• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Are we no longer doing the Brownie Story?

GirlFromMars

Veteran (100+ posts)
I just picked up a copy of the new badge book and handbook and noticed that there is no mention of the Brownie Story. We always made sure the girls had it read to them before making the promise and did the whole "twist me and turn me" bit as part of the promise ceremony. Is the story no longer a thing in Girlguiding?

I guess I could keep an old Becoming a Brownie book if we wanted to continue it, but I want to know what the official stance is?

NosilaC

Regular (50+ posts)
I don't know the 'official line' on the Brownie story - but we've got a number of games that we've adapted (ladders, fishes in the sea, etc) where the girls are split into groups (Tommy, Betty, mum/wiseowl) and we read a shortened version of the story, with the girls running when 'their' name is read. The girls love it (and they're not v good at just sitting and listening to a story), so I'm sure that we'll continue to play these. We also use the 'twist me and turn me' in the Promise ceremony that the girls devised.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
P.S. But I was also saddened to see it was no longer in the book, and I wish the copy online was prettier so we could print out and give to girls!

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
This is one of the things I am most sad to see go. It feels like there's no place for Guiding history outside a traditions badge or UMA.

We need the story to continue our promise ceremonies. The girls love twist me and turn me, and so do the parents who used to be Brownies. To refer 7 year olds to a website for the story is daft and unnecessary.

And I agree with kerstee and girlfrommars, i think the handbook is a waste of money, it contains little more than the Becoming a Brownie book, yet is three times the price. Most pages have words to the effect of "for more information see the record book".

The record book is great, I like the clarity and colourfulness of it, I think the girls will love them too.

I'm still excited about the new programme, but quietly weeping over the loss of the story, the pre promise book and Brownie holiday badge. I guess eventually the pain will numb!

Pipit

Brownie/Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
Although I'm greatly saddened by the lack of the story in the new books, I must admit that when our stock of Becoming a brownie & adventure books ran out earlier this year (Easter-ish) we stopped buying them as we get very few newbies and didn't want to get stuck with old stock.
We then had an unexpected influx of 5 new starters (with a max unit size of 12 and typically only 6-8 girls, 5 is a lot for us!) in May. We did all the Brownie story stuff we normally do but they didn't have a copy to take home - by the time we broke up 4 made their promise and knew the story as well as any girls we've had before.
Much to my surprise, I don't think anything was lost from the absence of the story in a book. They still got excited about games and activities based around it and knew exactly what the "Twist me & Turn me" bit was all about. These girls will receive the new handbook & badge book in place of the books they didn't get when they started/made their promise.

It would, however, be nice if Girlguiding published just the story (in full, not the slightly edited version on the website!) in a book on it's own - not a must have but as a gift type item with some nice big bright illustrations. I'm sure most units would buy one to show/read to their girls and probably some parents too.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
This is one of the things I am most sad to see go. It feels like there's no place for Guiding history outside a traditions badge or UMA.

We need the story to continue our promise ceremonies. The girls love twist me and turn me, and so do the parents who used to be Brownies. To refer 7 year olds to a website for the story is daft and unnecessary.

And I agree with kerstee and girlfrommars, i think the handbook is a waste of money, it contains little more than the Becoming a Brownie book, yet is three times the price. Most pages have words to the effect of "for more information see the record book".

The record book is great, I like the clarity and colourfulness of it, I think the girls will love them too.

I'm still excited about the new programme, but quietly weeping over the loss of the story, the pre promise book and Brownie holiday badge. I guess eventually the pain will numb!
And yet - for the first time, there is a section on Guiding history in the handbook for each section, specially drafted to suit the age group - and it mentions the founder of Guiding. So in some ways, Guiding history has more of a place than it did before . . .

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Although I'm greatly saddened by the lack of the story in the new books, I must admit that when our stock of Becoming a brownie & adventure books ran out earlier this year (Easter-ish) we stopped buying them as we get very few newbies and didn't want to get stuck with old stock.
We then had an unexpected influx of 5 new starters (with a max unit size of 12 and typically only 6-8 girls, 5 is a lot for us!) in May. We did all the Brownie story stuff we normally do but they didn't have a copy to take home - by the time we broke up 4 made their promise and knew the story as well as any girls we've had before.
Much to my surprise, I don't think anything was lost from the absence of the story in a book. They still got excited about games and activities based around it and knew exactly what the "Twist me & Turn me" bit was all about. These girls will receive the new handbook & badge book in place of the books they didn't get when they started/made their promise.

It would, however, be nice if Girlguiding published just the story (in full, not the slightly edited version on the website!) in a book on it's own - not a must have but as a gift type item with some nice big bright illustrations. I'm sure most units would buy one to show/read to their girls and probably some parents too.
The full story is very lengthy indeed, with the preamble about the little girl and the doctor. Not sure why you wouldn't want to just stick to the 'story within a story' part of it?

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
I tell my girls the story at least twice a year, usually through the medium of ladders. We also play ladders with the story that was in my Brownie handbook from the 90s, about how Tommy is sick so Betty promises to buy him his favourite chocolate but doesn't ask what it is, so can't keep her promise.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think there could be a market for several Guiding books. For example at Christmas reprints of vintage annuals are normally popular for children’s/teen magazines. A book with the Brownie story as it has appeared in the handbook/ BBB along with other short stories about Brownies I can imagine being a popular idea.

The only problem is these things can sometimes have a limited/seasonal market and to sell very well I imagine they’d have to be available in ordinary bookshops and not just through trading. I think this is why the annuals were discontinued, and the Brownie storybooks were discontinued. But if it’s theoufh a bookshop it can then bump up the price and put people off buying.

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
Sadly, I suspect this may be the beginning of phasing it out. Hope I'm wrong. We'll have some Becoming a Brownie books left over so will keep them to show the story to new starters.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Sadly, I suspect this may be the beginning of phasing it out. Hope I'm wrong. We'll have some Becoming a Brownie books left over so will keep them to show the story to new starters.
I think you overestimate the level of planning at HQ ...this is more a case of how much can you squeeze into a pint pot...

I've seen various ways that units use the Brownie story in their meetings from you tube video's to acting it out..the story won;t die as long as there are leaders to pass it on to their units

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
will always be a part of 'traditions' and I think its nice. It's what a lot of parents will remember from when they were a brownie, so I don't think it will die out. Lots of units still have a toadstool, even if it doesn't show itself too often, and under said toadstool will often be a 'pool' or magic carpet

Cathy

Veteran (100+ posts)
Every couple of years I show my Rainbows a youtube video of the Brownie story as part of a promise night. Then I explain that's for Brownies because Rainbows are too little to help, get a raft of protests that they are old enough, have a discussion about what Rainbows can do to help at home and set them a challenge for the week to do a "good turn" every day...

It's one of my favourites :)