• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Guide Badges on SS Tab?

ylbadger

Guide Young Leader
hi

recently i have seen senior section member wearing their guide challenge badges on their SS tab? can you do this?

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Like everything, if it doesn't say you can't then you can. I'd probably encourage only the last one awarded or the BP challenge. They can also continue to wear a World Badge if they have one, and their Guide Promise badge until they've made their promise as a member of TSS.
There's also the Guide leaving badge they can wear too.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I don't know why you would...there are plenty of TSS awards to soon fill up several tabs if you're so inclined!

Exceptions would be Commonwealth, which is cross sectional, and BP which is a big achievement and you want to show off that you've done it. But even BP I'd take off once I'd done the YLQ or another TSS challenge, just to show progression and to physically make room :)

ylbadger

Guide Young Leader
yep thats what i have done! when i completed my YLQ it replaced my BP badge i have seen people wearing all 4 of the challenge badges!?

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Well, they're not technically wrong, but I think we can settle on that practice being a little odd! They can't have any room for any other badges on there, maybe a promise badge squeezed on?!

ElfOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
DD never even considered putting her challenge badges on her SS tab as they were guide badges. The exception is her BP.

Kangaroot

Veteran (100+ posts)
(I might have my old guide, brownie and old old brownie promise badge on my tab.............*runs away before the badge police swoop*)

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
(I might have my old guide, brownie and old old brownie promise badge on my tab.............*runs away before the badge police swoop*)
You might find it better to display them somewhere nice and safe and stick one you do not mind losing on your badge tab. Just a thought as the memories are not replaceable and sadly all too many badge tabs seem to develop legs and walk, or have pins that snap off etc.

Have a friend grieving the loss of her 1960's QG - have found one on ebay, but it is not really just the same if you get what I mean.

Last edited:

Lynneth

Veteran (100+ posts)
When I was a Ranger (last of the aquamarine blouse and air hostess era) I'm sure the official badge placement pics showed that you were allowed to wear your highest Guide trefoil (could be BP, could be one of the lesser coloured ones).

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
And I don't see anything wrong in this at all. You can be proud of what you've earned and there isn't anything in the manual stating you can't do this, or what the OP has said she's seen someone doing.

Perhaps the person the OP has seen hasn't earned anything in TSS yet and doesn't want to have a near-empty badge tab? Perhaps she is proud of the badges she has earned?

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Yes you could, as I wore my Blue Trefoil (didn't quite gain my BP) and continued to wear it when the YL/Ranger uniform changed to wearing badge tabs.

I now wear a YL bar on my Adult tab too.

akl

Veteran (100+ posts)
I remember at a Cathedral service many years ago being 'told off' by a 'mature' leader for having more than four badges on my tab (I think I had five but that was too many!) only to then chuckle discreetly behind her back as the Region Chief Commissioner walked past to join the colour party with SIX badges on hers!!

What's good enough for her was good enough for me!! ;)

Orly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Four challenge badges seems a lot - I would stick with the highest or the B-P Challenge. When I first started as a leader, I wore my Ranger badges (like the green bar for the SSP) as I hadn't earned any as a leader. Once I'd started earning some as an adult - the Ranger badges came off.

senry

Veteran (100+ posts)
Four challenge badges seems a lot - I would stick with the highest or the B-P Challenge
I think thats a good compresmise untill they get some more. They always bluke it out with the world & county badges - thats what I did when I came back to guiding and had nothing else to put on it, it also helped way it down!

it soon filled up!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I remember at a Cathedral service many years ago being 'told off' by a 'mature' leader for having more than four badges on my tab (I think I had five but that was too many!) only to then chuckle discreetly behind her back as the Region Chief Commissioner walked past to join the colour party with SIX badges on hers!!

What's good enough for her was good enough for me!! ;)
When tabs first came in there was a rule that you could have a maximum of 4 badges on tab. Later, that rule was quietly taken out of the rulebook. Now it's up to the individual to choose how many they wish to have, so it's a combination of personal taste and managing damage to the clothing it's pinned to how many you have!

My DD wears her BP and Guide camp permit on her tab. She did have her moving on badge but this has been replaced with her YLQ badge now.