• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

BSL help - D of E Gold/QG

crafteguider

Regular (50+ posts)
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for ideas on what to do next with my Skill section. I have already done an online certificate and I go to my uni's BSL society for some informal teaching and practise. It's not possible for me to get to official BSL 1 classes because of my uni hours (although if anyone knows of a more condensed way of doing this I would be interested in doing it in my holidays.) I also have a book to help me learn some vocab.

Anyone have any more ideas for me ?

Thanks !

Smartie

Mod and wearer of many hats!!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Hi.

A college teaching may not be appropriate for you in uni times, but maybe have a look for a local independent teacher. They can often run condensed courses, or 1-1 sessions (as depending on how much you have already learnt you may well not need a full class).

Try getting some contact with the Deaf community - either visit a local Deaf club, or Deaf pub night. Depending on where you are in the country I may be able to help you.

Learning from a book is difficult, so I would definitely try to learn practically as much as possible. Depending on your confidence and skill level, you could also possibly do a session or two teaching to say Brownies? I've taught a few units, and they've always been fascinated.

I'd also think about maybe getting some 'pen pals' who can sign. Try and have signed conversations via Skype/Facetime/Glide. This sort of informal learning is really beneficial, I promise!

Let me know if I can be of any more help - I have some lists of resources etc I could probably scan and email you, etc. I'm hoping to become a BSL interpreter, and I'm currently studying level 4. Starting to learn BSL was one of the best decisions I ever made...I love the friends and opportunities it has brought me :)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

crafteguider

Regular (50+ posts)
Thanks. Sorry I haven't replied in so long, there was a death in my family. I would love to see some of your resources if that is okay Smartie.