• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

How to start a camp blanket!

(I was another one silly enough to take badges off! only to have to re sew them all + more! lol)
Oh gosh, I considered doing that as some were sewn on when I was 11 as a Guide by my Mum, I'm so glad I changed my mind though as I love it being a little bit kooky looking - not all the badges are straight but it still looks funky! Having said that I am always jealous of people with really neat ones - but I could never face unpicking 100+ badges and resewing them!

IvyN

Veteran (100+ posts)
To people who have theirs as ponchos, do you buy a big blanket and make it a poncho, or can you just buy a poncho first, and use that?
Also, is it best to just stick to badges you've earned or "qualify" for, such as interest badges you did when brownies/guides, county silks/standards of where you've lived, centenary badges of just the places you live/events you've gone to, and fun badges, or is it "acceptable" to use any badge you like and that's caught your eye?

charmedone100

rainbow gic and guide al
to people who have theirs as ponchos, do you buy a big blanket and make it a poncho, or can you just buy a poncho first, and use that?
Also, is it best to just stick to badges you've earned or "qualify" for, such as interest badges you did when brownies/guides, county silks/standards of where you've lived, centenary badges of just the places you live/events you've gone to, and fun badges, or is it "acceptable" to use any badge you like and that's caught your eye?

it is up to you!!!!

catdrew

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
buying a poncho is easier than making one but making is more personal to you.

whatever badges you want to put on just do it. there are no hard and fast rules to obey.

Storm Owl

Guider - Girl Guides of Canada
I am going crazy ladies! I can't decide between a cape or a poncho!! I need help to make this decision - ultimately, it still has to function as a blanket I think. Poncho seems like it would be easier to wear and nice and warm, but I'm not a fan of having a hole in the middle of it when being used as a blanket.

Brainstorm.. what about a poncho with a zip out hood that could be tucked away when in blanket mode? Hmm... I wonder if there's a pattern for that...

Smudge

The Doctor (5000+ posts)
I discovered that the shaped of my camp works really well with my mummy bag if I use it up side so the foot part of the sleeping part of sleeping bag tucks into the hood of my cape - will take a pic at camp in a couple of weeks.

IvyN

Veteran (100+ posts)
The poncho I got (the adult Scouts one), it's hole is desgined so that it's not one big O in the middle, it's more like a pair of lips, so shouldn't be too bad as a blanket, not one over a duvet or sleeping bag or something.

ScareyClarey

Recently Qualified Brownie Leader
GuiderPlus
Mine has a slit at the moment but I am thinking of trying to make a hood too. Thought I could use poppers to attach it.

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
I discovered that the shaped of my camp works really well with my mummy bag if I use it up side so the foot part of the sleeping part of sleeping bag tucks into the hood of my cape - will take a pic at camp in a couple of weeks.
It must be late when I am looking at this - but that sounds kinda complicated - like getting into a sleeping bag after one too many!!!!!!

Ta-dah!

Veteran (100+ posts)
I know this is on this thread some where, but I can't find it!

I have some neckies I want to sew on to my blanket. Any tips what the best way of going about it is?

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
I know this is on this thread some where, but I can't find it!

I have some neckies I want to sew on to my blanket. Any tips what the best way of going about it is?
If you find it, let me know. Can't recall ever seeing it, but I have a blanket that is currently rather spikey as I have used about 50 pins to anchor each necker where I want it!

Ta-dah!

Veteran (100+ posts)
It's maybe not on this thread, but I have definitely seen it and with pictures.

I want to do the thing where you roll it like a neckie and then sew it on..

Storm Owl

Guider - Girl Guides of Canada
Last edited:

RainbowC

Brownie Leader
I like the ones in the second link there - and if I've read it right they're reversible, so there's twice as much space for badges! :D Tis a bit pricey, though...

It's maybe not on this thread, but I have definitely seen it and with pictures.

I want to do the thing where you roll it like a neckie and then sew it on..
my camp blanket is just a blanket not a poncho
but i rolloed mine like neckies then fabric glued them in position (makes easier for sewing without them unrolling) them sew round all the edges =] and i would do the same if it were a poncho
jut get some one to help you and they or you wear the poncho while the other sticks the necker on =] then take of carfully and sew sew sew =]

white_tiger

Veteran (100+ posts)
::nature-003:

If you fill up your camp blanket, buy a bigger piece of material (e.g fleece) and sew your current blanket to it.:nature-008:
Make sure when you sew the blankets together there is enough room to sew more badges round the edge.
This means all your badges are in one place, plus ou have a cosier blanket!! :)