• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Getting the leaders to the units!

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
So we have a couple of units that REALLY need leaders and of course they are the ones that are furthest from the university. Ex-DC basically had decided there was no point in recruiting students to lead at these units because "they just come once and leave". They are quite hard to get to on public transport I have to say. Has anyone got any tips?

Because our town has a large geographic feature In the middle families won't go to a unit the other side either so I know there will likely be no girls going over weekly with parents. We can just about get over for District meetings and I've persuaded a few girls to go to District events. But not really regularly.

So has anyone got any tips for getting car-less leaders to where they are really needed? Anything that works?

flev

Regular (50+ posts)
Is there any chance the other leaders could arrange to collect/drop off their students? I regularly take one of mine home after the meeting, although she makes her own way to us. Otherwise, if the units are that desperate could they contribute towards taxi fares?

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
More chance of taking them home I think though that might help. Before the meeting most of the other leaders will be setting up and most units meet after school/early evening so the traffic's quite bad too.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
We're near Heriot Watt but there isn't a great bus service after 9pm. So we fixed up a rota of parents to provid lifts to the students (virtually all of our Guides are collected by car). Parents accepted that it was easier to take an extra 10 minutes than have to help at meetings!

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Oh that's a good one fenris. I can't see a parent doing it every week but once a term could work well.

Otter

Guide and SS Leader
My division paid my petrol costs when I was at uni - they were in a rural area, I was in the city, it was that or I would have had to give up as the student debts kicked in.

Could you offer to go halves on taxis, or buy them a bus pass?

Lizzieloubee

Veteran (100+ posts)
My GiC used to have a rota of people to drop me back from Guides. The bus ran frequently enough to get me down the Guides, but I had to wait 40 minutes or walk through fields in the dark for 3 miles afterwards. I walked home in the summer once it was light.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
It would be fine if the leaders had cars but few here do (as they aren't allowed to keep them on campus). And they will all have their own bus pass, it's not paying for the bus that's the problem it's the fact that the units are hard to get to and the buses take forever!

It's only a few miles but one of the other Guiders was saying that, driving, she once went to a meeting at this particular meeting place and took longer to get there and back than the (one hour) meeting lasted.

chopperchick

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
No easy answer, as everyone will have their own idea of how far (or difficult) is too far / difficult - so you might land up just having to work something out for each person, and accept that some will make it work and others won't.

Out of sheer nosiness however, I am intrigued as to what this geographic feature is in the middle of the town ;)

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
I used to make my own way to Brownies/Guides (They ran after each other) then get a lift home as GiC passed my house!

Then Rainbows were very kind and picked me up/dropped me off each week for meetings (It was amazingly kind as the leaders all lived in the village where we met, and I lived in the town 25 mins away, yet they'd go out of their way to get me too and from...) I always said I didn't mind getting the bus or train up, however getting home was more of an issue as there was no sort of public transport after 6! It made me feel appreciated, however I know that it isn't possible for all leaders to do this.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
The problem with our town is not particularly the geographic feature but the TRAFFIC that it causes... hence the comment from the Guider about taking longer to get to/from meetings than you spend in them.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
It sounds to me like the best option is the rota for driving them home. However, if parents get stuck in traffic with their kids in the car, many won't be willing to drive them home.

Will students definitely have their own bus pass? We didn't get one where I went to university. When I first started at uni, the GiC of my Brownie unit used to pick me up from halls and drop me off afterwards. I then took over another unit where I had to get the bus to and from meetings with all the Brownie stuff and I claimed my bus tickets out of unit funds. The district were very keen to have me as they didn't tend to get leaders from the university as the district was the other side of the campus from where most of the halls were (even though a lot of the private housing used by students was within/near the district).

I am trying to entice students from Surrey Uni to travel the 20 minutes by train to my district as we are desperate for help! Have offered to pay their transport costs.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Traffic at the end of a Guide meeting isn't usually too bad, and that's the section we need the most. Traffic at the end of a Rainbow meeting, or the start of a Brownie meeting, is horrendous.

Now if I have a vague plan, all I need are some leaders!

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Will students definitely have their own bus pass? We didn't get one where I went to university. When I first started at uni, the GiC of my Brownie unit used to pick me up from halls and drop me off afterwards. I then took over another unit where I had to get the bus to and from meetings with all the Brownie stuff and I claimed my bus tickets out of unit funds.
Nearly all students in the area Fox is trying to recruit from will have bus passes, if they don't drive (which most don't due to the parking restrictions at the uni) and live off campus it's foolish not to have one, saves a fortune if you're using it most days. I had one when I lived on campus in 2nd and 3rd year just for convenience and it worked out that if I used it a couple of times a week or more, which I was, the difference between paying up front and finding change to pay each time was negligible, that's becoming increasingly common, all my flat had bus passes last year because they didn't have to factor in bus money into their weekly budgets :)

One of the leaders we had on the closer side of the geographical feature claimed back her bus tickets to Brownies this year, but said that she wouldn't do that next year once she was off campus and it made financial sense to just have a bus pass.

So really if you can't get willing parents to offer lifts, all you need to do is convince students with bus passes that they *really want* to sit on a bus not going anywhere for an hour!! Don't envy you trying to get leaders out to some of the places I'm thinking you're looking to send leaders to, Fox! Buses at rush hour and the whole place just.doesn't.move. Stupid road systems!!

qwerky

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I don't know your geography, but as a student I cycled to Guides. Is that an option round you? Could you help the students find second hand bycicles (my last one cost £20).

frazzledguider

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Sorry to be controversial, but maybe the student population isn't the best place to be looking for leaders for these units! It sounds to me like you are not going to be able to get students to travel to these units so you need to concentrate on getting some local people to run these units. How are they currently being run? I think you need to be looking at parents, friends, neighbours etc and doing your advertising locally.

I don't have a car and help run a guide unit 7 miles from my home. I go on the bus, or sometimes by taxi, and then one of the other leaders very kindly brings me home in their car ( so a 14 mile round trip)!

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Sorry to be controversial, but maybe the student population isn't the best place to be looking for leaders for these units! It sounds to me like you are not going to be able to get students to travel to these units so you need to concentrate on getting some local people to run these units. How are they currently being run? I think you need to be looking at parents, friends, neighbours etc and doing your advertising locally.

I don't have a car and help run a guide unit 7 miles from my home. I go on the bus, or sometimes by taxi, and then one of the other leaders very kindly brings me home in their car ( so a 14 mile round trip)!
Funnily enough we have thought of that and are doing it AS WELL thank you very much.

We do have a lot of keen student volunteers (and we also have keen non-student volunteers who don't have cars and live in the wrong part of town). If the units that need leaders are one side of town and the volunteers looking for units are the other... we need a solution!