• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Geocaching Meet, 24th March

shazzab

SS Leader and busy mum to 2 busy dd's
GuiderPlus
aw no its my birthday weekend otherwise would have loved to come :-(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
I can collect about 3-4 people from Stoke station, and depending on where we start, it's not far from Stone or Barlaston stations (though I don't think many trains stop at Barlaston as it's a local station - most just go through)

GuidingKB

Brownie Guider
Well, we can always have another meet up on another date...a series lots of people rave about is the Alphabet Soup series starting from Darley Dale. (about 9 miles, and you can probably guess how many caches..)

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
We're thinking it may take about 6-8 hours to complete, so if anyone coming from further afield needs a bit of floor space let me know. Or if you want a proper bed locally I can recommend a very good B&B about 2 miles from me, run by a local Guider

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
If anyone is considering it but wondering about the terrain, I think it is fairly flat. It runs up and down either side of a dual carriageway that I drove up every day for 3 months, and it was mainly level, or gentle gradients, and quite a bit of it is on a canal towpath. I might do a recce of the area to see which way round is best

GuidingKB

Brownie Guider
Be prepared for a full day! Yesterday I was out caching and we did about 11 miles and 24 caches (one was a DNF), and were out for 9 hours.
Yes, we did go to the pub for lunch, which probably added on an hour instead of taking a picnic and we were a group of 10, so signing the log took some time.

I know people may not like this suggestion, but how about meeting around 9.30?
(Jenn - I'm thinking about your floor for the Friday night, but would need to be back in Notts for the Sunday morning for training)

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
You are more than welcome to my floor for the night! You know where I live ;) If you can make it to the same station as last time for about 5-30 - 5-45 I can get you on my way home from work, and if it's later, I can wander down to meet you.

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
Okay, for anyone thinking of joining us, we'll be meeting just before 10am, and setting off from the A34 just north of Stone. There is parking by this cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3BHC9, on street parking and also two pubs. I also think we should leave a car at the other end of the route, in case we're seriously running behind, or if anyone is struggling. The southern carpark for Trentham Gardens is not too far from the upper end of the route, so we can probably leave a car there, or in Tittensor village, and then collect whoever's car it it.

To get to the start point from the north: leave the M6 at J15, turn onto the A500 then leave at the first junction, and go right, following the signs for Stone and Stafford. You will go over three roundabouts, the second is for the southern entrance for Trentham Gardens, and the third there is a pub in the middle. Stay in the left hand lane for the A34, but then you will be turning off almost immediately, and that is the start point. From the south: leave the M6 at J14, follow the signs to the A34 north, for Stone and Stoke. Drive up past Stone, then after you have gone over a double roundabout you will need to turn right after another few hundred metres for the start point. I'm not 100% sure if you can make a right turn, so you may have to carry onto the roundabout and go right round. From the east: from hte A50, follow the signs for the M6 south, but once onto the A500, stay in hte same lane, and this will take you straight back off onto the A34.

I'm meeting KB 9-35 at Longport station which is just off the A500 if you come off at J16 if anyone wants to meet us there instead