• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

New Programme - Discuss!

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Please use this thread to discuss the new programme :)

Please also remember this is searchable on search engines, and as BadgeMad4 (sorry, was that World Chief Guide?!?!) knows only too well, may end up in the Sunday papers.

So let's keep it constructive and work through any concerns positively.

Gizz

Regular (50+ posts)
Very excited! I was worried about what would happen with the First Aid badge and the Camper badges for Guides, but think having them as skills builders is an excellent idea!
Need to get my hands on some resources to see more but looking forward to introducing this to the girls in September.

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
Also very excited!

It is really going to simplify programme planning: a starting meeting, an outing, a Skills Builder, some UMAs and short activities/games, a wide game/party/theme evening and done - and it's balanced, active, interesting and with proper skills to learn :)

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
I can't wait to pick up my resources later on today! I've already decided on an activity to get the girls discussing the new interest badges. I'm going to put a hoop on the floor and divide into six sections with a skipping rope and label each section with a theme. The, using pictures of the badges, the girls will have to decide which theme each badge should go into. I'm hoping to promote discussion, and although I realise that the badges are colour coded, the girls probably won't click straight away.

I might also list the words on the dice (from the poster) and get the girls to stick them onto paper with the headings on. I'm considering making this into some sort of relay to earn the words, but haven't sorted out exactly how yet.

Both will be done in small groups, so that we can discuss any differences.

I think that as well as generating excitement and interest, it's hopefully going to make the theme names stick in my head. I always seem to miss one out when I test myself.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
lol @browniebeth I’m still waiting for royalities as I seem to had written that article for them!

I’m excited, it’s change but it’s good! I feel like we will all now be speaking the same language.

I feel like it will make it clearer how to run the programme and that there is more of a standardised programme so that Guiding experiences are more universal. A big plus for me is that the structure runs the same through all sections, so it’s more explicit to all how knowledge and experience from the previous section can contribute to the next and what is personal and what is done with the unit. I feel like it’s easier to explain and show to the public what we do, how we do it and that we are a proper educational charity/movement with an obvious programme.

The badges look fresh, clear, neat and bright.

So many of the elements are what people have been asking for for a while, such as staged badges, badges that are wholly individual, proper hand books, a “proper” top award, badges for all sections...

It might take some time adjusting to, but I’m so excited!

I only hope people remember that lots of other volunteers put lots of time and effort into developing and testing it all and that all volunteers will be adjusting. Commissioners, advisors and coordinators are volunteers too and will be having extra queries on top of the usual work. Please be patient if it takes a little longer than usual.

There are still a few things that seem ambiguous though that I thought would be made clearer: what is happening to YLs and peer eds? It seems to say that you can be both AND a Ranger, which suggests to me that there is no longer an “umbrella” other than a common age group. As in it’s not that all are automatically Rangers who then have a select/additional role. Will YLs wear Ranger uniform, and are they bringing back the white promise badge, I’ve only seen rumours and not had any confirmation. My new YL has put off getting uniform because she doesn’t want to have an old one or the wrong one. We hoped that today might have brought some answers so if anyone please knows anything we’d be grateful!

And how all the new volunteer roles mentioned will work with things like membership and background checks. But I’m guessing those roles haven’t been launched yet.

bagu

Veteran (100+ posts)
lol @browniebeth

There are still a few things that seem ambiguous though that I thought would be made clearer: what is happening to YLs and peer eds? It seems to say that you can be both AND a Ranger, which suggests to me that there is no longer an “umbrella” other than a common age group. As in it’s not that all are automatically Rangers who then have a select/additional role. Will YLs wear Ranger uniform, and are they bringing back the white promise badge, I’ve only seen rumours and not had any confirmation. My new YL has put off getting uniform because she doesn’t want to have an old one or the wrong one. We hoped that today might have brought some answers so if anyone please knows anything we’d be grateful!

There's a bit more information about Young Leaders in the changeover notes for Senior Section which are linked halfway down this page: changeover notes
Uniform for Young Leaders who are not Rangers will be confirmed during the changeover year (ie in the next 12 months). Also says that girls who are both Rangers and Young Leaders would be able to wear either uniform in either role and wouldn't need to have 2 different ones.
No change to age ranges for Peer Educators also mentioned.

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
Things I love so far
The design of the interest badges - the Rainbow ones are adorable, the guide ones aren't too cutesy. I like that they all have the name of the badge on. I also like that each section has a shape, so all the badges look like they go together (unlike the old guide badges, which were whatever shape and size).

I like that there's a woven and pin badge for the gold awards.

I like that a lot more ideas for unit meetings will be provided in a pick up and go format.

The Ranger handbook looks really cool as well, it's very on trend and the kind of notebook you'd buy for yourself anyway, which is great.

Things I'm yet to be convinced by
The selection of interest badges. They're a bit... bizarre. Like, why do Brownies have an aviation and archaeology badge, but no sports badges. Also, the World badges seem to have been mostly dropped for all sections - I can see that the Zero Waste Brownie badge tied in a bit to World Issues, but World Cultures seems to have gone without replacement, and there's nothing about animals which is a perennial favourite with 7yr olds. Also, Baking is a bit rubbish as a badge in my opinion, as the focus should be on healthier cooking for life, rather than sugary cupcakes.

I'm still not happy or comfortable with the partnering of interest badges to large companies with dubious ethics.

It's a bit annoying that guides and ranger badges have been put on the badge finder, but for Brownie badges it says "Buy a badge book to find out what to do".

The Gold Award pin badges look a bit cheap and tacky to me, but perhaps younger girls prefer them.
I'm still to be convinced about the admin of me recording girls' progress on Go. I'd prefer to let the girl do that in her book, and then her to take responsibility for keeping it safe over the holidays as she transfers to the next section/unit. For Brownies and up, this should be more than possible and I think it would be a good lesson in responsibility.

I'm picking up my handbook and badge record book today so I'll add more thoughts after I've digested it a bit, but I definitely think this is a positive change.

blue_dreamer

Veteran (100+ posts)
The badge design looks good, love that Rainbows have so much more.

Hate that guides have a 'vlogging' badge, just hope it raises awareness as to why it's a bad thing and what to look out for that raises alarm bells, and not to upload anything on the internet at their age....

Bit annoyed that leaders were seemingly kept in the dark about all the new literature and now HQ are like 'SURPIRSE' and throw it all out at once. Me thinks they need some proper expertise in the comms dept.

Last edited:

kirstyr

Veteran (100+ posts)
I love it!!

Like the others its a shame we have lost some interest badges, but the new way of doing interest badges to be low cost is great.

I would like that we could downlad more e.g. skills builders, meeting activities etc.

Questions I have so far:

Anniversary badges: Do we start everyone at 1 with the new programme, or give them the next relevant one at their anniversary?
Unit meeting activities: Can we plan our own within the themes and count them towards the theme badges?

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Questions I have so far:

Anniversary badges: Do we start everyone at 1 with the new programme, or give them the next relevant one at their anniversary?
dont know the answer to your other question but my understanding is that you give them the appropriate badge at their anniversary, don't backdate. So some Brownies might get 3 or 4 as their first one, some may start at 1.

Does that makes sense?

Burghilly

Veteran (100+ posts)
So far very excited. My Guide daughter and some of her guide friends looked at the new badges in the trading catalogue last night and were all extremely excited.

Like others there also bits I'm trying to get my head round - like the HUGE amount of recording that 'll be needed. I know the girls will have their books but I'm already thinking wall chart for our hut .(GPDR friendly of course!)

I like the clear layout of the books too. Fresh and not too fussy .

The skills builders will standardise much of what Guides do across the board but I hope there will still be time for us to go 'off piste' now and then. After all, that's what gives each unit it's individuality.

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
Unit meeting activities: Can we plan our own within the themes and count them towards the theme badges?
I was wondering this too :). It depends how it's recorded in Go, I think - which is supposed to automatically add up the time based on the recommended time for the activity, suggesting we might only be able count official ones?

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
So far very excited. My Guide daughter and some of her guide friends looked at the new badges in the trading catalogue last night and were all extremely excited.

Like others there also bits I'm trying to get my head round - like the HUGE amount of recording that 'll be needed. I know the girls will have their books but I'm already thinking wall chart for our hut .(GPDR friendly of course!)

I like the clear layout of the books too. Fresh and not too fussy .

The skills builders will standardise much of what Guides do across the board but I hope there will still be time for us to go 'off piste' now and then. After all, that's what gives each unit it's individuality.
The notes say it should take 60% to two-thirds of the total time, so still time for Unit traditions, outings, theme evenings etc - and looking at it, there will be time around the individual activities for favourite games and short activities.

bagu

Veteran (100+ posts)
I was wondering this too :). It depends how it's recorded in Go, I think - which is supposed to automatically add up the time based on the recommended time for the activity, suggesting we might only be able count official ones?
Yes it's only the official Unit Meeting Activities that count for the Theme Awards - although the programme isn't designed to take up 100% of unit meetings so they'll still be time for you to do other activities too - not everything has to count for a badge! (I can't find the source for this about theme awards on the website at the moment but definitely had it explained to us at a trainers' training and is in some of the trainers' resources).
Also the time counted towards the theme award will be the theoretical time given as a guide on the Activity card. So if an activity says '1 hour' then it will count as '1 hour' even if in reality if it only took 45 minutes or the girls got really into it and carried on with it for longer.

syfyowl

Beginner (10+ posts)
My 9 year old niece is trying to figure out if she can get her Brownie Gold badge before going to Guides but also wants to be in Guides right now after seeing the interest badges. So much choice!

kirstyr

Veteran (100+ posts)
My 9 year old niece is trying to figure out if she can get her Brownie Gold badge before going to Guides but also wants to be in Guides right now after seeing the interest badges. So much choice!
does her unit do the adventure badges? There is a special rule in the guidance notes for brownies about this, I think she needs 2 adventure badges and 3 new interest badges from different themes and the gold challenge...

Last edited:

kirstyr

Veteran (100+ posts)
dont know the answer to your other question but my understanding is that you give them the appropriate badge at their anniversary, don't backdate. So some Brownies might get 3 or 4 as their first one, some may start at 1.

Does that makes sense?
yes that answers it.. I didn't know if we had to start everyone 1 even if they had been around for longer. I wish they went higher for adults to collect too ;)

syfyowl

Beginner (10+ posts)
does her unit do the adventure badges? There is a special rule in the guidance notes for brownies about this, I think she needs 2 adventure badges and 3 theme awards and the gold challenge...
Wow, that's brilliant news. I can't get my hands on the new resources until Wednesday because of work and family commitments but you can be sure I'm getting them asap.