• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

New FAQs about the new Guide section uniform

Barmey-cat

Beginner (10+ posts)
From the comments I heard from someone on the Exec who had seen the samples, I'm expecting a very mixed reaction. (I'm still no wiser on the girls consulted!) There was mention of dropped jaws amount the committee viewing it, plaid with lilac, and skirts! It may turn out completely different, but I got the impression that her guides were not going to be ecstatic!

JeanGenie

Guide Leader, County Adviser & Div Comm
GuiderPlus
I'd love it if we wearing neckerchief's became required again (which can make anything look uniform and Guiding and tie a mix of tops together), but I know opinion will be divided on that one.

But at long last! it's 'UNIFORM' again!!! :D
Definitely - we have neckers and it makes a big difference to how the group look when out and about, even with the mix of tops, etc.

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
From the comments I heard from someone on the Exec who had seen the samples, I'm expecting a very mixed reaction. (I'm still no wiser on the girls consulted!) There was mention of dropped jaws amount the committee viewing it, plaid with lilac, and skirts! It may turn out completely different, but I got the impression that her guides were not going to be ecstatic!
That brief description immediately puts me in mind of a private school uniform! Though I'm sure it's not. I would assume the point of having such samples is that feedback can be further given and things changed - because whatever's drawn up on paper will look different once it's made up into a garment to some degree (just look at Jeff Banks original design sketches in the 'Something for the Girls' book and what was eventually made). So I'm going to refrain from taking that impression as being set in stone just yet! :p

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
All independent schools I know of have very smart uniform and students always look tidy and respectable so I am looking forward to it :)
We have a mixture of school here, up till last year both/all wore polo shirts and jumpers now the 2 closest have changed 1last year going down the shirts/blouses ties blazers etc, looking very smart, the other just announced the change for summer of blue polo shirts (were all white before) with hoodies, could not believe the difference, but must have been decided as smart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shazzabat

Nanny Ogg
GuiderPlus
Good grief that sounds like what the girls are wearing in all our local schools in Walsall. Some are plaid skirts with black socks, lilac tops, others it's white socks and white shirts. Awful.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
At the moment any style of uniform is just speculation/from tiny bits of information that people have heard- there's no point getting worked up about what it may or may not look like because at the moment we just don't know!

People moan about the old uniform and people are already moaning about what the new uniform could look like...

Let's just wait until the new uniform is released and then let the girls have their opinion on it... after all, it's their section and they need to be comfortable with it.

shazzabat

Nanny Ogg
GuiderPlus
Personally, the Scouts win hands down on smart. A simple one colour shirt that all wear at the same time. Neckers just tie in the Group and enables leaders to spot their kids a mile away.

I wore the shirt and navy skirt. There was nothing wrong with it as it looked extremely smart no matter what occasion - although my girls looked at my photos and commented about how short the skirt was!

It's nice that the girls can dress down during a meeting but please, please, please let's have fewer choices of clobber. One colour, two designs would make much more sense.

ElfOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
tbh, I would be surpried if skirts were brought back unless it is an additional optiom to trousers (rather then instead of). I hope that whatever they introduce is in addition to what is currently available. My guides like the stripey top and all want to look the same. NOw we have our uniot neckers, they will look very smart. As it is a very young unit (the oldest is only 11), any drastic changes wil mean the unit looks 'messy' until the youngest (just 10 and up from Brownies) leaves.

I am not speculting on what the changes will be, but interested to see.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Personally, the Scouts win hands down on smart. A simple one colour shirt that all wear at the same time. Neckers just tie in the Group and enables leaders to spot their kids a mile away.

I wore the shirt and navy skirt. There was nothing wrong with it as it looked extremely smart no matter what occasion - although my girls looked at my photos and commented about how short the skirt was!

It's nice that the girls can dress down during a meeting but please, please, please let's have fewer choices of clobber. One colour, two designs would make much more sense.
I find the Scout uniform only looks smart if they wear it smartly. I recently had a Scout at the door asking for Jumble for their jumble sale. As I took in the youth with the crumpled, stained and ripped shirt which was hanging half out of the orange jeans as he mumbled "got stuff for a Scout jumble sale?" I saw quite plainly that it isn't what the uniform consists of that decides whether or not it is smart, but how it is worn.

We do not know what the new options will be, so there's little point in guessing, speculating or running down the current options. In some units, those who speak up express support for uniformity, in some the girls express their desire to have a choice.

Having been there, I found that a shirt and navy skirt was not terribly practical for tent pitching, water activities, hillwalking and any number of other activities - and given that my units aren't involved in any parades, it would be hard to justify a uniform which was not practical for our active outdoor activities. But other units seem to have formal parades regularly, even as often as monthly - perhaps they could justify a formal uniform option to parents. And that's the very reason why whatever is chosen will not suit all - no matter what it is!

Given that's the case - let's wait and see, rather than trying stabs in the dark.

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
At the moment any style of uniform is just speculation/from tiny bits of information that people have heard- there's no point getting worked up about what it may or may not look like because at the moment we just don't know!

People moan about the old uniform and people are already moaning about what the new uniform could look like...

Let's just wait until the new uniform is released and then let the girls have their opinion on it... after all, it's their section and they need to be comfortable with it.
Totally agree - I'm not moaning, just commenting what those three words (plaid, lilac, skirts) put me in mind of! I'm not presuming in the slightest it will be that, until it comes out we wont truly know!
For all we know, the previously mentioned skirts may not actually be uniform items but shown with the samples as to what it would look like with one for more formal occasions (if girls own one). That would make sense to me. So no, I'm not jumping up and down and going 'aaahhgggh mandatory skirts again!' just yet! XD

The FAQ's do state the present uniform is still fine, so girls presently in it don't need to change (it may look mismatched for a while, but this always happens with a change. And they kind of already do anyway).

I've also seen there's been more added to the FAQ's now - apparently the uniform has been designed in conjunction with a fashion department at a university. Periodically it's going to be worth checking them to see any updates I think!

Last edited:

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
I've also seen there's been more added to the FAQ's now - apparently the uniform has been designed in conjunction with a fashion department at a university. Periodically it's going to be worth checking them to see any updates I think!
That last bit was on there originally. I remember reading it when we first got the email about it.

I_am_trouble

Leader in Training
GuiderPlus
Usage Guidelines? What!?!
I cant wait to see the uniform but Guidelines? I am not too sure about!
I think Lilac in the uniform will look lovely and I think seeing as all the brownies normally look the same why should guides not? When out on trips with my girls I often find myself looking for the kneckers not uniform because they are easier to spot that way!

No plaid skirts though - I dont think that would go down well at all!

Last edited:

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Usage Guidelines? What!?!
I cant wait to see the uniform but Guidelines? I am not too sure about!
The useful thing about them is that they should hopefully clarify confusion and prevent by laws. Because there is next to no official stance on uniform (as it now is again) some leaders took it upon themselves to make up rules and people can have very different interpretations of what phrases such as "appropriate to the occasion" means. Some units only allow dark bottom halves, others have no restriction. With events such as Remembrance there is normally at least one thread on here about another a DC "telling off" a leader for wearing jeans, frustration with a guide for wearing bright pink trainers or something of this nature.

Guidelines don't have to be strict but they need to be clear. That is my main hope. More official guidance will help put everyone on the same page and will hopefully strengthen the image of the Guide section .

pippin64

Regular (50+ posts)
Hello everyone not been around for a while been too absorbed in Guiding, you all know what I mean "the 2 hours a week" :)

I for one can't wait to see the new "Uniform" and I sincerely hope it is a "Uniform" rather than the mis-match jumble we currently have. Yes we need to be a modern organisation, keep girls in mind and make it functional but I'm so envious of the smart turn out Scouts always have. We also have to consider how girls feel wearing it in public!

This kind of statement that bounces around makes me spin. We need to be proud of our belonging to our organisation & should encourage girls to feel proud of being part of such a fantastic family. We shouldn't hide ourselves from our belonging just to fit with the in crowd.

Polos & jeans/leggings are fine for camp/messy activities but this kind of wear gives us a very slothernly look when out in public. As an example girls in our unit when out and about at events in public used to get asked what are you? ! We then re-introduced neckers and the tide changed to recognise "oh you're the girls version of scouts".

Fingers crossed its a uniform that shouts out loud & proud that we belong to the most remarkable girls organisation in the world. :)

EmStar

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I'm hoping it will be something that is a bit more recognisable as Guides but I also miss the connection between the sections we had with the JB uniform (except Rainbows unfortunately, but at least the cap matched). The current rainbow and brownie clothes look linked with the difference between the sleeve and body colours and the senior section and leader uniform look like they are part of the same family. I'm hoping the shoulder/body or body/underarm panel two tone in the senior section uniform could be followed in the guide uniform, or something similar.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I just wish they'd get a move on with it. My unit starts back in three weeks time and we're going to be in a bit of limbo for new girls starting.
We start back in a fortnight but, despite vigorous campaigning by several groups from across Scotland, the uniforms won't be available until September as Trading seem to have an inexplicable fascination with launching things in that month, so our recruits will have to either get the old stuff or do without for several weeks, as usual.

senry

Veteran (100+ posts)
I just wish they'd get a move on with it. My unit starts back in three weeks time and we're going to be in a bit of limbo for new girls starting.
I can understand that, I have advised new girls, who started at Easter, not to get their uniform until Sept as parents wanted to buy it big for them to grow into. I know in our unit we have an issue about it being cold in the hall and we recommend a parents to get the warmest item 1st, I want to see what the new stuff is so we can do this before they come back to guides so people don’t buy inappropriate tops and then complain about the cold/lack of advice like what happened a few years ago!

I also can’t wait to see what it looks like!