• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

ebay finds (NOT badges)

The seller has posted a nice wee history of her time as a Brownie.
And check out the "vintage" items she's including (an elastoplast, lol).

[EBAY=guiding]320977952806[/EBAY]

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Wow! That's amazing - so many badges! However she's wrong with the red Birthday badge, I have one as did pretty much all my friends! Also Shock! Horror! They were attending Brownies & Guides together!! ;)
Also I'm sure I've seen this item before, I'm sure it's a relist.

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
Oh no............ I am a failure........... I was terrible brown owl because I gave out lots of those uncommon red badges and must have made them common.

And those trophies - you could buy them by the shed load, I still have one or two floating around. Where have the rest of her journey books gone?

Perhaps there were only guiders at units of bog standard reputation that gave them all to their kids.

Off to weep as I got it all so so wrong!

shackademus

Veteran (100+ posts)
i didnt get a red birthday badge as i was 7 in july so made my promise the following october, i went to guides in the september after i was 10 so although had 3 years as a browni did not get third birthday badge as this would have been given to celebrate three yrs after promise was made, so i think the red is slightly less common as lots of people would have moved on before the third anniversary os their promise

growlywench

Veteran (100+ posts)
And didn't the red badge actually signify the 3rd year of Brownies, and the blue was the one you got to go on your Guide uniform to show you'd been a Brownie?? And £100? Really!!! We didn't get the red badge, or the Highway, come to that, not because it wasn't done, but because BO was too stingy to cough for them, as we used to finish Highway just as we went to Guides :)

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
Well Shackademus would certainly have got her red from me.
Just as you would have got your Highway from me.

I must just be too generous!

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Yes growly you're right, the red one was the 3rd birthday badge. I did actually get mine though and my Highway. I just never sewed them on my Brownie Uniform. I got the red one, Highway and Trefoil one on the same night - and then went to Guides!

Loopy

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have all 3 birthdays and the blue one, but only seem to have the Footpath - I remember doing journey work and having the little books, but obviously I wasn't much of an achiever!

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus

vickey

Veteran (100+ posts)
They have some similar in Matalan - I resisted the temptation but that green one is VERY nice..........must resist!!!!!

ro_jay

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
this wasnt a find on ebay but my nan went to her local villiage auction the other day and there was a bag of guiding themed with three items in it. One was a trefoil guild scarf i think, celebrating 50 years, another was a book about guides cant remeber the name, and my nan mainly bough the three items as it had a brownie sash in, i feel it awfully sad that parents dont keep there items. she paid the grand total of 50p for all of it. I am going to donate the sash to a unit in my county for those who cant afford to get their uniform

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
this wasnt a find on ebay but my nan went to her local villiage auction the other day and there was a bag of guiding themed with three items in it. One was a trefoil guild scarf i think, celebrating 50 years, another was a book about guides cant remeber the name, and my nan mainly bough the three items as it had a brownie sash in, i feel it awfully sad that parents dont keep there items. she paid the grand total of 50p for all of it. I am going to donate the sash to a unit in my county for those who cant afford to get their uniform
Sometimes, you can't keep everything, and once someone has been out of Guiding for a while, then things aren't always valued. Different people have different priorities.