• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Bristol Uni

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
My first choice is at the University of Bristol. Is there a SSAGGO? I am able to still be a part of my SS unit and sometimes vist my brownies (and I am lucky enough not to have to move county!) but want the experience!

Chocolate Moose

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
no, there isn't. I believe there is a dormant one, but it hasn't been active for years. After 'Inspire' young guiders weekend earlier this year; a group of us set up a facebook group for an unofficial 'UWE and UOB guide soc' so that we can organise meet ups, and support each other with leadership training and programme ideas etc. We decided it would be too much work to do it officially through either SSAGO or the students union ! But if you were up for setting one up I'm sure you would find people to help you.

Smartie

Mod and wearer of many hats!!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
No there isn't. I went to Bristol Uni, and there wasn't one, but if you are staying close to home I don't think you'll miss it - I lived at home and still had my 'normal' guiding, do I didn't really need extra uni guiding. Instead, you can join a few other societies to meet new people :). My other suggestion would be to join network when you are 18. Avon Scouts have a big presence, and I think you might live in BENT region (i'm not entirely sure) who are a fab group :)

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Cathy

Veteran (100+ posts)
no, there isn't. I believe there is a dormant one, but it hasn't been active for years. After 'Inspire' young guiders weekend earlier this year; a group of us set up a facebook group for an unofficial 'UWE and UOB guide soc' so that we can organise meet ups, and support each other with leadership training and programme ideas etc. We decided it would be too much work to do it officially through either SSAGO or the students union ! But if you were up for setting one up I'm sure you would find people to help you.
Oh... I've been meaning to look into this. I am 3 months too old to be a young guider now but my Rainbows unit are very close to Frenchay (UWE) and are losing our AG this summer... Don't suppose your group has anyone who might want to help with Rainbows??? provided they are over 18 (to meet the minimum adult requirement for Rainbows) we can be flexible!

beenajones

Rainbow, Brownie & Guide Leader..
Oh... I've been meaning to look into this. I am 3 months too old to be a young guider now but my Rainbows unit are very close to Frenchay (UWE) and are losing our AG this summer... Don't suppose your group has anyone who might want to help with Rainbows??? provided they are over 18 (to meet the minimum adult requirement for Rainbows) we can be flexible!
i happen to know from one of the organisers of inspire and evolve etc, that they don't mind if you're just over the age limit.. they don't check id! so if you wanted to go to the next young guiders thing they wouldn't stop you!!

There's still loads of stuff to do in bristol without being part of a ssago, loads of units would love to have any new leaders, there are quite a few SS units that are keen for new members and there are other things like the guide panto, all of whom would love any help that's given to them!!

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
I am going to see if another Brownie unit or possibly a Guide unit would like another leader however I am not planning to join another TSS unit just because I can still attend my current one if I so choose :)

I might look into other options when I get started, I don't know how much time I will have yet! :D

duckbilledbob

Regular (50+ posts)
If there isn't a SSAGO at the uni you go to, you can always start one....

Your SU will probably have a system to help new societies start up, and SSAGO ( http://ssago.org.uk/ ) are lovely and will help you register with them, then you're ready to roll. For example, my old uni only required 3 of us to be a ''society'' (chair, treasurer and secretary) :)
Or you can be a lone SSAGO member I think too, so you can still go to SSAGO rallies and balls :)