• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

It's that time of year- Remembrance Services overseas

FionainKL

Happily Guiding with BGIFC
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Does anyone do them?

We've been invited to attend the Remembrance Service at the National monument. It's organised by the Britsih High Commission, but open to all and they have reading from Christian, Hindu and Muslim representatives.

My showing was pitiful last year (7 out of 160 -odd in our District, and three of those were my dds!)

I'm going to push it a bit more this year!

sari

pre-warranted GiC
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I go...out of respect to the people who died in war and peace in acts of violence, and the men.and women who defended our freedoms. I ask the girls to.come ( Brown.Owl tells them they have to come....) I think it should be up to the individual girl.

yorkie67

Div CA, GIC G, GIC R
GuiderPlus
We were approached by the British Legion and the British High Commission in Brussels and they organised it and just had the guides, scouts association take part (no parade) and it was superb as we had the Belgian people too, my husband is in the armed forces so he used to volunteer to lay the wreath on behalf of the RAF rather than turning up in his scout leader uniform!

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
Hope you go Fiona and can you remember my Uncle Charlie please? He died somewhere out there in WW2 - exact location unknown.

kathrynha

Veteran (100+ posts)
We're in Germany - so it's a bit of a sensitive topic here.
Would of thought the army bases would do something.

Something remembering those that have died serving 'their 'country, and also the innocent civilian deaths might be more appropriate than remembering just the British war dead

FionainKL

Happily Guiding with BGIFC
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Cazbly said:
Hope you go Fiona and can you remember my Uncle Charlie please? He died somewhere out there in WW2 - exact location unknown.
I certainly will do Caz.
My grandfather died on a ship off Malaya as well while my gran was pregnant with my mum. Again, exact location unknown, we obviously never knew him and my mum was brought up by a fantastic step father, who was my grandpa, but my real grandfather is always in my thoughts on remembrance Sunday

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
I certainly will do Caz.
My grandfather died on a ship off Malaya as well while my gran was pregnant with my mum. Again, exact location unknown, we obviously never knew him and my mum was brought up by a fantastic step father, who was my grandpa, but my real grandfather is always in my thoughts on remembrance Sunday
Thank you. It might sound soft, don't care, but it means a lot to the older people in the family - the oldest of whom have never had the opportunity to travel to the Malaysian area and always feel a sadness that Uncle Charlie's true last resting place is never likely to be known.
And I will remember your grandfather when the Kohima epitaph is read at our service - I feel that one has such links with those who died in the middle and far East.

exile

Veteran (100+ posts)
Would of thought the army bases would do something.

Something remembering those that have died serving 'their 'country, and also the innocent civilian deaths might be more appropriate than remembering just the British war dead
Not all German BGIFC units are near army bases........ Juliee, I can see it being a tough one for you. something on Peace and Reconciliation?

dinoprincesschar

Veteran (100+ posts)
I always go, always have since being a brownie. It's the only church service i go to each year (i'm not sure what my religious beliefs are tbh, even now).
I'm a bit disappointed that in the town I guide in at present, there has never been any invite to the units etc, so we just turn up and assume they'll let us in somewhere. In my previous village, there's always a practice on the saturday for flagbearers etc, and we get formal invite letters which i think is nice. I really wanted to get someone in to my guides this year to spread some knowledge about it to the girls, but i don't know who to contact there.

clairebear

Brownie Leader and DC
I always go, always have since being a brownie. It's the only church service i go to each year (i'm not sure what my religious beliefs are tbh, even now).
I'm a bit disappointed that in the town I guide in at present, there has never been any invite to the units etc, so we just turn up and assume they'll let us in somewhere. In my previous village, there's always a practice on the saturday for flagbearers etc, and we get formal invite letters which i think is nice. I really wanted to get someone in to my guides this year to spread some knowledge about it to the girls, but i don't know who to contact there.
You could try one of the addresses on the relevant county page? http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/counties/shropshire/contact-us