• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Brownie Guiders Tie & Hat badges

bun107

Brown Owl (Brownie Leader)
GuiderPlus
hi

I can remember my Brown Owl (in the 80s) wearing a little blue tie with 2 yellow stripes on it, and Tawny had the same with 1 yellow stripe.

I do remember them wearing hats for parade etc...did they have a hat badge or flash for the hat in the way that Guides/Commissioners did?

Also previous to that what did Brownie Guiders wear??

Thanks!

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
Our beloved little ties on a catapult elastic... or that is what I used mine for!

An assistant wore a navy felt diamond under their county badge on the left hand side of their hat, the leader wore a navy felt diamond on top of a larger yellow felt diamond pinned on with their county badge to the left of their hat.

Same for guides but using a mid/royal blue for the leader.

Have to get an older book out for the flashes that were worn on the preceding uniform.

bun107

GuiderPlus
Cazbly

Wonderful! Now lol i need to try to 'replicate' said ties & hat badges for our Brownie Magic Carpet!!! We are 90 this year and are creating a Magic carpet and between kind leaders here, ebay and just searching i've managed to locate all the old style Brownie interest badges, the six emblems from our unit, venture, footpath/road/highway (2 styles), golden hand, ladder etc and service stars.

the only elusive thing now is the Radio Communicator badge! ......

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
From 1968 - 1990, pre-warrant Guiders wore a ribbon tab - originally available on elastic, but by my day you had to pin it on using your Promise badge. It was literally a strip of broad navy woven ribbon stuff, folded in half, with the ends cut in a swallowtail, and pinned over the top button at the collar of the shirt. Guiders wore a ribbon tie which was folded to give a crossover effect, on elastic (it had a hook and ring to fasten at the back). Assistant's ties had one stripe, GiC ties had two stripes, Commissioners and Advisers had no stripes. On their hats Guiders wore felt diamonds, pinned onto the side of the hat by the metal county badge. Assistants had a navy diamond, Guiders had a coloured diamond with a navy one on top (so the coloured edges showed).

The stripe colours were:
Brownie Guider - originally brown, later yellow
Guide Guider - Guide blue
Ranger Guider - Aqua
Rainbow Guider - Green

For Commissioners, Advisers and other Appointment Holders there were various 'hat flashes' - stiffened shapes which pinned onto the hat by the County badge, with different colours for different roles.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Pre-1968, Guiders wore neckties - brown for Brownie Guiders, blue for Guide Guiders, I believe. At that point, Senior Section was split into Air Rangers, Land Rangers, Sea Rangers and Cadets, so the Guiders' uniforms for each of these sections was different. Brownie Guiders, Guide Guiders and Commissioners wore a form of beret which had a stiffened panel at the front, I believe they wore the County badge and felts, as above, on that panel. Commissioners, Advisers and Appointment Holders wore ribbon cockades, the colour indicating the post.

MummyOwl

Brownie Leader
Oooh oooh!
Our Brownie unit is also 90 this year... Happy Birthday to us!
Any chance we can do some sort of link?

(We're designing a badge that we can send you.... Sadly, we're the other end of the country from you (in Surrey) so we can't meet up, but perhaps we can send each other stuff??? Your thoughts?)

Cazbly

Wonderful! Now lol i need to try to 'replicate' said ties & hat badges for our Brownie Magic Carpet!!! We are 90 this year and are creating a Magic carpet and between kind leaders here, ebay and just searching i've managed to locate all the old style Brownie interest badges, the six emblems from our unit, venture, footpath/road/highway (2 styles), golden hand, ladder etc and service stars.

the only elusive thing now is the Radio Communicator badge! ......

Hilary

Guide Guider and District Commissioner
GuiderPlus
Our beloved little ties on a catapult elastic... or that is what I used mine for!

An assistant wore a navy felt diamond under their county badge on the left hand side of their hat, the leader wore a navy felt diamond on top of a larger yellow felt diamond pinned on with their county badge to the left of their hat.

Same for guides but using a mid/royal blue for the leader.

Yes I wore all those. When I switched from being an Assistant Guide Guider with a blue stripe to a Brownie Guider with two yellow stripes I remember saying that I felt like a traffic warden.

bun107

GuiderPlus
Thanks everyone! Examples of these very things are on ebay this week! 6 days left to go but i'm just watching at the moment!