• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Don't do as I do, do as I say?

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
That's true, but to enable girls to achieve a theme award, I want to be able to offer them enough UMA hours for that theme within a reasonable time frame, which means I have to plan in the hours rather than just hope that they add up eventually. My current planning has a theme award being possible within a 3 term span.
That's true, but to enable girls to achieve a theme award, I want to be able to offer them enough UMA hours for that theme within a reasonable time frame, which means I have to plan in the hours rather than just hope that they add up eventually. My current planning has a theme award being possible within a 3 term span.
Three terms being a year, in which time there should be more than enough hours of UMAs out...

MummySquirrel

Veteran (100+ posts)
We did the hammering fruit UMA last term. I refused to waste a collection of apples by smashing nails into them, so used cork instead. And as we needed some adult supervision with the hammers, we got one group learning how to hammer nails safely, and the other groups doing other DIY linked activities, including creating images with tap tap art. So we filled our meeting with this by expanding it beyond the original scope. But none of that would count, time-wise, for the UMA.
You adapted to suit and without doubt covered the original aims. The girls learned some valuable Life Skills and had fun. I'm sure over time lots of us will have to make adaptations to activities. I'm not overly keen on 'Ready, Steady....Recycle' for Rainbows where each group of Rainbows has a bag of 'clean rubbish' with suggestions of polystyrene, crisp bags and drinks cans among the items. If we all feed back to CHQ with our findings good or bad that's the only way they will know how we feel.

Last edited:

MummySquirrel

Veteran (100+ posts)
Looking at your table I would imagine at least another 2 perhaps 3 will finish up with enough hours in the next set of cards given that there will be 2 cards per theme in each set, I know that won't give you the full choice of themes to offer but it is better than no choice.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Re copying - per Girlguiding website :
Unit meeting activity cards and skills builder cards can be photocopied to give to volunteers or girls in your unit a copy to help run an activity. However pages from section handbooks, badge books and record book should not be photocopied, as we want every girl to be able to see the full range of activities and badges available to her and have access to the safety and section-specific information.
Using our programme images, icons and resources

Jenefer

Regular (50+ posts)
What about those girls who do not have the badgebook but want to do an interest badge. Are we not able to photocopy the relevant page and give it to her to take home and complete the badge?

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
However pages from section handbooks, badge books and record book should not be photocopied,
No, the intention is for each girl to have her own book, where that isn't possible then maybe the girl can borrow a unit copy.

Jackson19

Beginner (10+ posts)
What about those girls who do not have the badgebook but want to do an interest badge. Are we not able to photocopy the relevant page and give it to her to take home and complete the badge?
Girls should all have their own badge book.
We have a year to move to the new programme .
Consider:
  1. Claiming Gift Aid
  2. Fund raising - Cake Stall, sponsored whatever, smartie tubes.
  3. Whatever you raise,can often be doubled. If parents or volunteers work for a company who do this. We doubled money we raised for a trip as a parent worked for Anglia Railways and they matched our donation.
  4. Grant from local town council.
24 Badge books are only = £168
Which is not too much to raise .

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
So on the basis that the profits from trading are fed back into Girlguiding where is the benefit of this ? Rewind to the old programme, leaders having to source the activities, find instructions and produce their own resources...who paid for all that ?
Previously, we have had more choice on how we allocate our resources: unit funds and leaders' time. Like many here, our leaders have put in an inordinate amount of time finding programme ideas and producing resources, but this has cost the unit very little money, and it has given us an individual programme which is tailored to our needs and takes into account what we have and what we can provide.

I love the new themes, and the structure of the programme. I really like what I have seen of the new skills builders. I think the idea of Theme Awards reflecting engagement, participation and effort in activities is great.

I would like a little more choice for the UMAs:
  • the choice of downloading materials from the website (ideally in a print-friendly, less colour-saturated version) or to buy a ready-made, more substantial, laminated pack
  • the choice of using those provided, or using our own ideas, fitting in with the themes
  • the choice of whether we do additional preparatory activities or follow-on ones, with all of this being credited
  • the choice of how much time we spend on an activity.
I believe that this would give all units the chance to offer an even better programme which is more responsive to the girls' needs, the leaders' capacity, the unit resources and what is available and needed locally. It would also allow Rainbows especially the flexibility to fit it in.

Then change the 1 hr recommendation on the longest skills builder activities in stages 1&2 to 1 hr/1 meeting, to reflect Rainbows' shorter meetings, with downloadable notes to explain how they can be shortened if required, and we're done! :)

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have just been on one of the Facebook groups and whilst I agree that some people are unnecessarily negative, when it is pointed out that they are wrong, the language used is quite strong and in my opinion, a bit patronising and sounds like a "telling off". For example, saying 'you are breaching guidelines' or 'you have made a mistake doing it that way' is correct, but maybe could be sugar coated a little to 'Here's a link to the guidelines, which say x. I've tried it that way and it seemed to work fine, so maybe give it a chance doing it as suggested?'. We're all still learning about the new programme after all, and no one is an expert yet.

Now, I fully appreciate that is it frustrating to have to correct so many people and I am grateful to those who continue to monitor those groups and threads, but leaders who are negative about the programme may have been given mixed messages from local trainings or other sources, so giving it to them straight from GG may help iron out any confusion while also not making them as leaders feel like failures, or that their volunteering is not valued. And as volunteers, isn't that what we all want?

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I think we forget that we are only 6 weeks or so into the new programme and even the first to get started with it have only a few hours insight. Even trainers are just getting to grips with the ins and outs of it and are relying on their previous Guiding knowledge to answer queries that haven't been considered or are simply hypothetical.
We just need to give it time and accept some blurry edges to begin with. I was talking to someone the other week who has a greater knowledge of the programme than I and has been involved in the development. Even she was going to start off a couple of interest badges in the unit to get the girls to understand how they work and what they need to do. This won't be process for evermore but she understood that the initial stage will take some adjustment as it is new for all. Goodness knows what she would say if someone rebuked her on social media about her methods.

To a point the programme will evolve I think but we need to give it a go in it's current form for a couple of years or so before we can honestly say this or that doesn't work we need more or less time on this. UMA's will continue to be produced but they will only be as good as the ideas submitted and the testing process is ongoing.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
We are meant to do a mixture of UMAs each term in order to have a balanced programme, so it won't matter whether all topics have enough minutes yet - they will have enough in time for when needed.

Epona

Veteran (100+ posts)
I would be more worried if there weren't criticisms and speculative discussion on the new programme. Girlguiding is something many leaders feel passionate about, and even more detached Guiders want to make the best use of their time to give their girls the best possible experience. It's natural to want to voice concerns, test opinion and suggest improvements; that's not 'negativity'. I am reminded of Wiesel's quote; "the opposite of love is not hate but indifference."

Pixielation

Brown Owl (x2)
I would be more worried if there weren't criticisms and speculative discussion on the new programme. Girlguiding is something many leaders feel passionate about, and even more detached Guiders want to make the best use of their time to give their girls the best possible experience. It's natural to want to voice concerns, test opinion and suggest improvements; that's not 'negativity'. I am reminded of Wiesel's quote; "the opposite of love is not hate but indifference."
That's quite true. People raise issues for discussion because they DO want to make it work.

After the training last week, most of my district have decided to launch straight into it in some form, because that way they can see what works for them, and how it works best. And if it doesn't work well, they can adapt and try something different the next term.

I can see a lot of feedback coming from us as a district, because we're supporting each other and communicating between the sections. Our next district meeting is going to focus on the new programme and how it's turning out for each unit.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
I haven't been on a training yet so I'm reserving judgement but I have several questions that I'll be asking.
One of them I actually consider much more serious than the rest which is, there is one Skill Builder I cannot in all conscience lead as it's based on incorrect harmful information. I don't know what I'm supposed to do instead.

MummySquirrel

Veteran (100+ posts)
I haven't been on a training yet so I'm reserving judgement but I have several questions that I'll be asking.
One of them I actually consider much more serious than the rest which is, there is one Skill Builder I cannot in all conscience lead as it's based on incorrect harmful information. I don't know what I'm supposed to do instead.
Have you fed back to CHQ about your concerns, is there a way it can be adapted to ensure it it is safe and correct information given.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
The books have spaces for the girls to record their progress towards theme awards and Gold awards - and are well worth the money... But your group don't have to fund them for the girls

Jenefer

Regular (50+ posts)
The books have spaces for the girls to record their progress towards theme awards and Gold awards - and are well worth the money... But your group don't have to fund them for the girls
We will be providing BadgeBooks for our girls apart from the oldest ones who are due to leave at Christmas or Easter.

growlywench

Veteran (100+ posts)
Which one have you got the problem with? Is the information actually wrong, in which case HQ need making aware, or just doesn't tally with your personal beliefs? There's two SB for every theme, just do the other one, or get someone else to run the one you don't want to. Hardly difficult to come up with a solution.