• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? cash and cheques on GG accounts package

helenfelen

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hi, I am redoing all my accounts since we opened last september as it was way off! The problem i am facing is that when adding funds paid in for an event - i have used the events tab but it doesn't give the option for cash or chq so is putting it through on my annual summary and my receipts total as cash - but some of it was chqs so my cash is out! do i also need to put it in the receipts page under the camps/outings/events code and the spreadsheet will work it out?
TIA

bess342

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I found it much easier to on work with the receipts/payment pages and not use the events tab. At the end of the year it made it much easier just to deal with a few pages and be able to put things in as cash/cheques, than have to remember to add in all events tabs in associated receipts columns. Using it I found it took 2 of us 2/3weeks minimum giving me major headache to sort out accounts. Without a week on my own usually sorts them.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
don't worry, it goes in as 'cash' and as soon as you transfer cheques or cash into your units' bank account (complete paying in book) you do a BANKING page entry and that transfers the monies from cash to bank

its good to put events on the separate page as you can see the running totals

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
The Receipts page doesn't differentiate and neither does the receipts side of the events page. For both of these you also need to put the amount on Banking.

The Payments page AND the payments side of the Events tab do differentiate so you should be fine using either of those.

I am not bothering with an Events tab where I'm contributing towards an event organised by someone else or where it's a small event we're aiming to come out even (e.g. paying for coach and tickets to Big Gig, taking in money directly from girls). I have done the Events tab for holidays I have run myself, when it is quite helpful especially in the case where we've had girls from another unit join us.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
Hi, I am redoing all my accounts since we opened last september as it was way off! The problem i am facing is that when adding funds paid in for an event - i have used the events tab but it doesn't give the option for cash or chq so is putting it through on my annual summary and my receipts total as cash - but some of it was chqs so my cash is out! do i also need to put it in the receipts page under the camps/outings/events code and the spreadsheet will work it out?
TIA
If you use the events tabs, you put everything for the event in there. You don't have to do anything on the receipts page. Only thing you would need to do is put the paying in details on the banking tab as usual.

You need to think as cash and cheques as the same thing when you receive them. A cheque received is basically like cash, just with a specific amount written on it! It is only important to distinguish between them when you are paying out via cash or cheque, because cash will come from your cash tin/petty cash, and cheques will take the money out of the bank. So one will lower your "cash" total, and the other will lower your "bank" total. When I am writing in the payments I have received, I just put the method of payment (i.e. cash/cheque/BACS) in the Ref. column so I can refer back to it if a parent queries a payment.