• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Brownie Six Emblems

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Someone was asking about Brownie Six emblems.

This isn't from CHQ, but as there were only 12 emblems it's a much easier list to compile!
I can't answer for those during the Rosebud era though.

Originally Brownies could only use certain emblems depending on which region of the UK they were in.

ALL REGIONS
Elf
Fairy
Gnome
Imp
Pixie
Sprite

SCOTLAND ONLY
Kelpie
Ghillie Dhu

WALES ONLY
Bwabachod
Tylwyth Teg

IRELAND ONLY
Leprechaun
Little People

Fairy, Little People & Tylwyth Teg disappeared during the 1960's, most likely during the time period the Guide Patrol Emblem selection was cut down (roughly 1966).

It's likely that the regional usage was abandoned at the same time so all units had a choice of the 9 remaining emblems.

Of course blanks were available for units to make their own.

Last edited:

charmedone100

rainbow gic and guide al
that is really cool thanks hilzo i am bidding on little people but it is so rare it goes for a foutune so does bwabachod but i got one cheap dont tell froggy

IvyN

Veteran (100+ posts)
Having a look on Ebay,the current ones but old designs are being sold here however, she doesn't say which are which!
Also found this one that has a Bwbachod.

Pigeon_Owl

Veteran (100+ posts)
ALL REGIONS
Elf

Fairy

Gnome

Imp

Pixie

Sprite

SCOTLAND ONLY
Kelpie

Ghillie Dhu

WALES ONLY
Bwabachod

Tylwyth Teg

IRELAND ONLY
Leprechaun

Little People

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
The Welsh, Scottish and Irish ones were always available for anyone in the Country to use. They dropped Fairy because it had developed unfortunate conotations, and Little People because it referred to all the 'fairy-folk', rather than a particular variety like the others did. Tylwyth Teg was dropped at the same time, though I'm not aware of a particular reason.

Each Six had a rhyme which they might sing as part of the unit's opening ceremony, and later, stories were created by Freda Collins to 'explain' the meaning behind the rhyme, and published in a book called 'Pow Wow Stories'. (If anyone wants copies of particular stories I'm happy to PM them, but the stories for the Scottish, Irish and Welsh emblems are written with somewhat corny accent built in - you have been warned!)

Yorkielass

Brownie Guider and soon to be Guide GIC
We still do six songs at the end of our meetings most weeks!

Fenris I'd love them, but we're having a new six when we start in September and I don't know what they'll be called, but when I know I'll pm you if that's ok.

Last edited:

Hilzo42

Staff member
GuiderPlus
The Welsh, Scottish and Irish ones were always available for anyone in the Country to use. They dropped Fairy because it had developed unfortunate conotations, and Little People because it referred to all the 'fairy-folk', rather than a particular variety like the others did. Tylwyth Teg was dropped at the same time, though I'm not aware of a particular reason.
I had that there were regional differences from the Consolidated List book. Though I know it does contain errors.

That to me was backed up by the fact that the Republic of Ireland only uses Elf, Fairy, Gnome, Imp, Leprechaun, Little People, Pixie & Sprite.
While I can understand that emblems like Tywyth Teg wouldn't be used by the Irish anyway, ones like Kelpie probably would (its even used in Canada!). Ireland had it's own independent Association set up in the 1930's.

I think another email to CHQ is in order to clear up the issue! :D

Last edited:

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
The Six rhymes are here:
Sprite (Green)
Here we come, the sprightly Sprites, brave and helpful like the knights.

Elf (Blue)
This is what we do as Elves, think of others not ourselves.

Gnome (White with Black Broom)
Here you see the laughing Gnomes, helping mother in our homes.

Fairy (Yellow)
We're the fairies glad and gay, helping others every day.

Leprechaun (Irish) (Red)
We're the Irish Leprechaun, guiding strangers when forlorn.

Little People (Irish) (Green and Yellow Stripes)
We, though known as 'Little People', aim as high as any steeple.

Imp (Yellow)
We're the ever-helpful Imps, quick and quiet as any shrimps.

Pixie (Green)

Look out! We're the jolly Pixies, helping people when in fixes.

Kelpie (Scottish) (Red and Yellow)
We're the little Scottish Kelpies, smart and quick and ready helpers.

Tylwyth Teg (Welsh) (Red and White)
We're from Wales the Tylwyth Teg, dance and work and never beg.

Ghillie Dhu (Scottish) (Green and Red)

Ghillie Dhu it is our name. We guard the bairns and lead them hame.

Bwbachod (Welsh) (Fawn)

We're the Bwbachod from Wales, filling farmers' milking pails.

Yorkielass

Brownie Guider and soon to be Guide GIC
Here are what ours sing - slightly updated/altered versions of what Katie has posted!

Sprite (Green)
Here we come, the sprightly Sprites, brave and helpful like the knights.
Here we come the sprightly Sprites, always quick to do what's right

Elf (Blue)
This is what we do as Elves, think of others not ourselves.
Same

Gnome (White with Black Broom)
Here you see the laughing Gnomes, helping mother in our homes.
Here we are the laughing Gnomes, helping others in our homes.

Pixie (Green)

Look out! We're the jolly Pixies, helping people when in fixes.
Here we are the jolly Pixies helping others in their sixes

IvyN

Veteran (100+ posts)
Our version of the rhymes are slightly different, but basically the same. We sing them at the start of the meeting, after the "We're Brownie Guides" song, and each six sings it while skipping around the toadstool.
Pixies
Here we come the jolly pixies, helping others in their fixies.

Leprechauns
Here we come the lucky Leprechauns, helping others in life's little storms.

Elf
Here we come the perky Elves, helping others, not ourselves.

Gnome
Here we come the Jolly Gnomes, helping others in their homes.

Jenbug

Veteran (100+ posts)
I just noticed someone here said Bwabachod was a rare one.....that was the six I was in, makes me want to find my sash now! Never knew it was rare.

charmedone100

rainbow gic and guide al
is there a tune to go with the sixes song

yes they are really rare if they were just in wales has i found all other sixes very easily and cheaply, on ebay they go for 4-5 the fairy one goes for much more m wachting on at the moment

Hilzo42

Staff member
GuiderPlus
yes they are really rare if they were just in wales has i found all other sixes very easily and cheaply, on ebay they go for 4-5 the fairy one goes for much more m wachting on at the moment
Bwabachod was available countrywide for years, but I just don't think it was top of the list for six names for most units.
Outside of Wales it was probably bottom if for no other reason that a lot of people didn't know how to pronounce it! which is a shame as I quite like it.

I wouldn't say they're that rare - but they don't tend to turn up individually much. I remember my home town depot always stocking all the emblems, I guess it depends if the seller in question is only selling those a unit had or if they have access to the full range.

Of those that were scrapped: Fairy is quite a common badge to find on eBay. I think a lot of units used it. Little People I've come across on rare occasions. I've never seen Tylwyth Teg. Though Popcorn does re-productions of all 3.

Last edited:

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
Bwabachod was available countrywide for years, but I just don't think it was top of the list for six names for most units.
Outside of Wales it was probably bottom if for no other reason that a lot of people didn't know how to pronounce it!
I was told if I could learn to pronounce it I could be the sixer :D

I took that challenge (And knew a Welsh lady!)