• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Constructive Criticism Only Please

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
When I did mine (didn't have as much detail as yours) I also did a sheet showing how to log on to the members area and access their own GO account in screen prints. This was to point them in the direction of the extra opportunities like Big Gig and Task and Finish groups.

Mine was as District SS advisor not as YL Guider so I also had info on additional roles such as UH, treasurer/secretary for dist, adviser, commissioner etc (as well as GOLD and the bits FPG has already mentioned) for those nearer the 26 end of the age range. This was mainly because I've been an adviser since 18 and was a jobshare commissioner for 2 years at 20. Really just to let them know there are roles other than running units.
Big Gig I have heard of, but Task and Finish??

This is why I posted. If there are any other opportunities girls can get involved in, please post!!

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Also, I would probably get rid of Innovate at the moment because I think they're changing it :)
They are? I might leave it in for now as it is on their website, but change it whenever we get told about it. Am hoping they don't get rid of it completely, but just change it like your post suggests!

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
agree screen print outs how to get onto gguk website and use would definitely be useful to young leaders (know thats what my YL had most problems with)

also list of useful websites - I gave young leader list of some obvious ones to me, but she had never heard of them like the boguk site and this forum...

but equally including both of these things would make the leaflet more like a mini-booklet!

from reading comments, sounds like some like imagery/very few words and some like more detail and its going to be hard to cater for both????

So am wondering if there is any way of actually combining both? summary type things at the start of the leaflet with a link saying something like "read point xxx" for fuller details... what do others think of this type of idea? so allows YL to read the extra if they want/not refer to it if they don't want and to keep it simple and easier to read? going to be hard to please everyone, so perhaps you are going to have to go with the majority view points or what you feel comfortable with?

Last edited:

cerys80

Brownie Leader
Wren what a fab document :)

Not only for YLs but for leaders like me - no guiding background myself when I took on the unit and it was hard enough at first just picking up on what Brownies were meant to be doing. Not every area has a YL advisor or group and even if they do it doesn't mean that its going to be a good 'fit' for every YL iyswim, so the more info that leaders have the better. Can't wait for the finished version, thank you.

woodyowl

Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC,
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Love the idea and can see this would be very useful for guiders who have YL as much as YL themself.
I have a YL who would is new in the role and never been in guiding before I know this would be useful for her

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
Big Gig I have heard of, but Task and Finish??

This is why I posted. If there are any other opportunities girls can get involved in, please post!!
Task and Finish groups are groups based at CHQ to deevelop various parts of the programme. There's one going at hte moment which Katie W is on (I applied but didn't get accepted) to review GFIs, and I seem to remember at the same time there was one advertisd for the Rainbow Roundabouts. And also one to look at another longer term scheme like Changing the World.

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
And T&F groups looking at how to make it easier to bring 'adventure' into the programme, activity qualifications (are guiding's fit for purpose?), involving students and a few others I think (already forgotten from last night when I looked) are currently being advertised.

LittleMe88

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
You can find the info on current T&F groups that are looking for volunteers on the members area -> What's happening -> Volunteering Opportunities.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
thing with these "task" or groups looking at specific things is that they are set up/disbanded as need arises and will be constantly changing - would it be a better idea to just that something like "ad hoc groups set up that need volunteers to help with ideas/planning?" or something to that effect?

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
thing with these "task" or groups looking at specific things is that they are set up/disbanded as need arises and will be constantly changing - would it be a better idea to just that something like "ad hoc groups set up that need volunteers to help with ideas/planning?" or something to that effect?
Oh yeah, I wasn't suggesting to provide a list, more to give a flavour of the range of things task & finish groups cover. I would however use the name "task & finish groups" (that is what they are called, x/y/z "task & finish group") and provide a brief explanation, because the vast majority of the volunteering opps take the form of t&f groups so it would be useful to know what those are and that most are open from 14+ now if you're suited.

LittleMe88

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Oh yeah, I wasn't suggesting to provide a list, more to give a flavour of the range of things task & finish groups cover. I would however use the name "task & finish groups" (that is what they are called, x/y/z "task & finish group") and provide a brief explanation, because the vast majority of the volunteering opps take the form of t&f groups so it would be useful to know what those are and that most are open from 14+ now if you're suited.
My point was mostly to say "this is where you need to look to see what is on offer at the moment". I guess its much the same as camps or international opportunities - making sure the girls know what they are, maybe give examples and where/how they can find out more info. The was mainly the reason I provided the screen shots to help them get logged onto the website as there is info that often changes on there and I'm never going to be able to keep up with emailing opportunities home to them.

Found this on the GGUK manual the other day. It's not something I'd heard about before...don't know whether you want to include or refer to it in your booklet??

Explorer Belt

Details of the Explorer Belt can be obtained from the Scout Association.

Senior Section members aged 16 or over may take part in Explorer Belt expeditions provided that:
•at least two team members are young women. When teams have only two members, two teams of young women should meet and camp together at night wherever possible
•at least two Senior Section Leaders are invited to be part of the expedition leadership. If it is not possible for any Girlguiding UK Leader to take part, an Explorer or Network Scout Leader may be authorised to be responsible for Girlguiding UK members
•the County International Adviser is notified.

Senior Section members who gain the Explorer Belt may wear it with uniform.

Still thinking about taking on the role of YL Guider when my role as DC has finished and I have been working on a document that I could send out to new and current YLs in my division should I agree to take it on.

I would appreciate constructive criticism please. Some of the documents have been obtained and tweaked from this forum, Smartie and Cerys80 are contributors to mention a couple, so I hope you don't mind me playing around with what you have uploaded. The main part of the info has been taken from the SS website, but is designed to give a bit more info via email/hard copy to enable the girls to know what they can do.

Thank you!
I'm thinking of offering to take on the role in our Division too, so will be interested in following you with this :) Is it something you'd be willing to share when you've finished it?

rugbynutter

Rainbow Guider & Ranger
GuiderPlus
Found this on the GGUK manual the other day. It's not something I'd heard about before...don't know whether you want to include or refer to it in your booklet??

Explorer Belt

Details of the Explorer Belt can be obtained from the Scout Association.

Senior Section members aged 16 or over may take part in Explorer Belt expeditions provided that:
•at least two team members are young women. When teams have only two members, two teams of young women should meet and camp together at night wherever possible
•at least two Senior Section Leaders are invited to be part of the expedition leadership. If it is not possible for any Girlguiding UK Leader to take part, an Explorer or Network Scout Leader may be authorised to be responsible for Girlguiding UK members
•the County International Adviser is notified.

Senior Section members who gain the Explorer Belt may wear it with uniform.
That's an excellent one to include. I only heard that we could do it last year via some Scout Network who said they'd had Rangers on their trip. From what they told me, it sounded like an excellent opportunity, wish I'd done it! :)

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
That's an excellent one to include. I only heard that we could do it last year via some Scout Network who said they'd had Rangers on their trip. From what they told me, it sounded like an excellent opportunity, wish I'd done it! :)
I didn't know it could be done by GGUK members who weren't *also* Scout members? I thought it was just that, if you're eligible to do it, you can do it under the GGUK banner too - kind of like D of E where your eligibility to take part isn't because you're a member of GGUK, just that some choose to access it via GGUK?

Just had a quick search and the scout website says it's open to 16+ explorer scouts/scout network. Am I misunderstanding?

rugbynutter

Rainbow Guider & Ranger
GuiderPlus
I didn't know it could be done by GGUK members who weren't *also* Scout members? I thought it was just that, if you're eligible to do it, you can do it under the GGUK banner too - kind of like D of E where your eligibility to take part isn't because you're a member of GGUK, just that some choose to access it via GGUK?

Just had a quick search and the scout website says it's open to 16+ explorer scouts/scout network. Am I misunderstanding?
I'm sure it can be done by GGUK only members too. I'm not sure why/how that came about in the first place...maybe from when there used to be a lot more joint venture-ranger activities? I'll try & find some confirmation either way...(probably by emailing GGUK & UK Scouting, see what the official answer is!)

rugbynutter

Rainbow Guider & Ranger
GuiderPlus
Explorer Belt and Girlguiding UK
Members of the Senior Section of Girlguiding UK can be invited to join a large Explorer Belt expedition. A mixed Scouting and Guiding expedition can provide participants with a greater understanding of each other’s organisation, perhaps leading to more joint activity at a local level before and after the expedition itself. The Core Team should be aware of differing practices that should be accommodated. These can be reviewed in The Guiding Manual (4th Edition) on page 200. Early co-operation between Scout and Guide counterparts is essential if considering an expedition with Guide involvement.
Explorer Belt Factsheet 3/6 – Organising a group expedition. p5.
http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/facts/pdfs/fs452032.pdf

Sweetlikespice

Veteran (100+ posts)
This is really good .... i was never told about the other things avalible and tbh i didnt know who my YL adviser was until the other day , ive always looked and found out info myself ..... i like the way you talk in it :) makes you seem like an old friend (in a positive way ) , lol i like the look of innovate and becoming an informer .... (always too far away though ) you learn something new every day i suppose ..... youve covard everything :) ..... , i think your YL / SS will love it (i do ) :) xx

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I like it on the whole, sometimes it needs to have the wordy background to explain the content.
My comments would be could you combine the games do/don'ts to include simple activities too ( we're always being reminded YL's are not just for games). Maybe suggest asking to join the planning process?

I like the suggestion of including the wider Guiding set up.
Maybe a simple glossary of terms eg GO, District Commissioner, the Manual, etc
Also maybe links to County and Region websites, we have task and finish at a regional level too so they may find opportunities there.