• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

How many is too few?

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Ideally I'd say 12-15 depending on section.

If cost not an issue, I'd say no fewer than 8, but honestly at that number, if capacity I'd offer it to another group.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Although I’d bear in mind the venue and number of girls in the unit, I’d agree with Browniebeth. If it’s fewer than 8 I’d reconsider running.

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
I agree, if less than 8 then I'd look at joining up with another unit or finding a county/ region event to attend where being a small group wouldn't matter.

growlywench

Veteran (100+ posts)
I agree, if less than 8 then I'd look at joining up with another unit or finding a county/ region event to attend where being a small group wouldn't matter.
Something like Magic and Mayhem may be ideal, especially if the OP has a bit of a journey to get to a venue - travel easier with a small group, and a bigger adventure if going further.

I think we are meant to have enough for 2 sixes, certainly this is the guidance if you are taking your licence. I don't think I would want to go with less than 12, and we have to remember to not have too many adults to children, but we need at least 3, ideally 4 .

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I know that you say accommodation and cost are not affected, but there is always an impact on cost even if the venue charges per head rather than a flat fee. The economies of scale for buying food etc are impacted and activities.

You need it to financially viable as well as socially viable. At least two 'working groups' ie sixes or patrols would be minimum to my mind. That said I have taken 2 Guides to a large activity camp and 4 Guides to Wellies. For a 'normal' unit residential 8 would be minimum in my mind..

turnip

Veteran (100+ posts)
Like Quack, I’ve gone to a big camp with only 2 Guides on a couple of occasions. It was fine but I felt the girls would’ve had more fun in a slightly bigger group (I took 6 this year which was fine).

But for a pack holiday with just your girls, probably 8-10 is the minimum to make it worthwhile.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I think we are meant to have enough for 2 sixes, certainly this is the guidance if you are taking your licence. I don't think I would want to go with less than 12, and we have to remember to not have too many adults to children, but we need at least 3, ideally 4 .
As the definition of a Six is a group of 4 or more girls, 8 counts as the two Sixes minimum.

LittleBrownOwl85

Beginner (10+ posts)
Thanks all.
The reason for my question was that, due to a number of things, we have ended up with just 9 Brownies. We tried different dates etc to get more girls, and other units weren't available to join us.
We spoke to the parents about this, and rather than cancel we decided to go ahead with the holiday, reasoning that the higher adult:girl ratio would enable us to do activities that we wouldn't usually be able to do with a large group.
We have the minimum of 3 adult leaders, and we also have 3 YL's who will each shadow a leader to get to grips with the roles (get them in young!).

It seems that the DC has an issue with our numbers, and I'm worried she will say we have to cancel.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Thanks all.
The reason for my question was that, due to a number of things, we have ended up with just 9 Brownies. We tried different dates etc to get more girls, and other units weren't available to join us.
We spoke to the parents about this, and rather than cancel we decided to go ahead with the holiday, reasoning that the higher adult:girl ratio would enable us to do activities that we wouldn't usually be able to do with a large group.
We have the minimum of 3 adult leaders, and we also have 3 YL's who will each shadow a leader to get to grips with the roles (get them in young!).

It seems that the DC has an issue with our numbers, and I'm worried she will say we have to cancel.
I suspect where she will find difficulty isn't with the number of girls per se, but with overstaffing. Even with 18 or 24 girls, three YLs would be considered a large number, with a risk of them stepping in to do stuff or supervise stuff the girls should be getting to do unaided.

LittleBrownOwl85

Beginner (10+ posts)
I suspect where she will find difficulty isn't with the number of girls per se, but with overstaffing. Even with 18 or 24 girls, three YLs would be considered a large number, with a risk of them stepping in to do stuff or supervise stuff the girls should be getting to do unaided.
Ah, I guess that makes sense. Thanks Fenris.
Hopefully we won't have this situation again, as we will be able to go away at our normal time. But if it does, any ideas on how to choose which YL to take? They're all interested in different things, which is why it has worked out so well with each shadowing a leader!

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Have you actually spoken to your DC about it and explained the situation/ reasoning ? If she has any concerns, it may be easier to resolve them in a short phone call rather than emails or texts..

LittleBrownOwl85

Beginner (10+ posts)
Have you actually spoken to your DC about it and explained the situation/ reasoning ? If she has any concerns, it may be easier to resolve them in a short phone call rather than emails or texts..
Yes, we have now spoken.
Didn't have the option to chat before, as the REN wasn't returned to me because she forgot that she had concerns, then when she finally got back to me I was away and had no phone signal!