• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

I'm a ... guider part 60

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
I’m a Guider loving the latest Go update. I love that proper records can now be made on things like promise date and six. It makes it so much easier than paper or other records and takes away any concerns about “where am I allowed to store X?”

Last edited:

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
I’m a Guider loving the latest Go update. I love that proper records can now be made on things like promise date and six. It makes it so much easier than paper or other records and takes away any concerns about “where am I allowed to store X?”
But where do you input the Six they're in?

LittleBrownOwl85

Beginner (10+ posts)
I'm a Guider that hopes the weather will become a bit dryer in the week, as we are camping with family and friends. Whilst we are fine in all weathers, the others aren't Guiders! :D

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
I'm a Guider who got confirmation through that she has completed Narrowboat Qualification - another badge gained!
I have to face my fear of Narrowboats as my Scouts have requested a weekend on our local Scout one, and they need me as an over 18.

(My fear is down to the fact I fractured my knee on said Narrowboat last year and now have a lovely scar.... And i'm really scared of doing it again!)

mazi159

Assistant Guide Guider
I'm a shattered guider. My weeks annual leave instead of it being at camp or chilling at home (as was planned with the two dogs) it was instead being full time carer and dog sitter all at once!

AngliaGuider

Regular (50+ posts)
I'm a Guider with a chuffed daughter who has received her letter about going on her ICE part 2 trip to Ireland next Easter :)

It is the first time anyone from our District (or Division, as far as I know) has done ICE, so I'm proud of her for giving it a go. We've said that we will pay the deposit for her, and she is going to fundraise the rest of the cost.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I'm a Guider who is weary of new programme negativity. Without anyone having yet had the chance to try it, they are convinced that it won't work, that it's too like school, that they'll never be able to afford or store equipment, that Rainbows won't cope with Rainbow badges, Brownies won't bother, and in either case they'll end up doing them in the unit meetings. There is criticism of the topics the Skills Builders cover, and criticism ot the topics they don't. There are those that vow that because they personally do not choose to run camps (as is their free choice) it means that the girls cannot possibly cover a Camp-themes Skills Builder at any level. There are Rainbow units who have set up agreements with Brownie units that every Rainbow will only get to do level 1 Skills Builders regardless of ability, maturity or prior knowledge, so the Brownies can choose whether the girls do level 2 or level 3.

None of them have given it a second's fair trial, and several state they have no intention of doing so. But they don't need to because of course, they know it's a load of rubbish anyway. The verdict has been delivered based on speculation, without the bother of collecting actual evidence.

AngliaGuider

Regular (50+ posts)
I'm a Guider who is weary of new programme negativity. Without anyone having yet had the chance to try it, they are convinced that it won't work, that it's too like school, that they'll never be able to afford or store equipment, that Rainbows won't cope with Rainbow badges, Brownies won't bother, and in either case they'll end up doing them in the unit meetings. There is criticism of the topics the Skills Builders cover, and criticism ot the topics they don't. There are those that vow that because they personally do not choose to run camps (as is their free choice) it means that the girls cannot possibly cover a Camp-themes Skills Builder at any level. There are Rainbow units who have set up agreements with Brownie units that every Rainbow will only get to do level 1 Skills Builders regardless of ability, maturity or prior knowledge, so the Brownies can choose whether the girls do level 2 or level 3.

None of them have given it a second's fair trial, and several state they have no intention of doing so. But they don't need to because of course, they know it's a load of rubbish anyway. The verdict has been delivered based on speculation, without the bother of collecting actual evidence.
In many ways, it is like the new Guide uniform. People hated it, the Guides were going to hate it, leaders weren't going to offer it to their Guides, the change from navy was Just Not On. Never mind that the previous change away from royal blue to navy had been greeted with the same disgust back then...

And now, I rarely see any individuals wearing old uniform, people have got used to it - and in my experience, Guides are liking and choosing to wear the skirt and even the dress. And those same leaders have moved on to the latest thing to complain about.

Yes, it is new. No, it isn't perfect - there will be teething issues and people who are determined not to like it on principle will avoid it as far as they can. But most of us will make the best of it, be a little flexible and in time the issues will be evened out and we'll largely forget there was ever another way. Just like when GFIs were invented. And Go!, then GO, and now the new programme recording functionality.

We know that there was never going to be a perfect way to introduce change. And it does feel clunky and strange. But I got my copies of the UMA packs this week. What with planning in time for a skills builder, and for each patrol to choose one UMA for the unit to do together as an intro, and then looking at the rest of the things that we are planning to do anyway and, where I can, finding programme material that matches closely enough to count - we're almost at that magical 60% without much trying. If we weren't also doing finishing one last GFI alongside, we'd fit in even more activities.

I'm still waiting to see the rest of the skills builders, and I'm interested to see what additions are released and changes in interpretation develop over the next year or two. But I guess all we can do is just keep gently plugging the positives, and give the doubters time. We can't all be early adopters - and inevitably the complaints are shouted louder than the "OK, I'll give it a go"s. People have got a year to get their heads around it. And, at the end of the day, Girlguiding haven't deliberately tried to produce a failure. If it wasn't working in practice they'd make changes - they need it to work as much as we need it to work. And in the meantime, there's wine. And chocolate. :)

MummySquirrel

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm a Guider who has just returned from a holiday in a caravan with 4 of her grandchildren (aged 6-14). We've had a great time, even though we haven't had fantastic weather. We've been to a zoo, a castle, been bird watching, played cards, picked blackberries, baked and done a Murder Mystery Treasure Trail...... and I haven't really thought about the new programme whilst I've been away!!!

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
I'm a Guider who is moving house on Friday, and is so not ready.

The house has no fitted kitchen yet, appliances are just in boxes all over and we've not been able to decorate.

I'm also just really, really stressing about it all as I can't see how we're possibly going to be packed to move on Friday

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I'm a Guider sending Kerstee hugs, I spent the first four months in my house using a camp table and cooking on a two ring camping gaz hob. You get by with what you have and appreciate it all the more when things start to come together.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
I'm a Guider sending Kerstee hugs, I spent the first four months in my house using a camp table and cooking on a two ring camping gaz hob. You get by with what you have and appreciate it all the more when things start to come together.
Yes, thank you! The kitchen is hopefully being fitted next week (The original plan was for it to be fitted whilst we were away, but it turned out the whole house needed rewiring....!)