• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Idea! Community Action Section

minniemouse

Veteran (100+ posts)
I would agree with everyone who has said that doing a project which has nothing to do with Guiding is great because a) it's a change and b) it's an opportunity to support some really good causes and to keep the 'help other people' part of our promise which is arguably one of the most important parts! I did an environmental - based challenge, volunteering at recycling centres and re-use projects as well as setting up a recycling initiative at my school. I would just say embrace the challenge, it is one of the trickier ones, which should maybe take you outside your normal comfort zone to face and help deal with serious issues affecting society. I'm QG advisor for my county and some girls working on the Award at the moment have got ideas from the Changing the World resource, as a starting point. There were so many charities involved in that, it's such a great way to go through and think about the kinds of areas you could think about researching and working with. Good luck - it's a challenging section, but probably the most rewarding. :)

lisaanne

Guide GiC & District Commissioner
I want to do something to do with education for mine, as I will be starting my Secondary English PGCE in September 2011 so i'm hoping i can use it as a bonus point at interviews!
Possibly something to do with encouraging kids to read but i'm not really sure, anyone got any ideas?

Rebecca_FluffyOwl

Beginner (10+ posts)
Sounds great .... what about contacting local schools to see if they have a reading scheme already set up. i know my old secondary school used to do a reading scheme with years 7 and 8.
Where you hoping to do your pgce?? I'm hoping to get on to a primary pgce in 2011 as well :D

lisaanne

Guide GiC & District Commissioner
Hopefully Birmingham. I'm applying to birmingham, wolverhampton, newman and warwick. I was going to start in 2010 but Im having a year out first instead.

Pompey_Ranger

Veteran (100+ posts)
I want to do something to do with education for mine, as I will be starting my Secondary English PGCE in September 2011 so i'm hoping i can use it as a bonus point at interviews!
Possibly something to do with encouraging kids to read but i'm not really sure, anyone got any ideas?
Something based around Worl Book Day - 4th March - so plenty of time to get planning etc.

There maybe some good ideas from that whole project that you can adapt. :D