• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Meeting Ideas

chattychik

Veteran (100+ posts)
Could you please let me have your ideas for meetings inside & out?? Am trying to get the girls started with suggestions for them to go on & plan themselves. Old & new ideas would be a brilliant help. Have also started talking about the new programme. Thank you for reading

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
ah, didn't notice the 'sub section' sorry - was thinking could be rainbows, brownies, guides...

outside a good one is a small group type challenge to take 'photo evidence' on their phones of a list of challenge items such as something round, something red, number 123, toy, animal, aerial, caravan... vary the list depending on what you'd like to include

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I would let them choose from a selection of UMA cards to begin with - it will give them a range of ideas, with all the info on equipment, duration etc.

nutty_angel

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
we have lots of stuff but last term I was trying to get a bit of 'life skills' in so did some sewing (made wheatbags) with sewing machine - they loved this as apperntly they don't learn that in school anymore - and some car maintance - oil check, changing a tire etc - on my car.
I gave them a quick quiz to gauge what they already knew and skills they wanted to learn first.
x

yorkie

Veteran (100+ posts)
I too am looking for ideas. i introduced my lot to the new programme, they could only find two UMA's they were interested in and one Skill builders. They have completed the skill builder. My assistant Guider made sure they did it properly but there verdict was that it was boring and repetitive, too much like school and they don't want to do anymore. I am at a loss what to do, they have come up with some suggestions that have nothing to do with the new programme. Do I run with these and try to add things occasionally. I have never had this problem with this group before. To be fair to them they have been up for everything we have done, have made lots of suggestions for programme material, been on all our residentials, outings and are young leaders with Rainbows, Brownies and Guides. I don't want to lose them as potentially they will be around for another 3 years until they are off to Uni. Can some one suggest a few fun things your Unit has had success with.

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
I too am looking for ideas. i introduced my lot to the new programme, they could only find two UMA's they were interested in and one Skill builders. They have completed the skill builder. My assistant Guider made sure they did it properly but there verdict was that it was boring and repetitive, too much like school and they don't want to do anymore. I am at a loss what to do, they have come up with some suggestions that have nothing to do with the new programme. Do I run with these and try to add things occasionally. I have never had this problem with this group before. To be fair to them they have been up for everything we have done, have made lots of suggestions for programme material, been on all our residentials, outings and are young leaders with Rainbows, Brownies and Guides. I don't want to lose them as potentially they will be around for another 3 years until they are off to Uni. Can some one suggest a few fun things your Unit has had success with.
What facilities do you have, how long are your meetings, and which Skills Builders have they access to?

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
You don't need to fully introduce the new programme until July of next year, so if they're negative just now, I'd back away from it for the moment and mainly do other things for a few months.

At the same time, I'd look through the cards yourself, and pick out a few activities that look fun on their own merits, UMAs or Skill Builder clauses. Note down the details you need to run them, and put the cards away. Then slip them occasionally into the programme, with no fanfare. Can be a short game, a craft, a challenge - whatever - unknown to them you can keep records of who has done what. Cherry picking different UMA and Skill Builder activities. Then in a year or two's time, if it hasn't already come up in conversation, you can let them see what they've got done unwittingly, and what they could put into the programme in order to finish off some of the Skill Builders they have started, or get that last hour or two of UMAs on a particular theme. Rangers have up to 4 years to clock up 6 Skill Builders, and 30 hours of UMAs, not counting the transition options available to existing Rangers, so it doesn't all have to be done in the first term or year, it can be spread through the programme.