• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Just Joined

Hi everybody, I've just joined. I've been a unit helper for 15 years and have been asked if I would like to take over another pack as leader. Wondering what to do?

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hello and welcome! This site is generally very friendly and everyone is happy to answer any and all questions!

Unit Helpers are a very valuable asset to units, but depending on how “involved” you’ve been it can be a bit of a step up between being a UH to As Leader let alone to running a unit. This isn’t to suggest that you aren’t capable, how comfortable do you feel with this proposal? Does it feel like a natural move or have you been put on the spot? Would doing your ALQ with your current unit then looking to move across be an option?

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
Welcome! We can't make the decision go you but you will find ideas, support, encouragement and - when you need to vent - shoulders here!

Thanks. Reading as much as I can at the moment. I've been to visit the group and take part in activities with the girls who are all lovely. Their meetings don't have a beginning or end or any sort of structure, they just seem to drift in and out and between activities. Just looking at ideas for gathering together at beginning and end. They also don't have sixes or call leaders Brown Owl, etc, or have uniforms is this usual. I'm looking at giving the girls choices over the next few months and gradually introducing some Brownie traditions. Would like some ideas of how other units do this so I can offer the girls choice over what they do and how they do it.

Welcome in! If you are having fun then go for it.
Thanks. Reading as much as I can at the moment. I've been to visit the group and take part in activities with the girls who are all lovely. Their meetings don't have a beginning or end or any sort of structure, they just seem to drift in and out and between activities. Just looking at ideas for gathering together at beginning and end. They also don't have sixes or call leaders Brown Owl, etc, or have uniforms is this usual. I'm looking at giving the girls choices over the next few months and gradually introducing some Brownie traditions. Would like some ideas of how other units do this so I can offer the girls choice over what they do and how they do it.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/glob...me-and-activities/guidance-notes-brownies.pdf

You might find the above document useful for what’s typical of a unit and what’s expected and what is optional. :)

Unless the unit is very small they should have sixes, and they should each have at least one piece of official uniform (there are grants available to help with this). Something that can be nice when introducing sixes in a unit for the first time is to let girls vote on which names they like.

Owl names and any other themed/ nicknames are entirely optional, but many volunteers for younger sections prefer it as it’s a bit more authoritative than their first name but not as formal/school like as being called Mrs/Miss/Ms/Mx/Dr Surname.

Start and end. To start some like to sing a song or have a small ritual, this tends to vary a lot between units. We sing a newer version of We’re Brownie Guides sometimes. To end Brownie Bells is quite popular, and different units will have slightly differing actions and endings; shouting goodnight, spelling goodnight, each of the leaders wishing the girls goodnight in turn, passing a squeeze or Brownie smile…you can try out different things and then see what ends up feeling natural.

https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/glob...me-and-activities/guidance-notes-brownies.pdf

You might find the above document useful for what’s typical of a unit and what’s expected and what is optional. :)

Unless the unit is very small they should have sixes, and they should each have at least one piece of official uniform (there are grants available to help with this). Something that can be nice when introducing sixes in a unit for the first time is to let girls vote on which names they like.

Owl names and any other themed/ nicknames are entirely optional, but many volunteers for younger sections prefer it as it’s a bit more authoritative than their first name but not as formal/school like as being called Mrs/Miss/Ms/Mx/Dr Surname.

Start and end. To start some like to sing a song or have a small ritual, this tends to vary a lot between units. We sing a newer version of We’re Brownie Guides sometimes. To end Brownie Bells is quite popular, and different units will have slightly differing actions and endings; shouting goodnight, spelling goodnight, each of the leaders wishing the girls goodnight in turn, passing a squeeze or Brownie smile…you can try out different things and then see what ends up feeling natural.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have accepted the offer to take over the Brownie pack after their Easter break, their Rainbow group has already been closed and the girls split up and introduced into other groups. The Brownies that I have been helping at are very traditional and structured, I don't think the girls at my new pack will take to that amount of structure and any changes need to be made at their pace.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Hi Spike,
Lots of help available. I have experience in both starting Brownies from scratch and the feeling obliged to take over a unit. If I can help at all please drop me a message :)

As BadgeMad4 says, they ought to have at least 1 piece of uniform, and unless very small they should be in sixes (although they may not have 6 in!). We don't use names at my current unit which is a new one one me as I've always had a Brownie name before!