• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Constructive Criticism Only Please

Fearless Guider

Senior Section Guider
Found this on the GGUK manual the other day. It's not something I'd heard about before...don't know whether you want to include or refer to it in your booklet??

Explorer Belt

Details of the Explorer Belt can be obtained from the Scout Association.

Senior Section members aged 16 or over may take part in Explorer Belt expeditions provided that:
•at least two team members are young women. When teams have only two members, two teams of young women should meet and camp together at night wherever possible
•at least two Senior Section Leaders are invited to be part of the expedition leadership. If it is not possible for any Girlguiding UK Leader to take part, an Explorer or Network Scout Leader may be authorised to be responsible for Girlguiding UK members
•the County International Adviser is notified.

Senior Section members who gain the Explorer Belt may wear it with uniform.
I did mine in 2008 in Tunisia in an all guider team it was fantastic and one of the stand out things I've ever done in guiding!

How about adding a 'Job Description'?

Being a YL should be more than just running games. There are enough threads on here along the lines of 'my YL doesn't do anything', 'my YL just sits and chats all evening' etc etc. Maybe something that would let them know what we as Guiders expect from our YL's.

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Loving the input ladies, and yes, definitely available to share once in a more usable format!!

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
One other thing that may be helpful (if you haven't included enough, I know the general feeling is less is more) maybe a short paragraph on how Guiding can help you. eg on CV's, teambuilding , leadership etc. Sometimes I wonder if we under sell the value of what YL's do.

bryony

Guide and Ranger Guider
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I've some how only just spotted this thread... I love the resource! I am trying hard to work more closely with the young leaders in district (would love a YL guider... may work on that time but in the mean time it will be me and Lisa in and outside Rangers) and I was just thinking the other day how great it would be to have a welcome pack of some sort (like the guides one I use from here...). I can't think of anything to add that's not already been covered in the posts above... I would love to see a final version :) x

casoline

Guide and SS Guider
GuiderPlus
Great document and I would also love to be able to use it when it is finished. We struggle with getting the YL's proactive and through the ALQ and alot of it is because they are not sure what they should be doing and also the leaders are equally unsure of their role. I might have to tweak it abit for BGIFC here in Dubai just because some of the things are obviously not available to the girls here but I think they still need to know about all the opportunities so that when some of them end up at Uni in the Uk they can follow up on it there.

LFC_dragonfly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Mmmm....really meant to have a look at my own document similar to this, and compare and edit mine etc. and share. Didn't happen basically.

Aiming to do it this weekend!

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Mmmm....really meant to have a look at my own document similar to this, and compare and edit mine etc. and share. Didn't happen basically.

Aiming to do it this weekend!
And I've been meaning to have another look at mine after these great suggestions. Again hasn't happened!

Lette

Guide Guider & Senior Section Member
I was going to say as I haven't posted on this thread yet - I love your resource!
It gave TJ and I a really good starting point for what we produced. (Well TJ did and I faffed about with)

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Well, the application for being YL Adviser has been sent to County by my Division so we have to wait and see. I will be revisiting this thread and the resource over the next few months if successful!!

If you have any further ideas, please let me know what they are!