• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Guiding and PGCE

Lol - at least it wasn't -'do you have a clubcard?'. The number of times I asked people that 4 or 5 times in one transaction because my brain was an autopilot mode!

Kingfisher

Veteran (100+ posts)
Yeah - I cou;dn't manage anything earlier than Guids, even though I'm not too bad at getting away earlish on a Monday. There's some nights when I've been at school till 6, and staying till 5 is not uncommon for me. I'm 10 miles away at the moment - with my first palcement I was lucky and was only 3 miles away. Some people hae been sent MUCH further.

And to back Dolly up on the paperwork - everything has to be completed in octuplicate at least, signed in blood and countersigned by your next door neighbour's auntie's goldfish. We have forms to say which forms we have filled in and I'm surprisef there isn't a form to say you've filled in the form to say you've filled in a form...
hahaha this made me giggle, but it's sooooo true, and unfortunately not too far from the truth in actual teaching!!!!!!

lucy_jb

Veteran (100+ posts)
hahaha this made me giggle, but it's sooooo true, and unfortunately not too far from the truth in actual teaching!!!!!!
My school finishes at 3:20pm. Unless we have a meeting or twlight after school, it's rare that I'm still there after 3:30pm. I just want to get away at the end of the day. I go earlier in the morning though.

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
I tend to stay later, as if I go home I just sit and mess around, checking my email, FB, here, and lo and behold, suddently I've wasted 90 mins. Whereas at school I can't do that, so get on with work. I try to do it so that all I have to do at home is printing and laminating flashcards etc, stuff I can do in front of the TV. On my first placement I left pretty early usually, and would mess around, tehn be still sat finishing stuff off at 11pm. Whereas now, I am more disciplined, and a few weeks ago, thought I was in for a long night (another 11pm finish). I was actually done for Waterloo Road o clock cos I just got on with it, didn't even eat till I was done. I have been at school till 6pm once or twice, leaving after most of hte teachers in the department.

Clur Bur

Beginner (10+ posts)
Hi all! I'm most of the way through my PGDE in Scotland (I'm going to be a technology teacher!) and I find juggling 2 guide units and uni a nightmare! I recently took over one of the units as the GIC stepped down and I help with another unit too. I'm still undecided about whether to only help with one unit once I start working in Aug but I really enjoy both units! Will I still want to come home and curl up on the couch when I start "proper" teaching?!! It's so tiring going from workshop to class to workshop, then to the hall full of 36 Guides, but I wud hate missing Guides. Has anyone else gone through this???

Monkie

Beginner (10+ posts)
Hello,

Liking this thread! I am due to start my PGCE in september, I was wondering how Brownies was going to fit in! I am not GiC so thats ok, but I have the chance to do my camp Licence next year (with guides), but now thinking maybe not...

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
It's so tiring going from workshop to class to workshop, then to the hall full of 36 Guides, but I wud hate missing Guides. Has anyone else gone through this???
Yes. The number of times I get in from school, flop down onto the settee and think I really can't be bothered going to Guides, which is really unlike me. I'm usually okay once I get there, though quite often I will be there in body only, not really in mind...

Are you in uni and on placement at the same time? I am in school 5 days a week, so only go into uni the occasionally, for instance the last week before the Easter hols was a uni week. At teh start of the first plaecment we were just in 3 days a week, so I was at uni Monday and Tuesday.

bluepiglet

Rainbow Leader
I became a district Guider during my PGCE- just helped out the odd unit as and when I could (not very often). I then had a break from guiding for 3 years- a combination of teaching and personal changes (moved twice, spilt up with boyfriend before meeting someone new- didn't want to commit to a unit when moving around a lot, and to be honest, not sure I could have coped). Teaching does get easier but don't overestimate how much! The NQT and 2nd year are tough going, there's the extra responsibilies you don't have as a trainee e.g. fulltime form tutor, and you'll be teaching more as well (assuming your course works like the one I mentor for). It very much depends on your school how easy the next few years are as well. I've found that 4th year onwards has been much easier, I have seen cohorts go through the school from Y7 to 11 and they've known me a long time so behaviour is not really an issue. (I speak as a secondary teacher, now head of subject in a 'good' school.)

I'm an ITT mentor as well- aim for that work life balance :)

bluepiglet

Rainbow Leader
yes, and how much support you get given as an NQT. It was a little 'sink or swim' at my school, though I believe it's better now. Ask at interview about induction- who's in charge of it, what sort of support NQTs get, how many extra non-contacts you'll get etc.

[reminds herself her trainee had an interview today- off to find out how it went]

twinkletwinklestar

Veteran (100+ posts)
I did Brownies, Rangers and PGCE. Most weeks Rangers didn't happen but I was only assisting. Brownies i have been running the unit for 3 years so just played it by ear and rarely planned anything requiring loads of prep. It was doable and now I'm able to spend more time doing Brownie stuff.

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
I'm an NQT and a full time form tutor, so I suppose that kind of situation varies from school to school.
I had an interview in March, and we were made aware at that that we would be expected to be a form tutor.

When I was in Y7, my form tutor had only just qualified; she'd been teaching less than a term before taking on us (and we were enough to put anyone off!!), and I can remember another brand new teacher the following year having a form too, though this was 13 years ago.

I'm feeling a bit more positive, though, than when I first started this thread - talking to other people in my course, I appear to have made much better progress in the work life balance than others, as wella s being one of the few who have managed to get lesson planning down to abou an hour per class.

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
I keep forgetting that your timings will be different since you are not doing secondary. Our social science people ahve aslightly different yearly timetable to take into consideration that they teach 6th form, and all teh Y13s leave in a few weeks, therefore there's very little teaching for them after.

I can't apply for the job I want to at the moment as the application is not on their website yet. But I will be phoning them on Tuesday morning.

The school I had an interview at a few months ago is now advertising again. So either the person who got it has dropped out (don't think so, as I'd have imagined she'd have emailed us to say), teh other MFL teacher has left or they have decided to expand further still. Not going to reapply, though.