• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

New Programme - Discuss!

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I am a Lone Guide Guider, and we have to adapt the skills builders and UMAs alot, because our girls are rarely working in groups. Usually we can get something equivalent, but Lead stage 4 is simply impossible to adapt.
Forgive my ingnorance, but are there any occasions during the year that you may get together, at a camp or event, when it would be possible ? Even in an adapted form ?

floss

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Yes, am planning a get-together in May to try to do some stuff. But currently sending them out with newsletters so they can work on them themselves, otherwise there's no way we can cover the programme.

I am curious to know how people are planning on running the skill builders while we are all getting used to everything.

The options I can see are:
1. Run 1 skill builder at 1 stage to start with.
2. Run 1 skill builder with two or more (if Guides) stages from the same one simultaneously.
3. Run 2 or more skill builders at the same stage simultaneously
4. Run two or more skill builders at different stages simultaneously.
or another way entirely?!
We are planning to get the girls to choose which skills builder they want to do first, and then run stage 2 and 3 at the same time.

But going on the Skills Builders that I have already purchased, that will mean one group may need a filler activity while the other is still working for some weeks.

1536578879946.png
1536578891834.png

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
I am curious to know how people are planning on running the skill builders while we are all getting used to everything.

The options I can see are:
1. Run 1 skill builder at 1 stage to start with.
2. Run 1 skill builder with two or more (if Guides) stages from the same one simultaneously.
3. Run 2 or more skill builders at the same stage simultaneously
4. Run two or more skill builders at different stages simultaneously.
or another way entirely?!
For the first one, i've chosen the topic where the activities sound most interesting. We're going to run multiple activities each week though, and they'll be in smaller groups and do a different one each week in their group.

We're incredibly lucky though with the number of adult leaders and YLs we have though so we could run up to 4 of the activities at the same time, with 2 leaders per group...

My worry is girls with extra needs. I have a rainbow who is nearly 7Years old and can not write her name. How can girls with extra needs get the best guiding experience if we can not adapt the cards for them.
It's going to be challenging, but possibly no more challenging than it normally is.

The interest badges are about the girl doing it in entirely her own way, so a non verbal child could totally illustrate all three clauses for example. It said that completing an interest badge is about doing your best and trying your hardest. So success isn't a criteria - trying is.

The UMAs and SBs are more team based, and in any team there will be some girls who take the lead and others who contribute less. But they'll all earn the badge if they are there taking part. Hopefully they'll also have had fun and learnt something.

Plus the skills builders for Brownies (when she moves up) can include stage 1 if that's appropriate and they can involved other girls who'd like to earn it for fun so that it's a small group who are doing it together.

Tregi

Veteran (100+ posts)
We are planning to get the girls to choose which skills builder they want to do first, and then run stage 2 and 3 at the same time.

But going on the Skills Builders that I have already purchased, that will mean one group may need a filler activity while the other is still working for some weeks.
I would think that the amount of time increases with each SK level - but the length of time it actually takes to do each activity will never be the same as the card. Maybe when organising, your S2 girls could also look at the badge book, or use that time to do some teamwork games/activies/ leadership skills, so when they are older they have skills you need - organising the equipment needed for the next activity?

JJJJ1980

Brownie Leader x 3
We have chosen the theme and the level this time. Most of the activities will be done all together but some of the more labour intensive ones will be split and rotated over a couple of weeks. We hope to offer more choice in the future.

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
The first time, we will all do one set of cards together. I am a primary teacher and used to juggling 5 groups of kids doing different things. I have to bear in mind that my team is less confident and comfortable. So we'll be dipping our toes into the water, so to speak. The next term, we could offer two choices and see how they feel and potentially build up from there. By the time we get round to girls repeating a theme and needing an alternative pack or stage, hopefully everyone will be feeling more confident about how it runs.

bagu

Veteran (100+ posts)
We're Guides. First meeting of the term tonight. They were the usual mixture of endearing and infuriating (and always noisy!) - don't think that changes regardless of the programme!

We did 2 of the shorter UMA (Fabulous Friend name game and the team miming one from Express Myself) as part of getting to know you activities so everyone has done 30 minutes of unit meeting activities now!
Had a sheet of paper for each skillbuilder with picture/title and the sort of things it covers and the Guides wrote their name on the ones they most wanted to do (we only have 1 badge book between us so far so they couldn't really look in those as yet). From that looks like we will offer Explore and Innovate this term (probably both at stage 4 as mixed ages in the groups wanting to do each one). We also have a few Guides finishing their B-P Challenge who will do this while the others are doing their skill builders.
Next week the patrols will choose one of the UMA to do in patrol time the following week. We're going to take out the ones from Have Adventures and Express Myself for this term as they'll be doing those themes as skill-builders, plus a few that look better done as a unit - that should still give them a good choice. (And means next term the Express Myself/Adventure ones will look new and exciting!) I think we will evolve into using UMAs as 'starters' for patrol time. Eg there's one about going to a supermarket and budgeting for a meal - if they choose that they'll inevitably want to cook the meal the following week. Another about planning fundraising - easy enough for them then to actually want to try putting it into practice. Alternatively they can try a UMA and if they're not inspired choose something completely different next time. They're used to planning and carrying out activities from doing Go For Its so this isn't too different for us.

So far, so good.

So, first night at Brownies with the new programme went pretty well. I went full keynote on them, and used my laptop and a projector to introduce the themes and talk about what they meant, then show and explain badges, SBs and UMAs. Then they got into sixes to look at the badge books and handbook. Each six had to choose an SB, and pitch it to the unit, then we were going to vote. But because I'd purchased stage 2 and 3 of innovate for them to look at, and it has food in it - they all chose that, so no voting was necessary!

They all want the Brownie Gold award, although some of them probably won't actually do anything outside Brownies to earn it!

I do think it's a shame that the Brownies Go-For-It was not replaced with something specific though. In our unit we get our girls to team up in pairs as they get close to moving on to Guides, and they plan and run a whole night to earn the badge. They don't use pre-made material. Their creativity is always refreshing, and the amount of effort they put in is generally really high.

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
I do think it's a shame that the Brownies Go-For-It was not replaced with something specific though. In our unit we get our girls to team up in pairs as they get close to moving on to Guides, and they plan and run a whole night to earn the badge. They don't use pre-made material. Their creativity is always refreshing, and the amount of effort they put in is generally really high.
Yes, one of the things which has been said repeatedly here and in the training is that not everyone is expected to do the Gold Award. Rainbows still have the Pot of Gold badge, but for Brownies, Guides and Rangers, the official transition element of the programme is currently contained in the Gold Award.

caroline68

Regular (50+ posts)
Couldn't you still do this activity with your girls going to guides anyway, as part of your 40% of your own thing? It sounds lovely (I'm a RL), perhaps get them the 'I was in Brownies' badge instead? I do agree though, it would be lovely to have something like PoG for other sections, something they all get regardless to celbrate their time in that section. Why not tell HQ your thoughts?

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
My plan is to still do the evenings where the oldest girls run what happens, I can then sign off tat clause in the Gold Award - regardless of whether they're wanting to complete the rest of it or not!

I know the Gold Award includes aspects of the previous Go-For-It, but in my head the part two section of the Gold Award Challenge doesn't quite meet the level of leadership and planning that some of our Brownies have shown, and I'd love something additional to award them. I don't know what yet, because until we've fleshed out the new programme, and the increased amount of girl led material we won't know how much further our shining future leaders will take it! It's all going to be a learning curve as we get used to it. We'll gradually see where we think we are lacking - or maybe won't turn out to be lacking at all.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
This was always my concern, that I as a leader would not have the skills required to fulfill the requirements of prescribed activities.

Yes, I could look at getting someone in, but this is not practical on a regular basis. I hoped instructions would be given, either on the cards or, where it says "your leader will show...." for instructions to be provided in some sort of leader instruction manual - hard copy or electronic, rather than having to Google whether the stitch I know is actually running stitch...etc

And as for washing up, would have been nice for it to be noted as a given. But hey ho!
Yes, I'd describe myself as very handy (I ran a DIY event for all sections as a District Thinking Day activity) but I am still expecting to find things I don't know how to do myself.

Am I behind (haven't read to the end of the thread) or isn't it the case that not all UMAs are out yet?

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
I'm not a Rainbow leader, so haven't seen the details of this activity - but if you need some free inflatable beach balls, I've just smiled sweetly at our local Virgin Money store who are handing these out at the moment (and suspect that since its nearing the end of summer, they won't be doing this for too much longer, so they might be quite happy to offload them - don't quote me on that though!). One of the Brownie UMAs also needs inflatable balls (though not to puncture, I'm pleased to say), so was delighted to find this freebie :)
Gosh, deliberately puncturing a plastic beach ball? Not very environmentally friendly to put it mildly!

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Badges aren't compulsory - they're only compulsory for the girls who want to gain their Gold award (Which not all of them will want to!)

But it's only the same as trying an activity from a magazine or book or website that you think will go down well - some will hate it!
Do I have this wrong (working through this thread gradually) but don't they have to have an interest badge to get a Theme Award?
So it's only the Skills Builders you can do without an interest badge?