• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

New Anniversary badges

Ali Brown Owl

Beginner (10+ posts)
Hi, what are people doing about handing out anniversary badges in the transition to the new programme - going for it at the start of each term as the girls earn the next one? I don't want to play catch up and give everyone a badge at the start of this year, and somehow it seems to make more sense to me to give things like this out at the end of term not the beginning......

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I'm going to give whichever badge they're due at the start of this term to "launch" the new programme and give most something to go home with...whether that is 1, 2, 3, or 4 years. Not planning on back dating them.

Going forward, I'll probably update when I give out most other badges at the end of term. Not sure yet.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
I've got my first one year badge at the ready to award middle of september. Starting straight away.

For brownies and guides the units could decide to either
(a) just award the 'next' award when due from a particular cut off date or
(b) quickly go through and give out the highest/last anniversary award for existing girls and then go from there? or
(c) if they have the funds, award all back anniversary badges, which for some brownies/guides could be several? but consider that rainbows might get a 1 or 1 and 2, but they wouldn't this on a brownie uniform? brownies might get 1, 2, 3 or even 4 and 5 but wouldn't wear them on guide uniform? so think option a or b is probably best, as agree with browniebeth that not necessary to 'back date' them but option b of giving girls that have been in guiding longer than a year a badge will definitely enthuse them towards new programme and possibly encourage badge book purchase and interest badge take up

Last edited:

Ali Brown Owl

Beginner (10+ posts)
Thanks for your thoughts - I really like the idea of giving out the latest anniversary badges as part of our 'Big Bang' adoption of the new programme, and then as and when the next one is earned give those out. We've always done birthday badges, but I'm going to stop those (hopefully can swap my remaining stock at the Guide shop....)

Squirrel-Nutkin

there is a guiding buy sell and swop group and leaders are reviewing what badges they still need/selling off excess stock and leaders are also buying up stocks of badges that they have worked out they are going to need over the coming year. Might be worth signing up if you arn't already as for some of the official badges that form part of the transition period may even go 'out of stock' at some point in trading, so swopping/buying off other units/depots around country might make sense.

turnip

Veteran (100+ posts)
I was looking at my Guides “time in Guiding” and its probably me not adding them properly but it only shows their time in Guides, even for girls that I know were rainbows and brownies, except for one girl. I didn’t do anything different when I added her so I don’t know what I’m doing wrong! It’s possible that the others had a break between brownies and Guides, I don’t know if that would reset their time counter?

JJJJ1980

Brownie Leader x 3
I was looking at my Guides “time in Guiding” and its probably me not adding them properly but it only shows their time in Guides, even for girls that I know were rainbows and brownies, except for one girl. I didn’t do anything different when I added her so I don’t know what I’m doing wrong! It’s possible that the others had a break between brownies and Guides, I don’t know if that would reset their time counter?
Were they transferred up from Brownies or did you add them as new girls? If you look under “edit individual” you will be able to see their role history. If anything is missing you can call hq and they will merge the records.

turnip

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think I added them as new unfortunately :( I couldn’t find them when I searched for them. It never made much difference before :(

Burghilly

Veteran (100+ posts)
I was going to go by their time in Guiding and give them the most recent badge e.g. if they started as Rainbow age 5 and are now with me as Guide age 12 I'm going to give them a 7 year badge .

I won't be backdating them as the new programme didn't officially start till July.

One question though - I have at least 1 girl who did Rainbows, didn't do Brownies but has now been a Guide for 2 year. I presume you only count years active guiding for the anniversary badge ?

Squirrel-Nutkin

yes active years, so one that did 2 years rainbows, no brownies and now in guides will be possibly starting on their 2nd/3rd year depending on when in year etc and whether it was a full 2 years at rainbows

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I was going to go by their time in Guiding and give them the most recent badge e.g. if they started as Rainbow age 5 and are now with me as Guide age 12 I'm going to give them a 7 year badge .

I won't be backdating them as the new programme didn't officially start till July.

One question though - I have at least 1 girl who did Rainbows, didn't do Brownies but has now been a Guide for 2 year. I presume you only count years active guiding for the anniversary badge ?
You wouldn't normally have to calculate it - there is now a record on GO for the anniversary badges, so it should have recorded the time she was active in Guiding, not including the gap.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
You wouldn't normally have to calculate it - there is now a record on GO for the anniversary badges, so it should have recorded the time she was active in Guiding, not including the gap.
As long as her record was reactivated and not had a seperate entry created!

caroline68

Regular (50+ posts)
We take in our rainbows at the start of each term, so anniversaries will occur roughly at the start of a term (easter moving excepted, but probably close enough!) so for the few who joined last September, I will give their one year at the start of term and introduce the new programme as browniebeth said above, then it make sense to me to award at the start of each term any more that become due.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
Okay, so i've been thinking, i'm going to give out badges in September, so they all have the correct current badge and then from January i'll have tp start buying new ones to keep them 'up to date'

My thought was to give them out the last week of term/half term before they 'started (So if they started in Jan, give them out at Christmas etc) but what are people doing about those girls who are moving up? Should it be the responsibility of the section they're coming from, or of the section they move to?

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
Also, whos responsibility will Young Leaders be if they don't attend a Ranger Group? Would they miss out, or will it be expected that the group they volunteer with will provide them (I mean, they're hardly overly expensive items, but I was jsut thinking)

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I'm thinking that they should be the responsibility of the unit the unit that they are moving to, so a Brownie with an anniversary in September joins Guides after the summer will get the appropriate badge with Guides in Sept not from Brownies in July.

Likewise girls who are just YL's will get them from the unit they are working with. The confusion will be when they are Rangers as well, that would be a matter for local agreement. ( My thought would be with Rangers as they are receiving subs from the girl to cover such things, though I know SS units that insist that the others pay the census 'as they are getting the benefit of their leadership' ..tch)

Squirrel-Nutkin

Also, whos responsibility will Young Leaders be if they don't attend a Ranger Group? Would they miss out, or will it be expected that the group they volunteer with will provide them (I mean, they're hardly overly expensive items, but I was jsut thinking)
that is a really good point, I guess it might depend on whether they are a ranger too [bit like census is done at ranger level if they are ranger and YL too] but the important bit is that they don't loose out if they arn't part of rangers.

JJJJ1980

Brownie Leader x 3
that is a really good point, I guess it might depend on whether they are a ranger too [bit like census is done at ranger level if they are ranger and YL too] but the important bit is that they don't loose out if they arn't part of rangers.
How do we find out what they are due as they don’t come up on our young members list?

Hi, what are people doing about handing out anniversary badges in the transition to the new programme - going for it at the start of each term as the girls earn the next one? I don't want to play catch up and give everyone a badge at the start of this year, and somehow it seems to make more sense to me to give things like this out at the end of term not the beginning......