• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

New LaSER 4 Coordinator - what do you want from 4?

TracyLA20

Veteran (100+ posts)
Subject says it all really. From 1st January I'll be the new 4 Coordinator for LaSER and I'd like to know what your expectations are of 4, how I can make it more accessible, that sort of thing. Even of you aren't from LaSER please feel free to post as I may get some good ideas. Of you have any questions too, I'll try and answer them on here.

snowy91

Fully warranted Brownie Guider
I am a peer educator in LASER and I personally would appreciate more help with publicity.....I have moved back to surrey after Uni and trying to get sessions here, DC sent an email to division for me (I don't drive so sending it further to county is silly as I wouldn't get there!) but no replies or even glimpses of interest......I think it's mainly because people just ont understand what it is!!!!

Also......I've done 3 sessions and filled in the stats.....how do I get my pin badge??

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
don't shoot the messenger .... but "what is 4?" am guessing its like in4mers? (I'm rainbows and must admit with in4mers when I heard they weren;t allowed to do rainbows... I sort of didn't find out any more info) but not heard of 4 yet - ducks for cover

growlywench

Veteran (100+ posts)
don't shoot the messenger .... but "what is 4?" am guessing its like in4mers? (I'm rainbows and must admit with in4mers when I heard they weren;t allowed to do rainbows... I sort of didn't find out any more info) but not heard of 4 yet - ducks for cover
C'mon, SN, you read and comment on every topic, you must have picked up that Peer Educators are the new name for in4mers - and the thread header gives it away ????? :D

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

fruityloop92

Veteran (100+ posts)
Do Peer Educators run sessions suitable for Brownies?

From what little I know about the scheme, it sounds like the topics are more Guide/SS age, but it would be great to get someone to come to Brownies

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
The only things I have heard about in4mers/peer educators are the things I have read on here - I've had no information locally on who they are/what they do/how to contact them/how to utilise them (or indeed, what not to land them with!). I'd suggest a good starting point would be to work out how to get in contact with individual leaders and give them info on 'what you can do for them'.

TracyLA20

Veteran (100+ posts)
In transit to Christmas location at the moment and about to run out of data allowance, but I'm reading this with great interest and will PM those with specific questions and post on here with more general queries when I've borrowed my uncle's Wi-Fi password :)

snowy91

Do Peer Educators run sessions suitable for Brownies?

From what little I know about the scheme, it sounds like the topics are more Guide/SS age, but it would be great to get someone to come to Brownies
Yes we do brownie sessions :)
The skills (communication, team work, leadership and something else) are great for brownies :D as are bullying, healthy eating (more of a spin off to eating disorders), media/image, disability awareness :) I'd say the only one I wouldn't do with brownies was sexual health but then we are not meant to do it because of age limits :)

Squirrel-Nutkin

I'd agree with the communication of what you DO or CAN DO is a must - perhaps an article in something like raspberry ripple (or the equivalent) detailing what you can do/do do and also how to make contact and arrange a visit :D

AND perhaps a county wide email to commissioners asking that they forward onto their divisions/districts?

TracyLA20

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'd agree with the communication of what you DO or CAN DO is a must - perhaps an article in something like raspberry ripple (or the equivalent) detailing what you can do/do do and also how to make contact and arrange a visit :D

AND perhaps a county wide email to commissioners asking that they forward onto their divisions/districts?
I know they've recently rebranded Raspberry Ripple and the articles are much smaller now, but I can certainly look into that. County Coordinators should be promoting 4 in their areas, but I will look into working with Counties that do not have Coordinators so that everyone is getting the same information.

Squirrel-Nutkin

they did mention in4mers once in district meeting saying "we ought to invite them along to meetings" but no details of how to contact them and only the briefest mention of what they did as being "oh bullying type stuff" and I know you do so much more than that...

42ndraven

Beginner (10+ posts)
As a UH for a senior section unit with 4 peer educators in, I have found that it can be a hard slog sometimes. We have done sessions for brownie, guide and sen sec units locally, and the feedback has been good, but we have found that if info is required by the girls, it has been a bit of a slog. I have sent emails upwards regarding things, but had no responses. Most of the posts here seem to be about finding out about them. We have gone out to units, emailed leaders, brought up in district meetings etc. I have promoted them tirelessly, for the girls' sake, but I think they are not promoted as well as they can be on a district/division level- do commissioners etc know about them? Another point that I think is relevant is the momentum/recognition that the actual girls get. Most unit leaders are unaware that these girls have been trained specially to deliver these sessions, and as the sessions become few and far between, the girls themselves lose passion for them, and they start to become a chore. Better promotion, and maybe follow ups - invite the trained informers for a get together- common problems, feedbacks, what they feel they need, different sessions that they would like to offer?

TracyLA20

Veteran (100+ posts)
they did mention in4mers once in district meeting saying "we ought to invite them along to meetings" but no details of how to contact them and only the briefest mention of what they did as being "oh bullying type stuff" and I know you do so much more than that...
Do you know if your County has a 4 Coordinator? They should be able to put you in touch with Peer Educators in your area. I also think that many areas would benefit from having a Peer Educator going to District meetings and actually running a session for the Leaders. People assume that 4 is just for the girls, but Leaders, Trefoil Guilds, Scouts and other organisations can benefit from it too.

Squirrel-Nutkin

I imagine it would be our senior section adviser? (whoever that is on county directory) but to answer you honestly - no I don't know

but when I pressed for details and tried to find out more, as soon as I found out it wasn't for "rainbows" and youngest section they catered for was "brownies" I sort of didn't find out any more... its a pity, because I'm sure some of the stuff would be suitable for rainbows/perhaps with a little adaptation???? such as the the teamwork/working together type of things and the friendship/bullying stuff?

I'd happily have the in4mers/4 peer education in for rainbows to give them a meeting to try out their stuff on...:D

snowy91

I imagine it would be our senior section adviser? (whoever that is on county directory) but to answer you honestly - no I don't know

but when I pressed for details and tried to find out more, as soon as I found out it wasn't for "rainbows" and youngest section they catered for was "brownies" I sort of didn't find out any more... its a pity, because I'm sure some of the stuff would be suitable for rainbows/perhaps with a little adaptation???? such as the the teamwork/working together type of things and the friendship/bullying stuff?

I'd happily have the in4mers/4 peer education in for rainbows to give them a meeting to try out their stuff on...:D
We can do rainbow sessions but we can't count them as one of our sessions (apparently a rainbow is not our peer.....and yet a brownie is)

Squirrel-Nutkin

well true peers would be SAME AGE... so I can't work out that logic? whats difference between a 7 yr old brownie and a 5, 6 or 7 yr old rainbow?

I agree with you guys! The weird thing about being called a Peer educator only was brought up to me when I told my mum what I was doing. She then thought it was funny that a 10 year old could be considered a peer of me, a 17 year old! But I think the whole wording "peer" comes from the fact that we are of the same association, rather than of the same age. But then again, the problem that Rainbows aren't catered for stems from that!

Although when I did my training back in September, we found out that Rainbows weren't catered for in the current topics because of the way the topics are handled, and that there are specific ones in the pipeline which derive from some of the original ones like Bullying etc. and will be aimed at Rainbows :)

~ In the interests of staying on topic though - as a lot of people have said better communication and links between those higher up and those who are peer educators would definitely help to increase the number of sessions taking place!! I am the only one in my county and so far I have emailed as many higher up as possible and included a form for asking for a session and I have had just one leader email me... I fear my emails haven't been passed on :(

zfmoose

Beginner (10+ posts)
What would be really helpful is to have an e-mail sent to all active peer educators with the names and e-mail addresses (as long as they consent) of all the 4 co-ordinators for the areas. That would make applying for grants and getting in contact with people much easier.