• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

My Look Wider

L

Lissi-Jayne

Hello,
I am thinking of doing the Look Wider challenge.
I have try to decide before I start the basics of what I'll be doing.
Do I need to tell anyone about me starting it? I can't go to Rangers because of work but I am in touch with the nearest one. I am currently a LIT at Guides.

Here's what I have planned so far:

Community Action
Phase 1 –
• Sort and donate clothes to local charity shop
• Litter pick
• Learn about political parties and vote in election

Phase 2 – Raise profile of guiding in local area

Phase 3 – V Inspired Award

Creativity
Phase 1 –
• Learn to tie dye
• Local photo quiz
• Self portrait using new medium

Phase 2 – Tie dye things and sell them

Phase 3 – Complete a Wreck This Journal/Anti-Journal

Fit for Life
Phase 1 –
• Yoga
• Dancercise/Zumba
• Cook new healthy meal

Phase 2 – Recipe book of healthy meals

Phase 3 – Make up a dance show for Brownies to learn and perform (have done similar in past with my mums brownies)

Independent Living
Phase 1 –
• Laundry skills
• Budget first month for moving out
• Clean a toilet (21 and I never have...)

Phase 2 – ???

Phase 3 – ???

International
Phase 1 –
• Learn some basic French (Roverway is in France next year)
• Plan holiday
• Celebrate festival from another country

Phase 2 – Fundraise for Roverway

Phase 3 – Roverway 2016

Leadership
Phase 1 –
• Run a Guide meeting
• Organise family day out
• ‘If you ruled the world what would you do?’ activity at Guides

Phase 2 – Help run Guide camp (April 2015 unit camp)

Phase 3 – Adult Leadership Qualification

Out of Doors
Phase 1 –
• Visit national park
• Birdwatching
• Geocaching

Phase 2 – Wellies and Wristbands 2015

Phase 3 – Some sort of Camping License

Personal Values
Phase 1 –
• What do I want to accomplish from Guiding? 1, 2, 5, 10 years on?
• Collage about me or inspirational quotes
• Make promise

Phase 2 – Family tree (draw out and extra research)

Phase 3 – Autobiography

I tried to pick things that I think will be a challenge to me and that I have never done or haven't done in a very long time.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
You don't have to register to do it, and you can use things you've done in the past (not before age 14) there's no time limit apart from 26th birthfay

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
My only query would be your FFL P3 - how much of a challenge is that to you if you've done it before?

IL P2 & P3... If the budget for moving out is because you actually are going to be moving out then I would have thought this would probably provide some things you could use here, depending on what your plans are...

L

Lissi-Jayne

My only query would be your FFL P3 - how much of a challenge is that to you if you've done it before?

IL P2 & P3... If the budget for moving out is because you actually are going to be moving out then I would have thought this would probably provide some things you could use here, depending on what your plans are...
Yeh wasn't sure if that is going to be my FFL phase 3. And I have written plays for brownies and they performed them at Christmas not anything physical and this was about 5 year ago though.

And at the moment I have no plans for moving out but I have thought about it. Don't really know what else to do though as I hate driving and its expensive so that's out of the question even though it seems loads do that for it.

L

Lissi-Jayne

I only asked cause there's 100 and 200, I found 50 was too simple for me as I was running 3 a week and going on pack hol etc
I only am able to do Guides because of work and that's only 2 hours a week term time. I am doing two camps this year but 50 would still take me quite a few months to do I think.

And I don't want to backdate anything just because I want to take pictures and have lots of evidence of everything I do :)

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
Yeh wasn't sure if that is going to be my FFL phase 3. And I have written plays for brownies and they performed them at Christmas not anything physical and this was about 5 year ago though.

And at the moment I have no plans for moving out but I have thought about it. Don't really know what else to do though as I hate driving and its expensive so that's out of the question even though it seems loads do that for it.
I don't have access to my LW records right now, and I don't remember exactly as it was quite a while ago I did most of it. I think I included searching for my first part time job, Preparing for and attending my first interviews (and ultimately securing my first PT job). I think all of that together I had as a phase 2. I think I would have been 17 at the time. (It was all brand new and scary to me at the time, I was not very confident and had never had any kind of job).

I have a feeling my phase 3 for IL was researching, planning and undertaking my first solo overseas independent travelling. This included attending a travel safety course. The trip was 3 weeks solo in South America at 19. Obviously this had an element of overlap with international octant (but there will be overlap on many things) but the focus and challenge of this for me was finding out everything I needed to consider and do and prepare in advance, getting to grips with the practicalities involved in planning independent travelling (as opposed to using a travel agent, joining a tour, or going on a guiding trip), preparing myself and then putting it all into practice. The international aspect wasn't the main thing for me as I had travelled to Argentina with my mum a couple of years before and had lots of international focused activities earlier in my teens (it was the first octant I finished) - it was doing it independently that was my challenge.

I know lots of people also use things related to their professional/career development or academic development (eg researching and choosing a degree and university, assessing gaps in their 'soft skills' relevant to their job and then building them up).

There are also things related to acquiring skills you may need to live independently - eg attending a plumbing, DIY or car maintenance course. Or things along that theme depending on what your personal starting point is.

There may not be anything here you could use exactly, but these examples may give you some idea of lines of thought to explore or things you could adapt to suit your own personal circumstances. Eg taking the travelling example, it may be equally challenging and involved for you to independently undertake a city break weekend in Europe for the first time (although obviously just booking a package deal may well lack the sufficient level of challenge, learning, prep, hours etc but you get the idea of how you could adapt things.)

As another thought, you could also extend the 'one month's budget for moving out' to research in more depth all the things you would need to do in finding somewhere to live (eg renting considerations vs buying, mortgages, insurance, paying bills, taking meter readings when you move in, etc) and do once you were living independently. I've seen people use buying their first house or renting their first flat before, because there is an awful lot to learn and get to grips with. You could then find something else for your third phase 1 as there are lots of little things that would be easier to find than it is for the higher phases (eg a taster session on car maintenance - I did this at an innovate and I know it was one activity at a senior section day my county ran).

L

Lissi-Jayne

Oh wow thanks for your long in depth reply :)
I have already been away by myself to an international camp. But I suppose it didn't take to much planning.
A DIY or car maintenance course sounds good but I don't think I'd be able to attend one as I work full time.
I suppose I could go more in to depth over moving out.

I think with the IL section I might just leave it and come back to it at the end of everything else :)

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
Oh wow thanks for your long in depth reply :)
I have already been away by myself to an international camp. But I suppose it didn't take to much planning.
A DIY or car maintenance course sounds good but I don't think I'd be able to attend one as I work full time.
I suppose I could go more in to depth over moving out.

I think with the IL section I might just leave it and come back to it at the end of everything else :)
No worries. You might be surprised about courses, adult ed programmes are usually aimed to fit around as many people as possible so will have daytime, evening, weekend options. Worth starting to look around (you may find inspiration in something else!)

Sometimes the best ideas for LW come to you when you're working on something else, flow naturally from other activities, or just by chance... You don't need to plan it all now. :)

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
This isn't a specific response to your OP, but these are a load of ideas I came up with for my ranger unit around this time last year. I hope some of these inspire you!

Creativity
• Sketch a budding flower
• Go old school and draw a pavement mural using chalk. Make sure to ask permission first, and photograph it when you’re done. Hello cover photo!
• Become the next Internet sensation, but less Rebecca Black… Practice your covers (or write your own song!) and upload one to Youtube

Fit For Life
• Summer term means sports day is looming, so make your House proud and start regularly training for your event – or start your couch to 5k plan. You could even take on a fun run if you’re feeling enthused!
• Play Ultimate Frisbee.
• Take a yoga class.

International
• Dreaming of a holiday in the sun? Grab some brochures and plan your dream holiday abroad, first with unlimited cash and then on a budget!
• Celebrate International Women’s Day
• Get Gangnam Style! That’s right, if you thought that was just a funny word, go and learn about South Korea.

Out of Doors
• Go camping at the Underage Festival, held in the UK in August every year, and learn to appreciate the British Summer come rain or shine!
• Surf’s Up! Get yourself to Swansea and catch some waves
• Commandeer your family’s BBQ and make some great grilled grub.

Personal Values
• The Nobel Prize Nominations are out! Make a Hall of Fame of winners or nominees that have inspired you and why they have – perhaps you could choose all the female recipients, recipients in a field of interest to you, or even all the Brits!
• Listen to 20 songs from a genre you don’t usually listen to.
• Write a list of things you wish you knew last year - or in the words of Pink, a conversation with your 13-year-old self. It could be funny, inspirational or just honest advice, but make it truthful and reflective of your experiences since then.
• Have a techno detox. That’s no mobiles, internet, Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, game consoles, radio or TV for 24 hours.

Leadership
• Campfires are an important part of any summer camp, so lead one!
• Or create or update a campfire songbook – how many verses of ‘You’ll Never Get To Heaven”?

Community Action
• Raise money for Comic Relief
• Donate a load of winter clothes to a charity shop of your choice
• Organise an Easter Egg Hunt for Rainbows, Brownies or a church group.

Independent Living
• Become a fashion blogger and review your make up. You could score it out of 10, giving points for value for money, effectiveness, how long it lasts and how easy it is to use. You could also score the packaging.
• New Dragon’s Den means only one thing: ripping apart people’s business plans from your sofa. Think of a small business idea and write a plan that would make even Deborah proud.
• Write a killer CV to help you bag a summer job - or the job of your dreams!

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
Well while I'm here, thought I'd post some ideas for Phase 1 and 2! I know you're all sorted but you might change your mind ;)

Creativity
Try glass or silk painting
Write a comedic monologue
Knit something useful
Start a camp blanket
Go all Bake Off and develop your baking
Start a blog
Make or customise some clothes (The Great British Sewing Bee has loads of resources)
Take part in a play
Join a glee club
Illustrate a children's book

Community Action
Volunteer at the library
Help at a primary school by listening to kids read
Start (or help with) your school/uni's recycling scheme
Help at a sunday school
Make quilt squares for a blanket (or hats for innocent smoothies)
Help at a local hospice

Fit For Life
Go gluten free/dairy free/vegan/raw for a week
Create a food diary
Make a cookbook for people with common allergies
Reach orange level on Nike Running
Complete a first aid qualification
Do a fun run or a half marathon
Make an anti smoking campaign
Watch Culture High on Netflix and discuss
Complete Me in Mind
Go hiking
Walk everywhere for a week

Independent Living
Look at university courses - don't limit yourself to the UK!
Write a CV or personal statement
Plan (and go!) to the nearest Brook/GUM clinic
Write a dummy's guide to politics
Join the debate club
Pass your driving theory test
Redecorate your room
Arrange some work experience

Out of Doors
Run the programme for camp
Watch an entire series of Springwatch
Create a list of fun outdoor activities for kids (and try them all!)
Identify several types of plants, and present this using rubbings, pressed flowers and sketches
Get your SS camp permit
Care for a live herb
Help at a farm
Start a bird watching log
Clean out a pond
Learn to ski