• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Compare and contrast...

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Publicity for other children's activities in our area (and in general).
All the details about where and when the activity meets, how much it costs, and who to contact (or that you can just turn up, or indeed that you can't just turn up), are publicised on their FB pages, their web pages, and various flyers around town.
They don't, it is fair, usually tell you whether their classes are full but sometimes they do.
Guiding: we aren't allowed to advertise day and time, people are supposed to put their details on an anonymous online form and they are then sent off into the ether with no real idea of who will contact them back.
So parents (like me, with a 4 year old and a 6 year old and working 4 days a week) have no idea if there will be a group that is at a time that my poor daughter can make, given she also has swimming and gymnastics and spends most of the week days at after school club till 6 anyway.
As with schools, it is fairly obvious when a uniformed organisation is letting out for the day (and some of us meet in halls handily labelled GUIDE HALL or SCOUT HALL).
It would really help parents to know this.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
The advice not to day and time was rescinded some time ago. Yes, we need to be sensible about how we promote ourselves but no reason to make it completely anonymous. Likewise I believe the choices on 'Join us' give a details of days and time ( if the units have entered these on GO)

Epona

Veteran (100+ posts)
Yes, it was kind of absurd that we were supposed to conceal day/location when my units have been meeting in the same place on the same weekday for nearly 100 years. Thankfully other members of the village kindly filled in the info on local community pages when I couldn't.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
As a parent, I need to know all of these things, though.
We are a weekend unit and girls have activity clashes, but they are happy to do two acitivies if they don't clash.
All of the local dancing/gymnastics clubs advertise times as well, and most of the local Scout groups do too.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
(And for an after school meeting, if it's 6pm a working parent can manage that but 3.15 is not possible. "City Centre" isn't specific enough - which side, is there parking, is it near school so we can change and dash or a 20 minute walk, and the day is obviously crucial).

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
There is no longer any reason you can't advertise all you need to say but just be sensible what you do advertise and make use of Join Us

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
What we really need is a website with all the local (not just our District) units and real time spaces and waiting list size.
But Join Us gives that information.

It would be helpful if you could do a 'Area check' before putting details into Join Us where people could look at that info, but otherwise, Join Us already provides that functionality

partygirl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Crikey, not on your life! Can you imagine the organisation that would be required to keep that up to date? I already keep a Facebook page and 2 websites up to date and that's enough work. I can't spare any more time to keep checking who has got spaces, as it changes all the time.

Plus, if the information on who had spaces was taken from Go, what happens when a leader is holding a space for the girl who is starting next week or next month? Parents will end up getting cross because the website says there's a space but the leader says there isn't.

All in all, too much hassle for me I'm afraid.

What we really need is a website with all the local (not just our District) units and real time spaces and waiting list size.
But Join Us gives that information.
It doesn't really. I can see units that have spaces, but when I contact their leaders I find that while they have 1 space right now, they have 8 girls starting next term, and another 27 on the waiting list.

And I know the feeling, because I have had to say to totally new enquirers who are already 8 that they won't even get into my unit before they are guide age. I spend a lot of time trying to transfer my new enquiries anywhere else, and I also spend a lot of time trying to convince my Brownies to go on the waiting lists of units other than the one in the same location, as they'll be 11 before they get in there.

As a DC, I am going to try and get my division to have a more freely available dialogue about where the units who need girls are vs the ones who have waiting lists that are just ridiculous so we can ensure girls don't just sit on a waiting list for 12 months when a unit 1 mile away is desperate for girls.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
It doesn't really. I can see units that have spaces, but when I contact their leaders I find that while they have 1 space right now, they have 8 girls starting next term, and another 27 on the waiting list.

And I know the feeling, because I have had to say to totally new enquirers who are already 8 that they won't even get into my unit before they are guide age. I spend a lot of time trying to transfer my new enquiries anywhere else, and I also spend a lot of time trying to convince my Brownies to go on the waiting lists of units other than the one in the same location, as they'll be 11 before they get in there.

As a DC, I am going to try and get my division to have a more freely available dialogue about where the units who need girls are vs the ones who have waiting lists that are just ridiculous so we can ensure girls don't just sit on a waiting list for 12 months when a unit 1 mile away is desperate for girls.
Absolutely, but a local dialogue will always be more effective, because you can add in detail that won't appear on a paper list (e.g. 'Senga is going to be off for several weeks at the start of next term, so we've decided not to start the recruits until half-term for once'. Or 'it looks like we have a few spaces now, but the quads are due to move up from Brownies along with a couple of their pals, so that'll be all the spaces taken', etc.)

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
I was meaning for parents, anyway - they can't see on Join Us if a unit is full, can they?

I was meaning for parents, anyway - they can't see on Join Us if a unit is full, can they?
I don't think so - and I imagine that's for the exact reason we've just discussed! But when a parent contacts me, I don't transfer them to another unit until I've spoken to the leader there to see if they've got space, as I don't want the parent to go around the houses getting the same response of "we're too full" each time.

A comment area aimed at other leaders on the spaces available section would be helpful (only if they update it!)

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
The cynic in me would say they will soon learn if either they are getting no enquiries (because Join Us says they are full) or they are getting loads they can't cope with (because it doesn't).