• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Charnwood 2011

scotchmi5t

Veteran (100+ posts)
I received an e-mail this morning saying that I've been assigned to the programme team for Charnwood 2011!!!

I'm so excited!!! Never been to such a large scale event before and I'm so chuffed to be part of it.

Such a long wait though - a year and 6 weeks!

:D

Baggie

Assistant Guide Guider
have fun - I know some of the planning team and although I've never been to one because I can never get time off work in August, our girls always have an amazing time!

scotchmi5t

Veteran (100+ posts)
Does anyone know the best way to get to Charnwood? I notice the closest train station is Loughborough and there is also East Midlands Airport nearby but how would you get there from either - I presume there are buses?

Worthy Guider

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
There is also a new railway station - East Midlands Parkway, as far as I know there are shuttle buses to East Midlands Airport. There are quite a few bus services from there in the direction of Loughborough.

Lette

Guide Guider & Senior Section Member
Scotch - I would have thought they will organise a shuttle for staff arriving. Most camps have a few people with big cars doing station runs!

rainbowpiglet

Beginner (10+ posts)
Hi I live there, pm me for any info I can give you. There is an airlink bus that comes direct from EMA, the camp is normally just outside the town not far. My daughter is hoping to go too(havent allowed her to go before)

Roisin Dubh

Beginner (10+ posts)
I really wanted to go, but my unit leader has decided not to take our unit, as not many of our girls wanted to go, or could afford to go. So she is going with another unit. My 2 daughters, who are also Guides in our unit, really wanted to go, but now can't, as our unit is not going, and there is no room in other unit for us.

Little

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm sure Loughborough Scogui (the universities ssago unit) wouldn't mind ferrying some people to the site from the train stations if they didnt officially put anything on for staff, but I'm sure they will =)

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
The Guide unit that I help out with are planning on going. They might be short of leaders as 3 out of the 5 of us will be at a stage where we are job hunting, so can't say for definite that we are coming until about a month before! Our leader wants us to confirm by December, but that isnt going to happen!

scotchmi5t

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thanks for the info - looking into the cost of travelling, and wondering whether it would be cheaper (and easier!) to fly to East Midlands Airport rather than go by train.

Well, prices aren't that different really. If I fly from Aberdeen to EMA, they don't have flights on the days I want so would have to stay overnight both on the way there and the way back. At today's prices the flights cost £173.

If I go by train, there's 3 changes on the way down and 2 on the way back, going by current timetables, and it will cost £128.

Maybe the train will be more feasible, but it takes 9 hours!! And I'd rather go direct than having to humph my bags on and off all the trains. Something to think about I suppose!

Last edited:

scotchmi5t

Veteran (100+ posts)
Forgot to add - I'm presuming that there will be more info nearer the time, but is there a certain time of day you have to arrive and leave?

Smudge

The Doctor (5000+ posts)
I am planning to go down on the train the day before and stay with my friend in Wolverhampton, and then get my friend to drive me to the camp site (hopefully - will ask her closer to the time!) and then the same on the way home!

Do you know what you are doing at Charnwood yet scotch?

hopelessguider

Veteran (100+ posts)
My unit are going:) 15 guides/rangers and 2 leaders signed up so far:) and I suspect I'll gain some more girls by the December deadline (I can't believe how early the deadline is!!!! WINGs last year we were still adding people onto our booking in April!!!) We're pairing up with a Leicstershire unit as well. looking forward to seeing you again Ang.

Little

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm not sure whether I can/want to go to this anymore!!!!
Inter-net is the week before and probably my last chance to be a "participant" at a camp! Not sure I could cope with 2 weeks of camping.
It also means committing to 10 days off work, at a time which I think will be quite vital. I wont be joining the department I'll be in then till 3 weeks before the camps!

scotchmi5t

Veteran (100+ posts)
Charnwood looks good!
I think Ill sign up to go....if anyone travelling a fair way needs a floor for a night, just let me know!
I might actually take you up on this offer, if that's ok! Was looking into flights/trains etc and it looks like I would probably have to kip somewhere overnight.

Tregi

Veteran (100+ posts)
ive got more leaders than girls at the moment!! but thats fine!!
anyone had any more info, we havn't registered yet but wondered if there was anything else floating round.