• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Camp points tradition

vickey

Veteran (100+ posts)
We are going on our first Brownie camp and I want to start a new tradition for points.
Previously with Guides we pinned a safety pin to tops and they earned ribbons. The girls liked it but ribbons got lost and it was time consuming preparing all the ribbons. So Guides have a new tradition - leather style neck thongs and they earn wooden beads to create a necklace. Now I know our Guides will love this even more but it is making me more aware we have nothing like it for Brownie camp. I don't want to do the ribbon idea and we have decided to keep the necklaces just for Guides.

Does anyone else have points traditions for camp?

bagpuss

Dursley District Guider & Commissioner
GuiderPlus
We do points but we go indoors so we usually have aposter of something to move their character along or to stick stickers on as the week goes on.

vickey

Veteran (100+ posts)
We do that in meetings and something similar on holidays. We want something thats a bit different, maybe with a bit of 'wow' factor that they can use as a keepsake - basically the necklaces are perfect lol

bagpuss

Dursley District Guider & Commissioner
GuiderPlus
Ooh, I like that idea, we've got animals as our theme this year on PH, I think I might steal the mouse idea. What do you use for the mice?

ElfOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Can't remember, it was a while ago when I did good turn mice. Anything I suppose, but fabric or fimo mice would probably last longer and an additional PH activity!

We give each Six/team a jar, and put a sweet in their jar each time they earn a point. At the end of the weekend they share out the sweets to take home.
We started doing this when we did a "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" theme one year, and have used it ever since.
I know it's not a "keepsake" but sweets are a good incentive ;-)

vickey

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have thought of adapting the Guide idea somehow - do you think this will work;

instead of necklace get a bracelet thong but somehow make it into a keyring on a clip so can fasten onto belt loops etc?
They can still earn beads and at the end get one of those tibetian metal clip on charms to go on the bottom? each year it could be a charmm relating to the theme?
We are doing 'I'm a Guide Get Me Out Of Here' challenge as our theme and found some cute Kangaroo charms that are not too girly. All the items are very cheap on ebay.

I just need to figure out the logistics on how to put on the beads like a Keyring without them falling off!

Does it sound like a good idea?

cerys80

Brownie Leader
Ummm I keep thinking of ways but you'll end up with length of thonging/cotton hanging down until they fill it up. Were you thinking of them wearing them all the time? Thonging, scoobies or friendship bracelet cottons - fold in half, then half hitch to the bottom loop of the swivel clip and then tie a knot after each bead, so that it goes bead, knot, bead, knot ..... if they are pony beads with wide holes, best to do them sideways on, from one side and then another so that they are a bit like the good turn beads. Final knot hook in your clip charm and trim.

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
At Bryony's camp last year we kept a record of what the girls earned bead wise (certain beads for particular activities, and some were rare ones - a special bead for the person who helped without asking, etc). At the end of the camp is when they were awarded their beads and some twine (I think) to make a bracelet. Perhaps something like this would be easier?

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
If you keep a central record (a points chart) then that saves any difficulty over keeping track of what they've earned. You would have the option of introducing an individual record for Brownies, or keeping it as something special you get to do as a Guide. For Brownies, options could include having an area at the bottom of their name badge for stickers to be added (could be straightforward 1 point per sticker, or could be that different colours have different values), having an item to pin on which has tokens - could be beads, or small brass curtain rings, or ribbons, or . . .

ElfOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Instead of trying to be different from Guides, what about the same idea that can then be carried on to Guide camps, maybe different beads/charms for Brownies. DD's guides have dobblers (camp necklaces) but as other units do them too, they get something at all camps, including centenary and district ones. Most things are wooden discs, some beads and she also has some pipcleaner type beads.