• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Harry Potter Pack Holiday

SomerTimeGirl

Regular (50+ posts)
A while ago I posted asking for some ideas for pack holiday themes. We have decided on a Harry Potter Theme.
The idea is for each activity to represent a class. We thought that for herbology the girls could plant a herb garden. For care of magical creatures they could have a creature hunt. For potions they could mix their own drinks and for transfiguration we thought they could make something out of recycled materials.
Has anyone else done any Harry Potter themed activities. If so then ideas would definitely be most welcome!

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
Our district pack holiday in half term is Harry Potter themed. The 52 girls attending are going to be sorted into the 4 houses for their activity groups, and all the adults have teacher names (I am Madam Pomfrey as I get the lovely job of first aider).

I don't know exactly what activities we are doing yet as I haven't been involved in that bit, but we have a meeting on Monday where I find out the final programme, so I can give you some more ideas then.

careba2010

Veteran (100+ posts)
I did a guide camp on a Harry Potter theme if you PM me your email I can send you over some of the props I made to give you some ideas of what I did!

Smartie

Mod and wearer of many hats!!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
We did! Camp fire was assembly, we made bath bombs for potions, decorated picture frames for transfiguration, were taught fire lighting and willow weaving for herbology, played quidditch, stargazed for astronomy, creature wide game for care of magical creatures. Then in their camp diaries, they had some have a go magic tricks for charms, a palm reading thing for divination and some puzzles for ancient runes.
We also held a Triwizard tournament by splitting them into three teams, getting to come up with their own wizarding name, and then had lots of silly challenges to earn points for.

We also had a sorting ceremony, where they wore a hat with a walkie talkie inside, and a leader in a tent doing the talking as we called their names out. They loved it!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

fruityloop92

Veteran (100+ posts)
We 'visited' Honeydukes, and they made different types of sweets like armpit fudge and peppermint creams.

We did potions as well which was making fruit juice cocktails, had a sorting ceremony, and for our party, we got witches hats from Baker Ross, made pipe cleaner glasses and drew a lighting scar on their foreheads with a lipliner pencil.

At one point we had storytime, so I read some of the book to them - my tip is to not read from the beginning as the first chapter isn't that exciting, but start from where he goes to Diagon Alley or Hogwarts for the first time.

Have fun!

BGleader

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Can I just ask... if you have had a HP meeting or camp, did you confirm that all your girls had read the books/seen the movies?

I had a Brownie ask me about having a HP night, but I wasn't sure since some of the younger girls hadn't experienced the wizarding world yet. Didn't want to spoil it for them! Or would this be a fun way to introduce it...?

cerys80

Brownie Leader
Can I just ask... if you have had a HP meeting or camp, did you confirm that all your girls had read the books/seen the movies?

I had a Brownie ask me about having a HP night, but I wasn't sure since some of the younger girls hadn't experienced the wizarding world yet. Didn't want to spoil it for them! Or would this be a fun way to introduce it...?
We did it last year and found that once the girls had voted for this theme (which we tweaked slightly into Bluebird's Academy of Magic - a prep school for younger witches and wizards, sort of a feeder school for Hogwarts ! ;) ), the parents got behind it and had them reading a book or watching the first movie. You'll be surprised how many know of it, especially if they have older siblings too.

Cloudy Owl

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
Love the Gingerbread challenge, love this one too!! Am thinking for Pack Holiday in October - yes, pack holiday that I said I would never do again ...

Have recently done a very successful residential on a HP theme for my licence. My activities and ideas caused quite a positive stir on Girlguiding UK Facebook page. Let me know if you need any ideas :) or search for me on the fb page and you will see some of what I did .. Cat Aspinall

In addition to many of the ideas above (which were fab - some of the girls were totally convinced that our 'sorting hat' could actually speak!), we also had a wand ceremony where we explained that the 'wand chooses the wizard'. Wands were 30cm lenghs of dowel, with hole drilled into the end (into which they later glued a feather to make the wand 'less pokable'). They came up, chose a wand and tapped a jug which had an LED light in the bottom, said a spell (illuminata), and when they'd picked the 'right' wand, I flicked a switch so the jug, which we'd filled with ice cubes to enhance the effect, glowed with different colours. I also treated fir cones and made candles that burned with different colour 'magical' flames, which enthralled the girls (and leaders!) at our campfire - though could only burn these after all marshmallows had been toasted as didn't want anyone eating copper suplhate, etc.

MummyOwl

Brownie Leader
I went on this Pack Holiday (and was honoured to be the voice of the sorting hat - hidden in the kitchen and talking through a walkie talkie.... ask Nolisa how to do it - it was AMAZING to see the faces of the Brownies when they were given their houses!)

As well as the coloured-flame campfire (awesome!) fave activity was game of Quidditch... hilarious on home-made brooms!!!

In addition to many of the ideas above (which were fab - some of the girls were totally convinced that our 'sorting hat' could actually speak!), we also had a wand ceremony where we explained that the 'wand chooses the wizard'. Wands were 30cm lenghs of dowel, with hole drilled into the end (into which they later glued a feather to make the wand 'less pokable'). They came up, chose a wand and tapped a jug which had an LED light in the bottom, said a spell (illuminata), and when they'd picked the 'right' wand, I flicked a switch so the jug, which we'd filled with ice cubes to enhance the effect, glowed with different colours. I also treated fir cones and made candles that burned with different colour 'magical' flames, which enthralled the girls (and leaders!) at our campfire - though could only burn these after all marshmallows had been toasted as didn't want anyone eating copper suplhate, etc.

Rainbow Sunny

Regular (50+ posts)
I attended a residential week with children from another young organisation that was Harry Potter theme. We had sorting hat that spoke ( a tiny tape dicta phone thing), made wands, each dorm was one of the houses. The staff had HE teacher names and wore black capes from bin bags, sarongs, anything long and floaty. We played quidditch in the swimming pool using a yellow ball and riding on those long foamy things, the children loved it. We had a couple of big toy Owls too. It worked very well.

bookworm_nat123

rainbow/brownie leader, ranger
The girls have just chosen this theme so am very excited, how does the sorting hat with walkie talkie work? did you just tape it into a witches hat? xx

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
The girls have just chosen this theme so am very excited, how does the sorting hat with walkie talkie work? did you just tape it into a witches hat? xx
I used a pre-recorded dictaphone. The one I used had a wrist strap, so I safety pinned that to the inside of the very top of the hat, but actually was holding the hat near the top the whole time to also hold onto the dictaphone (aside from anything else it would have been too heavy not to). I had my thumb on the play button, and rather than pressing it all the way down so it clicked on, just pressed it enough to play then released it in between girls (rather than clicking on and off) so they couldn't hear what I was doing. So I still had my hand holding the hat while it was on their heads. I did practise this a bit in advance! You just have to be a bit careful the angle you lift it up at etc so you don't tilt it the wrong way and show them all.

My boyfriend at the time recorded the voice for me, we worked out what to say for each girl so it wasn't totally generic and actually played off their personalities and talents. I had a printed scroll and that was the order the girls were called up in so I couldn't get in a muddle. We also had ready prepared name badges, which I gave each girl after lifting the hat back up. Once we'd finished I put lists of who was in each house up on the noticeboard (prepared ready... we'd chosen in advance who was going in which six, hence matching the recordings to specific girls and having the list to call them up by. It wasn't random.).

When we had a party one night and all dressed up I ended up wearing the hat we'd used for sorting - although without the dictaphone obviously. Interestingly it wasn't until they saw the hat again that the girls started asking to see inside it for confirmation there wasn't anything hidden inside that had done the voice (none of them asked when we were doing the sorting, I think they were too excited and enjoying it too much). And as there wasn't by that point they seemed to enjoy the 'proof' that it really was magic lol. It was quite funny. (It probably also helped that the voice was clearly a male voice so couldn't have been any of us leaders).

The hat we used was a foam-type fabric 'sorting hat' from amazon I think, with a face on it (black tho', not the tan leather colour from the films), but I think any witch's hat would be fine. Especially once it starts talking and their imaginations kick in!

MummyOwl

Brownie Leader
We had a similar idea.... we borrowed a baby monitor. The 'parent monitor' was sewn inside the hat (don't forget to switch it on!) and I was in the kitchen... peering through the serving hatch.... talking into the 'baby monitor' doing my best impression of Leslie Phillips!

We made sure we agreed the order of girls who approached the hat (alphabetical is easiest) and we had agreed who was going into which House... that way I could ad-lib about "this ones a tricky one" etc but get the actual House correct!!!

It was AMAZINGLY effective!!!

We also had a sorting ceremony, where they wore a hat with a walkie talkie inside, and a leader in a tent doing the talking as we called their names out. They loved it!

k