't think it was that bad a word ...... but in my post above, the stars are supposed to say REFRESH ....... have tried to edit but maybe it thinks that's a swear word!

Wren
17th January 2011, 10:01 AM
Am wondering what word got starred out there!!!

We have to refresh our First Response every 3 years. Sounds like it's a local by-law if there is nothing official except what Chopperchick has mentioned above...

Wren
17th January 2011, 10:02 AM
Ah - wonder why....

chopperchick
17th January 2011, 10:10 AM
It's probably the one-time I'd agree with by-laws, Wren!!

I'm our county FR co-ordinator, and I encourage everyone to refresh every 3 years - but (unless you fall into my point B above) its not the end of the world if you don't go on a refresher EXACTLY within 3 years. Our county trainings are about 3 times a year, so I don't object if you are "due" at the end of January, but my next training isn't until mid-Feb!

Betty Brownie
17th January 2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks ladies, that makes a lot of sense as I know things like CPR etc seem to change every time I go. As for 'refresh' being a swear word... well!?!! BBx

jim
17th January 2011, 01:35 PM
This is WHAT GGUK says on the subject Any one who holds first responce can just update dosnt need the full course I do half day refreshers in our area run along side full 6 hr course
1st Response - information for Unit Leaders
1st Response is a first aid training course designed specifically for members of Girlguiding UK and The Scout Association. It aims to address the basic skills you need in managing first aid within guiding and scouting.

I have completed my 1st Response Certificate – do I have to renew it?

Girlguiding UK advises that Leaders continually update their first aid knowledge. Best practice is to update skills every three years. Depending on your level of knowledge and experience you may wish to attend a full 1st Response course or a shorter update. This will depend on what is offered in your local area.

We advise that Leaders definitely have the opportunity to practise CPR, the recovery position and severe bleeding every three years.
At renewal time 1st Response Trainers will draw your attention to any changes in first aid protocol that have occurred.

Is 1st Response valid for the Camp and Holiday Scheme?

Yes. However, your level of first aid knowledge should be relevant to the event and age group. If girls are taking part in activities or in locations which present a higher risk we recommend that you undertake further training.

Is 1st Response valid for the Health and First Aid Scheme – Training Opportunity?

1st Response covers Module 2 and parts of Module 3. The remaining parts of Module 3 as well as Modules 1 and 4, need to be worked on in addition.

I want more training. What should I do?

We recommend that a 16-hour practical and assessed course is the best grounding in general first aid management. The leading first aid providers offer these with 'Activity First Aid' from St John, and 'Practical First Aid' from the British Red Cross.

We recommend that the first aid course you undertake is relevant to your training needs. For example, if you are a Rainbow Leader you may wish to take an ‘early years’ focused course which looks at first aid for children and babies under eight. If you are interested in the outdoors and adventurous activities, we recommended an expedition first aid course. Ask your local first aid providers for details of courses with a specific focus.

I have a member with a medical condition in my unit, but not enough detail was covered in the 1st Response course. Where can I go for advice and support?

Many members of Girlguiding UK have medical conditions which need to be managed. This ranges from common allergies to major seizures. Girlguiding UK has a network of Advisors for Members with Disabilities who are a great source of advice and support for members with additional needs. 1st Response Trainers may also be able to provide you with additional training. As medical conditions are only touched on in the Basic Skills 1st Response course, you will need to establish the training needs you have within your local area.

Girlguiding UK recommends that in the first instance Leaders talk with members and their parents about medical conditions and any additional needs. Leaders should advise parents that they may wish to seek advice within Girlguiding UK but that they will maintain confidentiality of the member at all times.

Snowy Pink Owl
17th January 2011, 01:38 PM
I am renewing mine as I know I don't remember most of what I was taught and I am planning on doing my pack hol licence and want to feel confident I could look after the girls in a first aid situation

hiphopy
17th January 2011, 03:13 PM
In my county we have regular refresher courses on offer, and we are asked to go on these once every 3 years

dinoprincesschar
17th January 2011, 04:55 PM
our county runs renewals with fair frequency as well, but i have done a st johns "first aid at work" course, whcih is more in-depth, so i was advised that this would supercede the 1st response, which would have otherwise needed renewing last yr.. is that correct?

chopperchick
17th January 2011, 05:11 PM
Dinoprincesschar - I don't believe there's an "official line" about other courses superceding; you're right that your St John's course would be more in-depth (its 4-days compared to 1st response being 1) but what it doesn't offer is stuff on consent forms, protocol on administering medication, ratios / one-to-one care etc - the stuff that's specific to us having girls in our care.

There's a section at the bag of the ALQ which offers guidance on what the 1st response course covers, in case you want to use another qualification as part of your ALQ instead of 1st response. The bit that most people haven't covered is the guide-specific stuff. What I've offered to do for one lady who had a first aid at work qualification for her child-minding job, was to meet her for half an hour or so and discuss / teach the guiding-specific stuff.

So, to answer off your question - technically you don't need to refresh your first response (see my earlier post); but watch if you're using a First Aid at Work qualification instead for anything guide-related, as it does go out of date so may need renewed. Either way, it would be good practice to do a 1st response refresher if you can.

jim
17th January 2011, 10:41 PM
guiding guidlines state that people using outside agencies need the guiding side as well as first aid side
believe this is in first responce participents hand book or the first responce trainers handbook not sure without digging my copies and notes out

Squirrel-Nutkin
18th January 2011, 07:31 AM
even the first aid in workplace type courses all need renewing every 3 years, but renewal courses are often "refresher" type courses (eg shorter) rather than having to do the initial starting course

Wren
18th January 2011, 07:34 AM
I think the reason that workplace first aid isn't valid because it doesn't focus on children and the differences to CPR etc within children. This is of course if you do not work with children. If you do, I'm pretty positive you'd be covered and would question why not!

dinoprincesschar
18th January 2011, 08:50 AM
ok, will bear that in mind. i have done first response also, bt haven't refreshed in the last yr, but my first aid at work is up to date. i will look into trying to get onto the next 1st response refresher also, as i do see that this is important also :) thanks for the advice - sorry to go off topic a little OP!

jim
18th January 2011, 02:11 PM
as a first aider at work you would not usualy give out medication but as a guider you may have that privlige if a girl is on medication.
also the duty of care come into it and the legislation that allows you to do things that a normal first aider would not normaly do