• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Information: Changes to the Young Leader Qualification

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Information for those who may not have seen the newsletter. The Young Leader Qualification (YLQ) has been updated and broken down into 6 bitesize modules.

The content is largely the same (don't panic thinking that because it's gone from 2 modules to 6 so it must be massive- it isn't), it's just been restructured, but it now includes using GO! and e-learnings.

You can find out all about the changes here

There's also a FAQ and information for leaders supporting YLs on the link :)

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Yes. It says in the FAQs that if you've started the previous syllabus you can continue with that version and complete it. Alternatively, your YL may want to put what she's done towards the new one, as there is very little different in content, and it's the same badge. From looking earlier, it's mostly restructure with a bit of go and online learning options thrown in for good measure :)

Elzie

Veteran (100+ posts)
Very pleased to see they've started to look at the YL scheme & I'm thinking about how to do this in the district.

However, I note, the CHQ also makes the same mistake of thinking GFIs are a section resource & YLs could look at them for ideas. They are for the girls not the leaders. Maybe they realised they would have to put nothing down if they didn't!

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
How annoying - we literally bought a copy of the 3 SS books on Saturday for our reopening Ranger unit! Will have to either order new books for the girls (how do we know if it has the new version in it?) or print off the PDF for them!

senry

Veteran (100+ posts)
The booklet looks excellent! Nice and straight forward with some handy tables and diagrams.

and Elize I would have to disagree I think they are a section resource, because while the are mainly for the girls they are also useful for leaders to either get ideas form or pull odd activities form for taster evening or other badges. E.g. We have used GFI activities for taster nights before, with leaders supervising the activity and girls running it but use buying the equipment/choosing it. And I used some of the top job activities for the BBB badge as we don’t have the hard copy in unit but I was able to use the PDF to come up with ideas and when we print them in the summer I will remind them they have done x y & z, so not to repeat it. Plus it’s a nice transition for YL who used to be guides as there used to the format when they are searching for ideas.

LittleMe88

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
why didn't they do this BEFORE they brought out the new SS booklets????
Because while we were re-writing the SS booklets they had just begun the review of this qualification. The options were to publish the new books without it - not knowing what changes, if any, may occur or wait 18 months for it to be complete and then there potentially still not be any changes, or allow the changes to be updated in the next print run.

Clearly CHQ opted to get the new SS resources out as soon as they were ready and not sit on them for 18 months, and I'm quite glad they did that. What I'd like to know, is why we bothered reviewing the resources when they are now reviewing the whole programme?

DebW

Beginner (10+ posts)
I am planning to run some training sessions for the Young Leaders in my District this autumn. The new workbook looks good but where are the downloadable sign off pages?