• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

General Library Chat

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the new Library section of the site.

We've created this section so that we can display a selection of guiding reference material for all to read and comment on.

[IMPORTANT: Permissions to post threads in this section is Disabled. Please use this Genera; thread for non book specific discussion and requested. For every book we will add a new thread]

The books you will see appearing here will mainly be scanned historic books such as patrol log books for the past which we have found in our hall.

We will not be able to publish copyright material such as the guiding magazine.

The format for these books will be in a Adobe Flash viewable book. if you do cannot see the files then you need to install the latest plug-in free from http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

If anyone has any material they would like to add please PM me with the details.

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
Book Interface

Above you can see the Library book interface.​

Turning the Page: To turn the pages either click once in the corners or left click hold on the page corners and drag the page over. You can also use the buttons on the top right.

Zooming: You can use the 'Zoom In' button at the bottom right to magnify the page. You can then pan around the pages by holding down the left mouse button. (Note: you must zoom out again before you can turn the pages)

Go to a Page: To quickly move to a page rather than clicking through each one type the page number into the form input at the top left and click Go. The text to the right of this shows which page you are on. We will add a 'total page number' soon.

Printing: You can use the print buttons on the bottom left to print the left or right page. (currently not working sorry)​

Pip

Beginner (10+ posts)
This looks great. I've got my grandmothers handbook C. 1920-30's. also our guide unit had books and certificates. On the BBC history website they is a page for the peoples photographs, can't remember name but if you go to it and type Girl Guides into the search you will see photos of our Guide unit about 1928 and pictures of my Grandmother and her units.

I am looking for a book called On My Honour by Tammy Proctor it is an academic book on the history of the Guides and Scout but critically assessing it from a (mostly) feminist viewpoint. If anyone has a copy would it be possible for me to borrow or buy it from you? Many Thanks

RachaelVenters

GiC, Brownies and Assistant to DC
Late 1980s Brownie Handbook

Hi,

I'd love a copy of the brownie book I used (I was a brownie between 1988 and 1991). Does anyone know the exact title/author/ISBN so I can find a copy on ebay/amazon etc?

Would be great as I've a few badges but can't remember what I did to earn them (like footpath, road and highway!).

Can anyone help me please?

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Hi,

I'd love a copy of the brownie book I used (I was a brownie between 1988 and 1991). Does anyone know the exact title/author/ISBN so I can find a copy on ebay/amazon etc?

Would be great as I've a few badges but can't remember what I did to earn them (like footpath, road and highway!).

Can anyone help me please?
I have a handbook here, first published in 1987.

It's got the green cover with Emily on the front and the old brown dress (on the back cover has the old Guide blouse & skirt.)

It's The Brownie Guide Handbook, the author is Lynda Neilands.
There is an ISBN of 0 85260 099 2

I think that eBay is probably your best bet tbh.

RachaelVenters

GiC, Brownies and Assistant to DC
I have a handbook here, first published in 1987.

It's got the green cover with Emily on the front and the old brown dress (on the back cover has the old Guide blouse & skirt.)

I think that eBay is probably your best bet tbh.
Thank you so much, Katie. I've found a copy for a bargain £2.83!!! Should get it in a couple of days.

jim

GuiderPlus
I have one with same number and author but is blue with 3 brownies on with the yellow tops on front cover and 2 yellow and one brown top on back cover
price was £1.35new edition 1990 re print 1991 1992 girlguides association 1987

mariag

brownie brown owl
i was really happy yesterday- a friend of mine passed on some old brownie annuals. one of them is from 1958!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and another from 1981, that has a knitting pattern in to make a brownie doll. something of which i have been looking for , for a while :)

mariag

brownie brown owl
i started on it, but not had chance to finish.

sazzy - do you mean the jane greenhowe patterns? there is a brownie and a guide.

zrra268

Veteran (100+ posts)
Does anyone have a copy of 'The Big Test' that they could scan or I could borrow to do a project for my masters? It's ideal for my project but I cant find it anywhere unless I'm willing to pay LOTS for it, and as a student I dont have lots to spare no matter how good a resource it would be. They have a copy at CHQ but cant borrow it so would have to keep visiting and thats costly both financially and timewise...