• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Guide stripy top and hoodies wanted please

victoria

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
If anyone is in the unlikely situation of selling off any of the stripy shirts insize 30+ (and hoodies in 32+) our girls opted before they saw the new uniform to stay with the old as we offer a secondhand shop so non of the girls are in new due to cost that parents cant afford. Can got to £5/6 for new tshirts £3-4 for very good secondhand. Please no holes or ladders unless your giving them us (except if easily reparable and in an inconspicous place. Our girls dont wear pins on uniform and have home made sash so badges wont cover it. max £6 for hoodies, i cant go to more as thats the maximum it goes to the guides at. Poorer or marked uniform goes for less or free to those who cant afford we would be greatful.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
According to the guidelines, in two years' time they will have to change anyway, but there is financial support available for units who would find this a problem. Would it not be better to at least follow up the funding options and see what is on offer to help you, rather than make your unit the 'odd ones out'?

TawnyJen

Veteran (100+ posts)
According to the guidelines, in two years' time they will have to change anyway, but there is financial support available for units who would find this a problem. Would it not be better to at least follow up the funding options and see what is on offer to help you, rather than make your unit the 'odd ones out'?
Given the response from many girls and leaders I'm not sure they are going to be the odd ones out, at least for the next 2 years!

victoria

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
They are already odd as they chose sashs and neckers but they were also told by the mayor at rememberance day a few years ago (we didnt do last year due to my health) that they were the smartest and well behaved unit in the town. We already have some spares expecially small and larger hoodies with a gap in the middle but its stripy tops as we moved from the blue polos that shrunk up. The girls were asked before the new one was seen and its shows maturity to say no we want to be the same as a unit and its too much to ask our parents as a hoody would be a weekend away and a tshirt a sleepover (yes we do camps and holidays to a very tight budget but tight doesnt mean hungry or boaring).

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
So in Sept 2016, are your entire unit going to move to the new uniform at once? Because they won't be allowed to wear the old stuff after then.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
whenever there is change there is always an initial reaction, but I'm pretty sure that once a few girls start getting the new tshirt, that all the girls will be pestering parents to get a tshirt too - so the changeover might be quicker than everyone is initially thinking

Smiley

Guide & SS Guider, Div Guide Advisor
What about those who are already guides and brought uniform to last.

Most of my girls are 10 and have got loads of growing room in their uniforms. I wont be insisting parents buy new uniform if the girls don't need it. We're not all made of money.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
What about those who are already guides and brought uniform to last.

Most of my girls are 10 and have got loads of growing room in their uniforms. I wont be insisting parents buy new uniform if the girls don't need it. We're not all made of money.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
They've got 2 years - even if they uniforms were bought pretty big, several of the girls would be outgrowing them by 2 years' time anyway, so the parents can judge then whether a new top is needed. By that time, what is new now will be ordinary.

shackademus

Veteran (100+ posts)
I can see why they want everyone to be in the new uniform in 2 years but when the current brownie uniform came in it took 2 years for any brownie in our packs to even get the new style.

victoria

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
When you have parents struggling to pay the £2 a week subs and we have uniform with a gap in the middle sizes which we are trying to fill so the girls can be in uniform (which in 2 years time their is likely to be some secondhand at a more affordable price) then we will be in the position to move over. I know alot of units in more affluent areas children can use the pester power as parents can afford a complete new uniform. When the girls start they pay once for uniform and if they dont loose it or trash it (which non of our girls have done as they take pride in their uniform and if we a doing a messy activity or one that may damage their uniform they wear old clothes or old uniform, which is how we make it last. A few girls leaving and not giving the uniform back in the 11/12 age means we have a gap so i was asking if anyone had the same shirts the rest have to keep them in uniform if not it will be blue tops to look like the rest as the option for new style isnt their. We wont get given funds for 17 new uniforms and if we raised that we have better uses, such as making it so we can take the girls away on camp or pack holiday which they love but we are very restricted due to adaptations (which i am working on fundraising for), also subsidizing events when they occur so girls can do the bigger events that generally cost alot and we have to fundraise for. So when for the majority we have enough uniform its a few sizes 32,34,36 mainly we are short. If not then we will move all the girls into bigger uniform (and parents dont mind as it was second hand good condition anyway. When they changed over last time it was 2/3 years for any girls to change its not if we like it or not.

Cordelia

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think you should do what is right for your Unit. I think it's great you are using your initiative to support the girls and getting them into a uniform so as s Unit thrall look the same. As you say, in 2 years time there will be 'bee's uniform available second hand which will be more affordable. Not everyone can buy new uniform just because someone decided to change the design.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
When you have parents struggling to pay the £2 a week subs and we have uniform with a gap in the middle sizes which we are trying to fill so the girls can be in uniform (which in 2 years time their is likely to be some secondhand at a more affordable price) then we will be in the position to move over. I know alot of units in more affluent areas children can use the pester power as parents can afford a complete new uniform. When the girls start they pay once for uniform and if they dont loose it or trash it (which non of our girls have done as they take pride in their uniform and if we a doing a messy activity or one that may damage their uniform they wear old clothes or old uniform, which is how we make it last. A few girls leaving and not giving the uniform back in the 11/12 age means we have a gap so i was asking if anyone had the same shirts the rest have to keep them in uniform if not it will be blue tops to look like the rest as the option for new style isnt their. We wont get given funds for 17 new uniforms and if we raised that we have better uses, such as making it so we can take the girls away on camp or pack holiday which they love but we are very restricted due to adaptations (which i am working on fundraising for), also subsidizing events when they occur so girls can do the bigger events that generally cost alot and we have to fundraise for. So when for the majority we have enough uniform its a few sizes 32,34,36 mainly we are short. If not then we will move all the girls into bigger uniform (and parents dont mind as it was second hand good condition anyway. When they changed over last time it was 2/3 years for any girls to change its not if we like it or not.
Well I know it, I live in a deprived area. But amongst the guidelines they are advertising a fund which is especially intended for units in your position to enable them to get uniform for their members - I'd be happy to help any unit to draft their application. There are quite a few charities, legacies and funds which can help. Money does not need to be a barrier.

I think it's really impressive that you have made a way for girls from lower income families to be able to access girlguiding and be in uniform. Well done! I do think it might be worth applying for the additional funding now while it's available to you though. They'll make you change it eventually and there is cash to help available now.. The initiative to have a pool of shirts that can be reused and a separate place for badges is excellent (and in keeping with efforts to encourage guides to think about the environment. You're pioneering a brilliant scheme to make guiding more accessible and you have a really good case for CHQ to give you a grant to buy a new set of the new uniform which can then be passed on to the next set of guides and reused.

ann

Veteran (100+ posts)
Ours also live in a deprived area and usually have 2nd hand uniform which is not an option at the moment with the new uniform. However we are trying to get new tops for them this time but apart from ordering from Trading, has anyone managed to get the new tops from school outfitters (we don't have a local trading depot and parents want the girls to try them on first), have spoken to our local shops and none of them are intending to stock the new tops until they've sold out of the old ones (one has loads left apparently and one has just ordered and been sent loads of the old style - don't know if this is from Trading or our 3rd party suppliers)

Looks like the girls are going to be out of uniform for awhile (they are currently wearing blue school polo shirts)

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Ours also live in a deprived area and usually have 2nd hand uniform which is not an option at the moment with the new uniform. However we are trying to get new tops for them this time but apart from ordering from Trading, has anyone managed to get the new tops from school outfitters (we don't have a local trading depot and parents want the girls to try them on first), have spoken to our local shops and none of them are intending to stock the new tops until they've sold out of the old ones (one has loads left apparently and one has just ordered and been sent loads of the old style - don't know if this is from Trading or our 3rd party suppliers)

Looks like the girls are going to be out of uniform for awhile (they are currently wearing blue school polo shirts)
Would trading not let you have a sale-or-return supply? Then you could have a trying-on night, and that would let the Guides and their folks both see what they look like on, and work out what size to order in order to allow room for growth!

RainbowC

Brownie Leader
... has anyone managed to get the new tops from school outfitters (we don't have a local trading depot and parents want the girls to try them on first), have spoken to our local shops and none of them are intending to stock the new tops until they've sold out of the old ones (one has loads left apparently and one has just ordered and been sent loads of the old style - don't know if this is from Trading or our 3rd party suppliers)

My local school shop said when I asked that they wouldn't be able to get the new uniform for 6 months - I presumed this was a rule so that the first flurry of orders would have to go direct to GG.

Last edited:

Hilary

Guide Guider and District Commissioner
GuiderPlus
School outfitters sell David Luke so presumably it will take a while for David Luke to copy the uniform, organise suppliers etc. Why not just buy a few "samples" in average sizes from trading for them to see, try on and buy if they want to?