• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Badge books (New programme)

RHJones19

Beginner (10+ posts)
We have emailed the parents of the current Brownies asking them to purchase the new books, as we don't have the funds to purchase books for the girls. When we asked at our training for the new programme, we asked if there were any kinds of grants or something to help - but all we got told was ttha there were rants for new units - our unit is 60+ years old, I somehow don't thing we qualify as a 'new unit'.

How are others going to encourage girls to bring their books each week?

Roz

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
I am thinking of buying them a sling bag when they make their promise.
I had some a while back that were from a slightly cheaper/more generic source (it was at a point when Rainbows only had the book bag thing).
Don't suppose anyone remembers where, or if they still do them? It was a Midlands guide shop from memory.

RHJones19

Beginner (10+ posts)
We give them their bags as part of their 'welcome pack' (which includes bag, badge/handbook, six badge, promise badge, county badge, unit name tape) when they make their promise.

We get some who will bring their bags every week without fail. Some who will bring it when they 'remember'. and the rest take their bags home never to be seen again (along with every excuse you than think of as to why they've not brought it).

Roz

Pixielation

Brown Owl (x2)
Our Sixers also do inspection, so the books will become part of that, plus the fact that most weeks at least one thing might be signed off, or noted down - i.e., a part of a skills builder, or a time spent on a UMA.

The only thing missing really is a realistic way to input the UMAs, as they have 4 icons to represent 4 hours. But UMAs are 15 min, 20 min, 30 min, 45 min, 1 hour - so they'll add up randomly. It's not as tidy as crossing them off icon by icon 4 times.

We're purchasing all of ours, but as a District we are helping our units out with some funds, and our Division has a fund that has also decided to help out all the units. So I know that we're incredibly fortunate to have this. If we didn't, I'd be buying the books for the new girls only, and giving each six a shared one that they can all work from. Gradually I might buy individual books for girls who demonstrate achievement and commitment.

Spittal Belle

Beginner (10+ posts)
I have resurrected giving out tokens (points) for those who bring their badge books each week as I have a few who would never bring them otherwise. I have decorated cardboard containers with their six emblems and made a slot in the top, I may also give out tokens for uniforms. At the end of each mid term we will count the number of tokens and award a small prize (eg sweet) to the winning six, this means that each half term the sixes will start afresh giving them all a chance to improve. I have also made up sheets to record UMA hours (1 for each girl ) with 6 rows for the themes and 4 columns of boxes for the 4 hours, I have divided each of the 4 boxes as follows 2 with 4 sections for 15 & 45 min, 1 with 3 sections for 20 min and 1 with 2x30min sections. the relevant time sections are then coloured or shaded in as appropriate giving an instant glance view of how many hours/part hours have been completed.

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
The only thing missing really is a realistic way to input the UMAs, as they have 4 icons to represent 4 hours. But UMAs are 15 min, 20 min, 30 min, 45 min, 1 hour - so they'll add up randomly. It's not as tidy as crossing them off icon by icon 4 times.
I'm planning on using stickers - circular coloured ones, and I'm going to start by cutting them so they need 4 full circles (and so a 30 minute UMA gets you half a sticker). But that might evolve to something like, red = 1 hour, green = 30 minutes etc. And then they stick these in their books.

And I've never had a problem with girls not bringing books - but I can't award badges if I can't see it is all ticked off in the book.

Pixielation

Brown Owl (x2)
I'm planning on using stickers - circular coloured ones, and I'm going to start by cutting them so they need 4 full circles (and so a 30 minute UMA gets you half a sticker). But that might evolve to something like, red = 1 hour, green = 30 minutes etc. And then they stick these in their books.
Good idea on the stickers. Consider that one nicked!

RHJones19

Beginner (10+ posts)
I have resurrected giving out tokens (points) for those who bring their badge books each week as I have a few who would never bring them otherwise. I have decorated cardboard containers with their six emblems and made a slot in the top, I may also give out tokens for uniforms. At the end of each mid term we will count the number of tokens and award a small prize (eg sweet) to the winning six, this means that each half term the sixes will start afresh giving them all a chance to improve. I have also made up sheets to record UMA hours (1 for each girl ) with 6 rows for the themes and 4 columns of boxes for the 4 hours, I have divided each of the 4 boxes as follows 2 with 4 sections for 15 & 45 min, 1 with 3 sections for 20 min and 1 with 2x30min sections. the relevant time sections are then coloured or shaded in as appropriate giving an instant glance view of how many hours/part hours have been completed.
Please can you share the UMA sheets

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
Yes, we also have random inspections so one week we might give a six point to everyone who has safe shoes on, or those who brought back a challenge we gave out. Some weeks it is for having their books and bag. The points are added up at the end of term and the winners get a dip in the prize box - they take it VERY seriously so it's extremely motivational.

Pixielation

Brown Owl (x2)
I am thinking of buying them a sling bag when they make their promise.
I had some a while back that were from a slightly cheaper/more generic source (it was at a point when Rainbows only had the book bag thing).
Don't suppose anyone remembers where, or if they still do them? It was a Midlands guide shop from memory.
we give the sling bag, and they did change them to an awful cheap nasty one. I had two just fall apart at the seams. So we planned to have our own unit ones printed - then they switched back to the original ones.

Pixielation

Brown Owl (x2)
Ooh, those are different - they definitely look like old stock. Our trading depot does the ones that are on the HQ website which are also good quality, except for the stupid anti strangle cords.

We told our Guides they need to bring them every week, and we have emailed all the parents so they know this as well. We already had one leave hers behind after our first meeting back though! We are buying some of the Baker Ross kit bags so they can decorate them themselves and each one will be recognisable, they can put their neckers, badges etc in them (they are always losing these too). We considered getting the GGUK Guide ones but then they will all look the same (and were much more expensive).
We might start a points system, we have previously had one for uniform but with all the changes etc I think we have enough to sort out at the moment!

Pipit

Brownie/Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
I think getting them to bring books is going to be much easier than I had at first envisaged....
We gave out badge books at Brownies last week and told them all to ensure they bring them each week. We made a point of doing a SB activity so they all had something for us to sign off (we are initialing all the ticks so we know a leader put it there and not just some of our over enthusiastic Brownies that like playing with pens!).
This week we did another SB activity knowing that there would be at least one that would forget their book and, sure enough, they did. Again we sat them all down before Brownie Bells and signed everyone's books to say they had done the activity. They also asked us to write in the number of minutes for the UMA we did under the appropriate theme - except the one or two that had forgotten their book of course.
Although we promised it would get signed next week, so no major meltdowns, you could see they were disapointed to have less signatures than their friends and, when parents arrived, the Brownies were very quick to remind them they MUST bring their book every week in future - we didn't need to say a word!!