• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Are these good ideas for QG?

medimus

Beginner (10+ posts)
So I've started my queen's guide, but I'm undecided on what to do for some of the clauses. (sorry for the length)

For clause 4 of the service in guiding I have no idea. THere were a few recent tast and finish groups etc that were recruiting, but they all require commitments I can't make. The syllabus mentions 'girlguiding issues'. Anyone done one of these and what did/would it entail? How do I find out more.

I'd like to do a walking expedition for the outdoors, but not sure what my purpose should be. I'd be taking my sisters who've never camped/ done any sort of outdoors thing before. Would documenting their experience count as the purpose (see how they learn, how they cope with the challenges, how I teach etc)? My other option was flora of the area, because I'm interested and know nothing about it really.

For the personal skill I'm completely undecided. It has to be something I can do on my own time, in fits and starts if neccessary. The things I've been thinking about are sewing or knitting. Both things I have basic skills in, but could do a wardrobe? Another thought is learning a language. THat would be useful. The other things I'd really like to be better at are drawing and writing. I'm just not sure how to show development over the year on those (apart from nanowrimo).

Community action: I don't know what topic to do. I was thinking about something to do with climate change, not sure how to do a practical about that though. The other thing was possibly to work with the local version of Sustrans about getting people to use walking/cycling more as transport rather than the car. Not sure if these are good ideas.

Any thoughts/ideas/advice?
Thanks so much. I got great advice here last time about starting. So glad I am.

I have plans for the other clauses

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
If you can get on a task and finish group, that's the ideal. Many regions are offering things that would could, like minivate. It's a shame innovate is on an indefinite hiatus really.

I am almost certain that you cannot do your exploration using family members - it's supposed to be a peer group.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I'm not absolutely sure, best ask your mentor. My gut is that "with your peers" means that it ought to be a group of your friends, rather than family. It's tricky because I suppose, technically, they are your peer group in terms of age - if you were taking your parents with you then it would be a definite no. But I still see siblings as different to peers...