• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Information: Church Parade - church services

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Sadly, I doubt such a thing will exist now as the attendance depends so much on the girls individual circumstances and we can't/shouldn't put any credit on a girl that does attend as her friend who didn't attend may have different beliefs. But there's no reason you can't make up a simple record yourself for any events out of the meeting place which allows all the girls to get an equal opportunity to attend things which are not a unit meeting.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
In the old recourses there was a certificate for church attendance. Just wondering if any one has one downloaded which they could send to me or tell me how l can down load the old recourses it helps to encourage the girls to attend church parades

You cannot encourage or bribe girls with certificates, badges, sweets or anything to attend church parade. It is not part of the programme to attend church parade....and decidedly unethical to reward those who do to encourage others. I'd like to think the church would be embarrassed to know a chunk of its congregation were only there because they'd been bribed.

As it's not part of the Guiding programme why is there a need to get girls into church? We have them for an hour or two a week to do 'Guiding' things which is a wide remit but their religious education is not our concern nor should it be. Why should we be encouraging girls to go to church?

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
'Develop my beliefs' …. Is this something the girls should only do away from the meeting place?
I would say no. I would be quite happy to let the girls know about a particular service or event to which we, as a unit, have been invited to. But I would also not expect any girl to attend if she had different beliefs nor would I give any girl preferential treatment because she did attend. The wording is their beliefs, not mine so if they choose to attend, great, if not, fine, but they need to know what opportunities are out there too so no harm in letting them know about invites for say, family service or Harvest festival etc which for us tends to be when we are invited. Likewise, letting the churches in question know that we can pass it on but won't enforce attendance.

'Develop my beliefs' …. Is this something the girls should only do away from the meeting place?
I would say yes, the developing part of it shouldn't be done In the meeting place but the learning about other beliefs would in my mind be fine as long as the information is accurate which quite often it's not, it's not always correct in schools either.
Passing information on is good but not evangelising or telling them only one way is the right one is not on and yes I've heard it in a Guide meeting place. I also heard 'while you might not believe it now you will when you are older' as well as the compulsory going to church on a sleepover.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I would say yes, the developing part of it shouldn't be done In the meeting place but the learning about other beliefs would in my mind be fine as long as the information is accurate which quite often it's not, it's not always correct in schools either.
Passing information on is good but not evangelising or telling them only one way is the right one is not on and yes I've heard it in a Guide meeting place. I also heard 'while you might not believe it now you will when you are older' as well as the compulsory going to church on a sleepover.
Which would, of course, be a direct breach of rules, and thus should be investigated and resolved.

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
You cannot encourage or bribe girls with certificates, badges, sweets or anything to attend church parade. It is not part of the programme to attend church parade....and decidedly unethical to reward those who do to encourage others.
While I agree with the sentiment here, you can give out certificates or badges to attend church parade if you wish. You might give out certificates or fun badges for other events that are not part of the programme, such as a water fun day or a fundraiser, so there's no reason why you couldn't for a church based event, if you so chose. For other events, a badge is seen as a reminder of what was done or achieved, a celebration of commitment or service, or sometimes just as a 'I was there' kind of thing - so consider if you think that their contribution to the church based event would be equal to their contribution to another event.

It's difficult because they'll be some families who can't do weekends, or go to a different church, or have swimming on a Sunday morning, but that's no diffferent to any other weekend trip you do. Are they being penalised? Well, not in my view, as long as you vary the times and types of events and trips you offer. While I personally wouldn't offer church based events frequently, if approached by a local vicar, rabbi or imam to get the Brownies involved in an open community based event or service, I would offer it. I wouldn't incentivise it, just as I don't incentivise camp, but I would encourage girls to get involved in new experiences if they don't have other plans.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
While I agree with the sentiment here, you can give out certificates or badges to attend church parade if you wish. You might give out certificates or fun badges for other events that are not part of the programme, such as a water fun day or a fundraiser, so there's no reason why you couldn't for a church based event, if you so chose. For other events, a badge is seen as a reminder of what was done or achieved, a celebration of commitment or service, or sometimes just as a 'I was there' kind of thing - so consider if you think that their contribution to the church based event would be equal to their contribution to another event.

It's difficult because they'll be some families who can't do weekends, or go to a different church, or have swimming on a Sunday morning, but that's no diffferent to any other weekend trip you do. Are they being penalised? Well, not in my view, as long as you vary the times and types of events and trips you offer. While I personally wouldn't offer church based events frequently, if approached by a local vicar, rabbi or imam to get the Brownies involved in an open community based event or service, I would offer it. I wouldn't incentivise it, just as I don't incentivise camp, but I would encourage girls to get involved in new experiences if they don't have other plans.
But badges or certificates would incentivise it.

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
But badges or certificates would incentivise it.
Only in the same way that camp or a water fun day is incentivised, and there's no uproar about that. So why is it unacceptable to give a commemorative or 'well done' badge to someone who has served her community by laying a cenotaph wreath, or doing a reading, but it's fine to give a child a badge for attending a Unicorn fun day?

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Only in the same way that camp or a water fun day is incentivised, and there's no uproar about that. So why is it unacceptable to give a commemorative or 'well done' badge to someone who has served her community by laying a cenotaph wreath, or doing a reading, but it's fine to give a child a badge for attending a Unicorn fun day?
Wouldn't normally give a badge just for attending a fun day either. Either a badge is earned for challenges tackled or skills learned after effort - or those which are are devalued and become merely an 'I turned up' badge with neither educational value nor sense of achievement.

Wouldn't normally give a badge just for attending a fun day either. Either a badge is earned for challenges tackled or skills learned after effort - or those which are are devalued and become merely an 'I turned up' badge with neither educational value nor sense of achievement.

I have to agree, badges which are given out for everything especially as a reward for turning up etc eventually just mean nothing. So often I'm seeing queries for badges to give to girls who do something they would have done anyway. I am really expecting a 'I went to the toilet' badge to turn up soon. :(