• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

How to enjoy 'Now'.

Burghilly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Us leaders are always thinking ahead and always have something to plan, whether it's next week's meeting , next terms programme or next year's international trip.

How do others manage to enjoy 'now '?

I know I'm guilty of being part-way through a busy unit meeting and think 'Phew- glad this one is nearly over, but I still need to pick up those resources for our district day next week.'
How do you stop and just enjoy the moment with the girls?

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
Might depend on the age group, but rainbows like the familiar (particulary any with special needs). As repetitive as it is for leaders, the girls like playing the same familiar fun games. The also like a structure/routine so they know what to expect. The rainbows also like to be creative and in particular to create something edible or do a craft activity, but creativity can come out in other ways too like teamwork games and playing outside or do songs with actions.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Us leaders are always thinking ahead and always have something to plan, whether it's next week's meeting , next terms programme or next year's international trip.

How do others manage to enjoy 'now '?

I know I'm guilty of being part-way through a busy unit meeting and think 'Phew- glad this one is nearly over, but I still need to pick up those resources for our district day next week.'
How do you stop and just enjoy the moment with the girls?
During the summer holidays, I aim to have 4 Guiding-free weeks. They may not be consecutive, depending on when events are scheduled, but I nevertheless schedule them. And I also set myself a target activity to do during the summer holidays that isn't directly Guiding linked. Might be a DIY project on the house, might be a personal target (this year I chose to do a fitness-related one). Taking time out means I return to the Guiding hobby refreshed.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I'm quite often busy with other Guiding roles that you forget the joy of a unit meeting. Yes, there are issues and trauma's, girls falling out, activities not going quite to plan but I try to take a little time to listen to the girls and what they are saying not thinking we are listening, it is quite an eyeopener. Also watching how they have developed from the shy newcomer to the confident patrol member... that's why I take all the flak in the other aspects..