PDA

View Full Version : Brownie Sash/Badge Positions

coolandme
20th March 2008, 04:38 PM
Does anyone have an image (not too small) of where badges sit on the Brownie sash, or just the Brownie sash. I'm trying to make some diagrams of where badges go on the sash but seem to be having trouble finding an image of the whole sash =/ I can't take a picture of them as the spare sashes I have are in the cupboard at Brownies and I can't get down to the hall.

Irish Brown Owl
20th March 2008, 04:41 PM
Do you have a becoming a Brownie Book, I think it shows you in there if it's not there, it is in the Brownie Adventure book.

Do you still use sashes? We have done away with them!

coolandme
20th March 2008, 04:43 PM
I took all the Becoming a Brownie books down on Tuesday (I had my car so wanted to take as much stuff down for the next few weeks!) I do have the Adventure book in my cupboard - didn't think of that one!

We kept the sashes. I inherited the unit in September and ex-Gic had wanted to keep the sashes. I now give them the option to use the gilet but they still buy sashes. I do have one who has since used up all the space on her sash and with only another term left in Brownies she obviously doesn't want to buy another so is now sewing badges onto the arms of her Brownie jumper.

Irish Brown Owl
20th March 2008, 04:52 PM
Yes, that's what we do now too - Gilets are especially popular and the badges are sewn onto them or down the arms of the hoodie.

Smartie
20th March 2008, 05:16 PM
coolandme....i have a diagram i made for parents if its any use to you.....only made in paint quickly like...

penguinjen
20th March 2008, 05:20 PM
Here's some of my girls on our sleepover. They chose to wear their badges on their hoodies which makes them very colourful, but as you can tell, it's easy to tell the girls who have been in Brownies for ages from the newbies!

Jen

Irish Brown Owl
20th March 2008, 05:22 PM
Here's some of my girls on our sleepover. They chose to wear their badges on their hoodies which makes them very colourful, but as you can tell, it's easy to tell the girls who have been in Brownies for ages from the newbies!

Jen

Well I think seeing the older Brownies with so many badges is great env=couragement for the newbies! The girls look like they are enjoying themselves!

coolandme
20th March 2008, 05:22 PM
Wow, colourful indeed Jen! the one of the front left looks like she's been a VERY busy Brownie!

I found a cartoon image of a Brownie wearing a sash on my pc (from some GGUK clipart) and so sort of edited to show where the sash badges go. If anyone wants to use it, i've thrown it in the downloads section. Feel free to edit the descriptions to match your unit.

guidermum
20th March 2008, 05:25 PM
Wow! that's a lot of badges!

Irish Brown Owl
20th March 2008, 05:27 PM
How many badges on average would you do a year?

penguinjen
20th March 2008, 05:36 PM
How many badges on average would you do a year?

We probably offer one or two a term through the year. We try to do the ones that are harder to do at home, such as science investigator and leave them with one extra clause to do, like with the science one it was actually going to visit a science park.

We also do the non-Brownie-exclusive ones, so we do a couple of rights badges a year, things like the British Traditions, Adventure Out, Midlands International Challenge get woven in where relevant.

Also, I always give a badge after a sleepover, and I get badges from America and Canada for some of our activities like when we did abseiling. They should go on their camp blankets really but they like them on their hoodies and it's their choice.

All of which, when added to a Brownie who likes to do badges on her own time, like the two you can see in the picture, means a very full hoody. Those two girls only have two terms left in Brownies, that's nearly three years worth of badges on there!

vickey
20th March 2008, 05:37 PM
there is no set badge positions - it is down to the unit how they display theirs.
We have set positions for the gillet - which can be seen on our web site

Irish Brown Owl
20th March 2008, 05:38 PM
We probably offer one or two a term through the year. We try to do the ones that are harder to do at home, such as science investigator and leave them with one extra clause to do, like with the science one it was actually going to visit a science park.

We also do the non-Brownie-exclusive ones, so we do a couple of rights badges a year, things like the British Traditions, Adventure Out, Midlands International Challenge get woven in where relevant.

Also, I always give a badge after a sleepover, and I get badges from America and Canada for some of our activities like when we did abseiling. They should go on their camp blankets really but they like them on their hoodies and it's their choice.

All of which, when added to a Brownie who likes to do badges on her own time, like the two you can see in the picture, means a very full hoody. Those two girls only have two terms left in Brownies, that's nearly three years worth of badges on there!

I always wonnder if we do too many or too little, what does anyone else do?

penguinjen
20th March 2008, 05:47 PM
Can I just add, this is what the girls want, we ask them every term and they set the programme. As a whole, they love the sense of achievement that comes with the badges.

We do lots of community action too, I do try to make it a rounded programme around the five essentials and you, community and world over the course of a term.

Irish Brown Owl
20th March 2008, 05:49 PM
It's great when you can manage to create an alround programme. Well done! Do you plan a whole year or term in advance or do you just go with the flow?

penguinjen
20th March 2008, 05:54 PM
Well this year it was done as a whole year because by the time we had accommodated everything the girls asked for, and everything that needed to be fit in such as thinking day etc, we had about 4 weeks left out of the 35 that we meet!

But we're going back to term by term when we next have a planning meeting, after the summer term half-term.

Jen

Irish Brown Owl
20th March 2008, 06:09 PM
We planned the whole year this year too, allowing a couple of 'free' weeks for overflows or special events. Though we really broke the mould this year and have worked solely on the 'Right Now' Badges - the girls have loved it. Back to norm next year though and the girls have already asked to do a few different badges so will base it on that.

vickey
20th March 2008, 06:20 PM
we plan termly - but here we work in new terms so plan 2 terms each time, each on a different theme (ie each new term being an old half-term)

coolandme
20th March 2008, 06:39 PM
I started trying to plan a few weeks in one go (I had no experience of planning before so my my first term was rather bad!) and we managed a badge and various craft things. I got better after Christmas by planning up until easter. We've fitted in 2 badges, a visit from "Dogs for the Disabled" and one a half Right Now badges (well almost finished the second) I added "free" weeks into the term as I know I over run, and I re-planned these last few weeks as I wasn't happy. I'm now onto planning next term. I might just do one badge (maybe two) and slot some right now badges in with the Olympia badges too.

I tried planning with the "assistant" but she moans if I ask her to organise a game, so I gave up. I'm still waiting on her to book the fire station....

Irish Brown Owl
20th March 2008, 06:42 PM
It's not easy to plan when you have no back up. I am really lucky as my Leadership team is brill. We all gel, we all have our own areas of 'expertise' eg. I love crafts, Jill loves Games, and the rest we work together!

Nellie D
20th March 2008, 07:40 PM
We are finding the 'newish' Adventure and Adventure On badhes are quite time consuming....

penguinjen
20th March 2008, 07:49 PM
Nellie, what are you finding time-consuming about them? We were told they should be a fairly natural progression, ie the girls should be achieving most of the requirements during the meetings. There's a couple of things, like community action, and meeting with another unit, that need some organising, but the rest of it should be quite easy to work through.
Can we help you work out a way to make it less time-consuming?

Nellie D
20th March 2008, 08:04 PM
Hi jen
It wasn't so much of a moan really...we are approaching them as we did the Journey badges.....we've made up some acheivement charts...(i think from an idea on this site)..which the girls enjoy filling out. When we do interest badges..they can be 'done' in less time. However..most of the Brownies we have at the moment are not really badge mad...some I've had in the past have been working on stuff at home all the time. Me, I love doing the badges with the girls...what was the British traditions one that you did?

PS Offchurch Village Hall all booked up for us.

penguinjen
20th March 2008, 08:12 PM
British Traditions was created by Essex West to fund girls going to the scout 100 jamboree. It's been so successful, they've kept it going and it will now fund girls/leaders going on international trips.

I've attached an (out of focus, sorry) pic of the badge. It has activities for Wales, England, N.Ireland and Scotland and the badge is gorgeous!
To order the pack (price 3) or badges (1 each), contact:
Girlguiding Essex West County Office
9am to 1pm Monday to Friday 01375 892663

Glad you're sorted for Offchurch, my DC came with me and was so inspired, she's doing her overnight licence and has booked the hall in June as well!

Nellie D
21st March 2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks Penguinjen...I'll get onto that

catdrew
25th March 2008, 11:51 AM
all but one of our brownie has a sash (she puts them in her Yellow box) we only had two girls with a gillet and they have both left. they seem to prefer the jackets.

we used to plan the sash with six badge near the front top, county and name tape on back just below where it narrows and any other badges underneath on the front and then the back once front is filled. it has sort of gone to pot but we make sure you can see six badge.

ours wear every badge they get on sash even when they are not supposed to. they have earned it why not?? they love getting badges

we normally do at least one a term. sometimes we split the group in half and do 2, they swop over mid term so they earn both.

problem we have at moment is most of badges we can do easily have been done by alot of our girls. they seem to all be in same class at school.

beertrumpetgirl
25th March 2008, 03:05 PM
We do a badge a term... unless there's something special on that a badge fits into nicely, like a firestation trip.

This term is toymaker. The Adventure befuddles me a bit though. Might search now to see if I can get some tips.

beertrumpetgirl
25th March 2008, 03:06 PM
oh - sorry. They have sashes in my pack. I like them.

CaT60
25th March 2008, 08:23 PM
We have sashes for their badges. Something for the girls to keep as a record of their time in Brownies.
The rest of the uniform we encourage them to recycle i.e donate to our unit for girls who can't afford to buy new.

anna
25th March 2008, 09:23 PM
yes we have sashes too

giggle drawers
25th March 2008, 09:27 PM
We have sashes, and have set positions, but are not to strict if they arent quite in the right place.

Off the top of my head, I really cant remember where, and since we are on hol tonight, then I will look next time im there

Broken.Owner
26th March 2008, 12:45 PM
I have a picture i drew on word that i give out to my new parents on the night a girl is enrolled, but i can't seem to find it on my pc, i'll keep looking then post it when i find it.

PAULALC
26th March 2008, 12:56 PM
Most of my girls have gilets, some are putting badges on their t-shirts. We tend to do one badge a term, we have just done road safety and we are doing entertainment next. All the girls are encouraged to do badges at home or through other activities that they do. We take it in turns with badge work and adventure work. Then just to break it up a bit we put in a craft or cooking. We do try to make that work with the adventure badge if possible.

Broken.Owner
26th March 2008, 01:31 PM
Found it. There is two on an A4 page, so just cut along the middle.