• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

How to start a camp blanket!

kirstyr

Veteran (100+ posts)
I've just started mine. (17 years after starting as a Brownie!!) Just couldn't pick a 'perfect' blanket. Got the reduced senior section girlguiding one. Making it into a poncho. Managed to cut a hole (straight cut) not too big, and binding it with some blue satin to match the binding at the end. I've done it so the corners are at the end of my arms, and centre at the front/back) So far sewn my guide sash onto the corner at one side (end of an arm) and Brownie sash to the opposite side. (Mum's going to sew my binding on around my head hole, so far its just pinned in place)

Tinsel

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I've only recently started mine about 15 years after I started as a Brownie! Apart from the badges on my sash I only had one other badge which I got from Youlbury when we went on pack holiday there when I was a brownie, now my collection has grown hugely in the last couple of months, badge collecting is too addictive!

Tinsel

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
http://www.fleeceponchos.co.uk
Has anyone heard of or used this website for their ponchos? I came across this while searching as the blanket I was meaning to use is just too big and requires major sewing to get it to the pattern I have in mind.

I also just found this site: http://search.cartserver.com/search...category=atmaster&maxhits=10&keywords=9913401

Just brainstorming as I have about 6-7 months to start/finish my badge blanket so that it is more easily portable to England.
(Apologise for all the posts in a row, I keep reading back on past comments and thinking of things to write in reply!)

I was just looking at the first website and its given me the idea of putting a toggle kind of fastener on my blanket :) I've got a T-shape slit as a head hole at the moment but attaching a fastener will make it look nice and less likely to flap open when using as a blanket :D

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I've taken all the badges off mine now, & am re-arranging it.

Done the first bits - although I have cheated a bit by gluing them on first, I'm going to sew round them - I think it's going to look neater this way.

The photos are ones I took to see what it would look like, it has changed a bit since I glued the badges on, but it's not changed much - I've re-arranged the Guide Trefoils but will post more photos when I've done more!

Attachments

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
The round one is the Pax Lodge pin, the one on the other side is a BOGUK (Best of Guiding UK) metal pin, but part of the enamel has come off.

Marie

Guide Guider
It's actually Guiding_UK - easy to get confused between their name and this one, I've got confused sometimes.

I have one of those badges, I wear it pinned in my collar and it's helped me find one or two other users of the list in my county - usually because they have spotted it and said something to me!

Tina Tulip

Rainbow Guider, Division Commisioner
Just finished my camp blanket :) No more room although I still have about 20 odd badges to sew on my next blanket! Not sure if I should go for another Guide blanket when they're back in stock with trading, or something else. Will have to take some pictures but we're all out of AA batteries for the camera and hubby is out with his iPhone so I can't borrow that either!

Really proud that I've done it though. It has every badge I've earned since starting Brownies at 9 years old, through Guides (although my BP Trefoil is a little too precious for my blanket!), YL and all the things I've done as a leader either with or without the girls plus loads of treats (mainly centenary via this site!) I re-started my blanket a couple of years ago as my old one was horrid and not at all warm so I had to unpick everything that was on there and start over. The centenary has certainly helped to fill all the gaps! And it's all ready for Rainbow sleepover next weekend :)

Just sewed 2 badges onto DD's Brownie gillet so I guess in the absence of a new camp blanket for me, I'd better finish DD's blanket as I still have a load of Rainbow badges to add to it, not to mention all the badges I bought for her over the centenary when I was treating myself!!

shazzab

SS Leader and busy mum to 2 busy dd's
GuiderPlus
It's actually Guiding_UK - easy to get confused between their name and this one, I've got confused sometimes.

I have one of those badges, I wear it pinned in my collar and it's helped me find one or two other users of the list in my county - usually because they have spotted it and said something to me!
It would be good to have a guiders.co.uk pin (a little enamel one) that we could wear to spot fellow members. the necker is great but can't wear it all the time as we have our unit one to wear :)

cerys80

Brownie Leader
It would be good to have a guiders.co.uk pin (a little enamel one) that we could wear to spot fellow members. the necker is great but can't wear it all the time as we have our unit one to wear :)
There is a badge freaks button pin one ... I got one when I was ordering pin badges for the pack :)

Caz-Owl

Brownie & Guide Leader
Silly question coming up (sorry if it's already been answered somewhere on here) - what kind of stich does everybody use for sewing badges onto their blankets? I've never sewn any badges before so I'm a bit clueless!

Kingfisher*

Veteran (100+ posts)
Silly question coming up (sorry if it's already been answered somewhere on here) - what kind of stich does everybody use for sewing badges onto their blankets? I've never sewn any badges before so I'm a bit clueless!
I have no idea what the stitch is called, but i bring the needle up just inside the embrodered bit, and then bring the thread over the embroidered edge, and bring the needle back down on the outside of the badge and into the blanket.
Enjoy your blanketeering!

alex122rw

Veteran (100+ posts)
I cheat, my nan has a sewing machine I can borrow:)

mines not got many on, but has began in most the corners, with brownie ones in a single cornewr, guides in another, SS and also the odd scout one out of another. another corner being stored slear for the time being!