• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

New Programme - Discuss!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Do I have this wrong (working through this thread gradually) but don't they have to have an interest badge to get a Theme Award?
So it's only the Skills Builders you can do without an interest badge?
They do need to do an interest badge to get a theme award. But if they opt not to do interest badges they will still do the Skills Builders (which are the key graded activities anyway) and they will still do a reasonable selection of UMAs. Badges are not the be-all and end-all, it's the skills and the experiences which are important.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
Do I have this wrong (working through this thread gradually) but don't they have to have an interest badge to get a Theme Award?
So it's only the Skills Builders you can do without an interest badge?
Sorry, yes, I forgot you needed IB to get the Theme Awards!

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
I am curious to know how people are planning on running the skill builders while we are all getting used to everything.

The options I can see are:
1. Run 1 skill builder at 1 stage to start with.
2. Run 1 skill builder with two or more (if Guides) stages from the same one simultaneously.
3. Run 2 or more skill builders at the same stage simultaneously
4. Run two or more skill builders at different stages simultaneously.
or another way entirely?!
Ah now you see my joint unit has a secret weapon here - we only have 6yo Rainbows and 7yo Brownies till at least half term.
So we're starting with a choice of SBs (leaving out the one that I will not run) at stage 2.
I have a couple of 5yos starting after that but this will be a good way to ease in.

Here's a summary from the Brownies leaflet for parents, although even this isn't that clear, as the minimum number of elements for Brownies is 1 Skills Builder, 1 interest badge, and 4 hours of UMAs. They included the 4 hours bit here, which in context is confusing, as it seems to indicate that it's a maximum. It should just have the icon.

And the more I look at this, the more I think that it should be saying that the Skills Builders will be managed by the leader, and that the UMAs should just say "There are a wide range… etc". But I'm just picky.

brownies leaflet.png

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Here's a summary from the Brownies leaflet for parents, although even this isn't that clear, as the minimum number of elements for Brownies is 1 Skills Builder, 1 interest badge, and 4 hours of UMAs. They included the 4 hours bit here, which in context is confusing, as it seems to indicate that it's a maximum. It should just have the icon.

And the more I look at this, the more I think that it should be saying that the Skills Builders will be managed by the leader, and that the UMAs should just say "There are a wide range… etc". But I'm just picky.

View attachment 17505
clumsy wording, but as parents won't have access to the Skills Builder cards, then it shouldn't be a major issue.

clumsy wording, but as parents won't have access to the Skills Builder cards, then it shouldn't be a major issue.
To be honest I think the girls will understand this far better than the Me, Community, World aspects of the Adventure Badges. Every term I updated mine on how our activities fulfilled those aspects in our last term, but never really seem to get it!

I'm thinking of getting the girls to present the new programme to their parents in one of our meetings to help both groups understand it!

dragnilk

Regular (50+ posts)
To be honest I think the girls will understand this far better than the Me, Community, World aspects of the Adventure Badges. Every term I updated mine on how our activities fulfilled those aspects in our last term, but never really seem to get it!

I'm thinking of getting the girls to present the new programme to their parents in one of our meetings to help both groups understand it!
Your comment made me chuckle, once a term we had a session to fill in the Adventure Books and I would list which activities we had done that they could write in for their me, community and world boxes. I don't know how many times I used to repeat myself and half of them still never seemed to manage to write everything down. I am so relieved that the new books just require a tick next to the relevant skill builder.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness

View attachment 17505
Where do we get these leaflets?

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
How many have started the new programme? And if you have, what new programme stuff have you managed to fit into your meetings so far/which section are you?

I've started and am rainbows and we've been trying to do as much of the outside stuff as possible to maximise the lighter/nicer evenings.

So far have introduced new programme and badge books, done birdie builders, trails and trackers and Den Building SB camp stage 1. Apart from birdie builders which if I am honest I would not have considered doing with my girls before the new programme, everything else I would have either selected or have done before... birdie builders sadly wasn't as popular with my older girls [the just turned 5 did enjoy the activity] but all girls still went home happy as we ended evening with playing games outside for our 40% [possibly more 50%...]

Last edited:
Can we buy (or possibly get free!) those ready printed? They are very colour-heavy, my printer is not going to be happy!
I don't know - I hope so, because I'd like to put them up as posters in our unit, and I don't own a colour printer so I'll have to go down to snappy snaps and pay for printing!

NosilaC

Regular (50+ posts)
We're not starting the new programme 'officially' until next term, but have several of the older girls keen to do their Brownies Go For It - so along with the general suggestions, a copy of the new Guide Handbook and Badgebook, I gave them a folder of the UMAs last night as I guessed that they might want to do the 'run a Brownie meeting' option, and thought that they might want to use of one the UMAs. There was quite an excited (and very animated) discussion about the UMAs, several of which they liked the look of - but decided in the end to come up with their own ideas for a 'round robin' evening of different, and well thought out, activities towards the current Disability Awareness badge (which happens to tie in beautifully with the Remembrance Challenge we're doing this term). Thank you, Brownies!