• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Name The Senior Section Centenary

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
As the name suggests, posting here in case anyone hasn't seen this on Twitter or via YeSS.

TSS is 100 in 2016. Such a vast section and often forgotten, now is our chance to mark our birthday, after gatecrashing the guide and brownie centenary and to a lesser extent rainbows 25th.

GG say we need a name, and are appealing to TSS members with suggestions to let them know here:http://new.girlguiding.org.uk/lates...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
You only have until Friday (13th)!

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
It can't be longer than 3 words, so GGUK have to decide if the 'The' is that important - I was told off recently for saying "senior section" instead of "the senior section"!
Anyway, so 3 words, two of which are senior section presumably... So I'll bet on sibilance AND a bit of naff rhyming and back
"Senior section celebration"

growlywench

Veteran (100+ posts)
It can't be longer than 3 words, so GGUK have to decide if the 'The' is that important - I was told off recently for saying "senior section" instead of "the senior section"!
Anyway, so 3 words, two of which are senior section presumably... So I'll bet on sibilance AND a bit of naff rhyming and back
"Senior section celebration"
Oh I'd say that's worth a punt on!

I'm afraid it does bug me rather when the same people derail facebook threads by whining that it shouldn't be called SS because of the war connotations. In context, on a guiding page, guess what, we all know what the user means! And unless we can claim the SS tag for something positive, it remains a Nazi victory. Personally, I just think TSS sounds ridiculous, defies the natural rules of grammar and never fails to make me think of Toxic Shock Syndrome.

How about "Senior Section Shock!" for the event?!

Oh I'd say that's worth a punt on!

I'm afraid it does bug me rather when the same people derail facebook threads by whining that it shouldn't be called SS because of the war connotations. In context, on a guiding page, guess what, we all know what the user means! And unless we can claim the SS tag for something positive, it remains a Nazi victory. Personally, I just think TSS sounds ridiculous, defies the natural rules of grammar and never fails to make me think of Toxic Shock Syndrome.

How about "Senior Section Shock!" for the event?!
Really? Do you have a mother who has numbers tattooed on her arm and winces visibly every time someone says 'SS'? It's fine for you to be blasé and make a joke of it and moan how much it annoy you but do you actually realise how much it hurts, yes hurts actually other people? Do you know how much it affects a huge amount of people? You may think the war a long time ago and has no relevance now but to a great many people it means they have no families, like mine my mother was the only survivor of a large family, my daughter aged 30 and son aged 37 have grown up with no aunts, no uncles, no grandparents, I had no cousins, no grandparents, no aunts, uncles etc either, it affects many generations. Do you think we care about whether using SS gives the Nazis a victory, they took my family, the least we can do is make sure that SS disappears for ever.
It's just as easy to say senior Section, it doesn't have to be TSS if that offends you.

I'm sorry for the rant but really you don't understand how truly hurtful it is to see people use SS so easily.

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
SS is also the abbreviation for Saints, and is used in school names. It's also the South Sudan web domain, so I don't think it that unreasonable for anyone to question attempts to ban use of those two letters together. Nobody stopped channel 4 from casually bandying around the T4 label for years.

growlywench

Veteran (100+ posts)
I hate to say this, but Senior Section was known SS for a very long time prior to Girlguiding having a politically correct phase and insisting on the T. You don't know me, or my family history, or where I came from and my family's experiences with the war, and I don't feel the need to enlighten you.

No, there's no way I'd be rude enough to mention Senior Section by that abbreviation directly to your mother, or indeed any of those remaining of her generation, but neither do I feel the need to correct those who use it on a guiding page, where the context is relevant. We are 70 years from the Liberation this year, times and usages change. Because of my personal history, SS to me will always mean the Nazis, but it will also mean Senior Section.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Really? Do you have a mother who has numbers tattooed on her arm and winces visibly every time someone says 'SS'? It's fine for you to be blasé and make a joke of it and moan how much it annoy you but do you actually realise how much it hurts, yes hurts actually other people? Do you know how much it affects a huge amount of people? You may think the war a long time ago and has no relevance now but to a great many people it means they have no families, like mine my mother was the only survivor of a large family, my daughter aged 30 and son aged 37 have grown up with no aunts, no uncles, no grandparents, I had no cousins, no grandparents, no aunts, uncles etc either, it affects many generations. Do you think we care about whether using SS gives the Nazis a victory, they took my family, the least we can do is make sure that SS disappears for ever.
It's just as easy to say senior Section, it doesn't have to be TSS if that offends you.

I'm sorry for the rant but really you don't understand how truly hurtful it is to see people use SS so easily.
I understand that for those personally affected, some words/terms can hurt. I see so many people casually using 'Hun' when they actually mean to use 'honey' as a term of affection. And I squirm every time. Quite apart from misunderstanding why they choose to mis-spell the word, I find the casual use of such a racist term uncomfortable and I would love to do anything feasible to persuade them to use 'honey' or 'hon', if they feel a need to use the term at all.

But - their use is an innocent one, and maybe if 'hun' is used enough as a term of affection, the racist use will finally die out and be forgotten, and a negative will turn into a positive.

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
I wonder how that short list was drawn up? It seems that one is the obvious winner, as it is the only idea that actually has the section name in it! But voted regardless.

EmStar

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I wonder how that short list was drawn up? It seems that one is the obvious winner, as it is the only idea that actually has the section name in it! But voted regardless.
It says any of the names will be used with the strap line '100 Years of The Senior Section' so I think they'll make sure the section name is on stuff (and the badges will probably be huge!)

-Katie-

Regular (50+ posts)
Voted, thank you for posting the link.

I hope it says 1916 to 2016 or something like that, as well as the strapline, as it's nice to have the date of the centenary on a badge as well.

Hilary

Guide Guider and District Commissioner
GuiderPlus
I'm too old to vote but if I could it would be The Big Bash (sorry campbeanz!) only because The Senior Section is such as awful name.

senry

Veteran (100+ posts)
I do like the name! Only thing is I've started shorting it to TSSS! hopefully people wont think its a typo!!