• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Bring a friend night

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm looking at doing this for both my Rainbows and my Brownies. Any suggestions for it?

I have asked my Brownies to come up with some fun activities to do at it, date to be confirmed as we've just had our first meeting back after the holidays.

Certainly looking at doing a 'normal' meeting, letting the friends come for free. For the activities doing something that the girls have choosen for their activities this term as well.

May look at doing this as a regular event in both units, especially while I'm increasing numbers. Hoping they'll bring girls who're old enough to join the units straight away or approaching the age.

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
we had a medieval night with bring afriend
We did archery - toy bows & arrows
jousting - bamboo sticks aiming at balloons and decorating plastic wine glasses with plastic jewels
- everyone had fun, ( although we didn't get any new girls out of it :()

My Brownies choose their theme monday night. They wanted a Slumber party theme , wearing pyjamas and bringing a soft toy!! They designed invites to give to their friends along with an accompanying letter from me.

Although I have no ideas what to do yet!! they wanted to incorporate sweets and cooking!

So any ideas would be gratefulfully recieved. :D

OrangeOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
We did a bring a friend night as an Easter event at the end of last term, specifying that we weren't necessarily looking for new girls so it didn't matter if the frined wasn't interested in becoming a Brownie; they could just come for the party. We did a mix of games and crafts with an easter theme, and handed out easter treats at the end.
We made facecloth bunnies, cardboard easter baskets, ten bunny bowling with chocolate rabbits, and sucking maltesers from one bowl to another. A little time for a quick egg and spoon race and a couple of songs.
We have four new starters this week, three of whom were guests at the Easter party.

I think it's a good idea to do a normal nmeeting, or at least normal activities at your bring a friend night, with something to take home too. Good luck.

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
Certainly with the Brownies, look at saying that I don't mind if they're not old enough to join Brownies, they can come for the night for a 'visit', and look at joining Rainbows the following week.

Will look at having the Brownie one first as that's the larger group. I also know that some of my younger Brownies have said that some of their friends at school want to start, but aren't old enough to join Brownies. Certainly using it as a 'tool' to get girls in. Then the girls who are coming as friends can see what Guiding is like, regardless of which section they join the following week.

Also what I'm thinking about doing is mentioning on my Facebook wall that there's going to be a taster evening on the same night as bring a friend night. To my 'friends' on facebook put it as 'free taster evening, contact me for further details, for those wanting to see what Rainbows/Brownies is all about'. See if that pulls in more girls.

As my Rainbow numbers are still very low, I'm planning to put on my Facebook wall (wording to get right) '1st anytown Rainbows is faced with the potential closure due to lack of numbers. To help prevent this, the unit needs more girls between the age of 5 and 7 to join. If your daughter is older then she can join Brownies (7 to 10) or Guides (10-14). Contact me for further information on mobile number xxxx, private message me on Facebook or see me. Also look at holding a free taster session this term as well. With the support of the community and numbers increasing, this unit, which will be 10 next year, will be able to remain open. It is now up to the community whether the Rainbows remains open or closes.'

Also look at setting up official websites for both units as well to increase publicity.

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
Wording for the bring a friend night letter.

'Dear parents/guardians,

Rainbows/Brownies is holding a bring a friend night on xxxx May 2012. Your daughter(s) are allowed to bring up to 2 friends, as long as the friend is a girl and has not been in either Rainbows or Brownies before.

Thank you for your continued support'.

Also going to put on my Facebook wall - 'anytown Rainbows and anytown Brownies is holding a free taster session. Contact me for more information.'

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
Rephrased as:

'Rainbows is holding a bring a friend night on xxxx May 2012. Your daughter(s)/ward(s) are allowed to bring up to 2 friends who are girls. The friends will be able to attend Rainbows free of charge for this one meeting.'

'Brownies is holding a bring a friend night on xxx May 2012. Your daughter(s)/ward(s) are allowed to bring up to 2 friends who are girls. The friends will be able to attend Brownies free of charge for this one meeting.'

I'm not going to put a lower (or upper) age limit on the girls they bring. After the bring a friend night, will give out the relevant information. For those aged 5/6 will give out the Rainbow information and invite them to start Rainbows the following week. The 7-9 year olds the Brownie information. Those that are 10+ will introduce them to the Guide leader.

Also going to 'advertise' the taster session on my Facebook wall as well.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Why specify those who haven't been members before? Won't that mean you are limiting your possible new attendees?
I specify "not current Brownies", but also an age range (no 4 year old and no Guide age), and must be local.
One Rainbow tried to invite a boy and one a cousin from 50 miles away.

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
I specify "not current Brownies", but also an age range (no 4 year old and no Guide age), and must be local.
One Rainbow tried to invite a boy and one a cousin from 50 miles away.
That's why I've put on the letter that it must be a boy. Good point about the age range. So second bit of both to be put as
'Your daughter(s)/ward(s) are allowed to bring up to 2 friends who are girls, aged between 5 and almost 10. Also must not be a current member of Rainbows, Brownies and/or Guides'

I know with the Brownies, there is a chance that they may bring some of friends who are not old enough to join Brownies, but I can then steer the parents to Rainbows for the following week. I'm using it as a ploy to get girls into the units. I am also looking at allowing the odd girl who is almost 5 for the taster session, so that once they're 5 they can start straight away.

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
Letters gone out to both units for the girls to bring up to 2 friends each (but if more come, I'm not planning to turn them away). As well, I've got another potential two girls coming (one for Rainbows and one for Brownies) coming as well. I'm using it as a 'bring a friend' night as well as a 'taster' night. Hopefully it'll bring in more girls. At the end of the meetings I can divide the girls up for those who need to go on the waiting list, those for Rainbows and those for Brownies. Hopefully it'll get in more girls. I know with the local school (which normally I get most of the girls from) as soon as I have more of girls from it, it should help bring in more girls to the units.

I'm doing something that they've asked to do and luckily both units have chosen the same activity (independently of each other). So going to do make poi with each group and then do some 'dancing' with them. I'll prep some of the stuff at home, just to save time at the next meeting. Also it'll be something that all the girls can take home and show whoever they live with what they done.

At the end of the meeting, each girl will get an 'official' invitation to join the relevant unit, with the appropriate information about the relevant unit(s). Hopefully this will help with a mega boost of numbers.

brownie mum

Beginner (10+ posts)
We are doing this next half term. We will be singing a song, playing the web of friendship and making friendship bracelets so that each girl has something to take away with them. I hadn't thought of the wording for the invite, so may adapt some of the wording on here. The friendship bracelets will be made out of pipe cleaneres and beads, then each girl will give it to a girl they don't know very well/at all. Most of our Brownies go to the same school, and we are hoping to recruit some new ones as we will have about 6 places in September when the older ones go up to Guides.

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
With my Rainbows, I get (potentially) girls from 5/6 different primary schools and for the Brownies from 3 of the same schools. The reason for the Brownies accessing girls from less schools is that there is another local Brownie unit and we have an invisible (agreed) border between our two units. I'm the only Rainbow unit. So if she's aware of Rainbow aged girls, she points them my direction, then when the Rainbows are of Brownie age, they have the option of which Brownie unit they want to go to (usually get directed to the nearest one to where they live), then they all come together again to go to the Guide and Senior Section units.

Also being a small community, most of the girls know each other in the school, plus they know a lot of the other girls from other schools, due to swimming lessons, other after school groups and also the Urdd, when they do the competitions with the Urdd etc..

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
I did a 'bring a friend night' this week, and no friends were brought :( some of them had forgotten (even though the letters were given out last week to bring friends for this week).

So informed my Brownies that I would sort out another date, with a bit more information. On the letter this time will put 'there will be a bring a friend night at anytown Rainbows/Brownies, next week (date). You can choose up to 2 friends of your choosing to come and visit our unit. They must be girls, between the ages of .... and not a current member of Rainbows, Brownies and/or Guides' Hopefully this will be more successful. On the other hand, one parent that I talked to last week when my girls had swimming lessons, she brought her daughter who enjoyed herself.

Also I am going to try and talk to the Headteacher of the primary school that my girls attend and see if he will extend an invitation to the various groups outside the school to have a stand at the school fair later this term. (I can then use it to raise awareness/funds for both units).

My friend has also suggested that together we do a sponsored walk up Snowdon (which is a popular sponsored walk around here) to raise funds for the unit. She has also said that she will do it with me and help raise funds for both units!!!!!

Ruthie

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
The Rainbows have been doing a birthday theme last few weeks and decided they wanted a birthday party. We made invitations and they invited one friend from their school, we had a great night and it's a good recruitment drive too!

We have now got 4 new girls joining Rainbows!

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
The Rainbows have been doing a birthday theme last few weeks and decided they wanted a birthday party. We made invitations and they invited one friend from their school, we had a great night and it's a good recruitment drive too!

We have now got 4 new girls joining Rainbows!
I know it's the best way to get new girls into the unit. Will look at doing invitations with the Rainbows and Brownies next week for another date (to be set, but probably before half term). For the Brownies, they've wanted to do a craft using papier mache - so will look at doing that for the bring a friend night. On the night, so they make it, and it could be used as an incentive for the girls to come back the following week to come and finish them off.......

Good news, I spoke to the head this morning and will be holding a stall at the school fair, so use that as a tool to get new girls into the unit. Will have the times/day of the meeting on the stall so that parents can pick up the information (rather than put it on posters for general viewing.) On the information sheet - have times, day and cost so that hopefully that'll pull in more girls.

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
Going to try again for the bring a friend night, but will calling it a 'invite/bring a friend night' for next week, the letters are going out this week. This time, bolding the day to bring a friend and 'invite/bring a friend night'. Keeping the letters shorter - age group targeted, girls only and also the friend must not be a current member of Rainbows, Brownies and/or Guides. Also planning for the girls to do invitations to go out to the friends, so that the parents of potential new girls get the information as well.

For next week planning to do papier mache with the girls as well, so that there's an incentive for the girls to come back the following week to finish off their activity.

Also spoke to another Mum that I know yesterday on the school playground when we were waiting for our children to come back off a school trip. Mentioned the Rainbows in the conversation. She said that her daughter was interested in joining Rainbows (or was it Brownies - she couldn't remember which one her daughter had mentioned), so I said that I currently had spaces available and that the daughter could start this week. Also she knew of another girl who was/is interested. So they're hopefully they'll come this week and I can get more girls into the units. I know with the Rainbows that once I get more girls from the nearest school, then that should help bring in more girls. Also asked her to pass the word around locally to other Mums that she knows with girls who may want to come. Said certainly until about 2 years ago I had a waiting list, but currently girls can join straight away.

Foxxy

Beginner (10+ posts)
These always work great for us! The girls make invitations for their friends the week before and we try to stay relaxed about age ranges(have gained both a guide and a rainbow from brownie bring a friends!) We also find it best to target the girls instead of parents because parents often arnt that bovered where as the girls always want to share brownies with their best friends:)

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
These always work great for us! The girls make invitations for their friends the week before and we try to stay relaxed about age ranges(have gained both a guide and a rainbow from brownie bring a friends!) We also find it best to target the girls instead of parents because parents often arnt that bovered where as the girls always want to share brownies with their best friends:)
We didn't do any invitations for next week's meeting for the girls that are going to be invited. We talked though, which girls may be invited to the meeting. Some of the girls have already decided which friends they would like to invite.

Certainly I've learnt it's a good way to go via the girls to get them pestering their friends to come to the meetings, who then in turn pester their parents to bring them. Certainly pester power comes into it's own.

Had to laugh, as this week I ended up picking my youngest up from school (normally walks the short distance with one of her sisters from the school to the meeting place). When I went in, (obviously in my Guiders uniform), I got swamped by the members of my daughter's class. So those that needed to, told them that they needed to be sitting down and listening to the teacher. Told my Brownies that yes there was a meeting that night, and yes I would see them later, and yes they had to go listen to the teacher and sit down on the 'mat' area. The teacher seemed quite amused/happy that I was quickly dealing with about 6 of her class coming talking to me, especially as I was referring them back to her. One of the girls asked about Rainbows and that it was £2.00. Said yes, but as I was on daughter collecting duty, that she should let her Mum know to come talk to me and yes it was the building she mentioned. So will try and talk to Mum before the next meeting!!!! Also had another girl say that she couldn't come to Brownies, said I understood why, especially as both her parents are Scouting leaders so don't worry. Then at the end, a new boy to the school came up to me and said that he was going home with a friend and friend's Mum. Referred him to the teacher.

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
Had a bring a friend night, and one girl brought her older sister, who is probably going to join Guides. Talked to one of the other Mums, who said that both of her daughters invited several girls to come, but none of them wanted to come. The girls who're in the unit have said that their friends want to join Guides but don't/can't be bothered to come to Brownies as they just want to go straight to Guides. In the last year I've changed quite a bit of what we've done, got the programme more based around the girls and also reduced connections to one of the local chapels. Also with the activities changed them so that it's more involved.

Will pester some of the mums who've showed interest recently and see if they'll bring their daughters.