• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

New Programme - Discuss!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
How many have started the new programme? And if you have, what new programme stuff have you managed to fit into your meetings so far/which section are you?

I've started and am rainbows and we've been trying to do as much of the outside stuff as possible to maximise the lighter/nicer evenings.

So far have introduced new programme and badge books, done birdie builders, trails and trackers and Den Building SB camp stage 1. Apart from birdie builders which if I am honest I would not have considered doing with my girls before the new programme, everything else I would have either selected or have done before... birdie builders sadly wasn't as popular with my older girls [the just turned 5 did enjoy the activity] but all girls still went home happy as we ended evening with playing games outside for our 40% [possibly more 50%...]
Been doing it for 4 weeks now. Both units have done a couple of sessions on the respective Skills Builders they are doing, and we have done a number of UMAs too. Plus, the Guides were at a District Camp in August, so they covered a number of activities whilst there. Several of the activities which we have done have been games anyway, so we haven't had to do much we wouldn't have been doing anyway.

Wish we had been given those lovely posters with the Guiding mag instead of the silly dice thing.

We did the Rainbows' SB Safety Superheroes last night. I adapted it to make it appealing, which meant I had to spend extra time (and money) prepping, but so worth the effort. It took us over 45mins (instead of 30mins on card), we made masks and gave ourselves superhero names.

Looked over the 'money' themed SB and UMA (why 2 money activities?) - oh dear, just like the stuff we do in school.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
Can we buy (or possibly get free!) those ready printed? They are very colour-heavy, my printer is not going to be happy!
might be worth emailing and asking if they'd add to trading (but by the time agreed/done and available in trading, would the demand for them still be there?) . But could email them out to parents? But for display purposes proper printed ones would look best. Ponders over whether there are places that professionally print locally from pfd, as that might be way forward if you want a professional looking printed one? would be a legit unit expense...

Squirrel-Nutkin

Wish we had been given those lovely posters with the Guiding mag instead of the silly dice thing.

We did the Rainbows' SB Safety Superheroes last night. I adapted it to make it appealing, which meant I had to spend extra time (and money) prepping, but so worth the effort. It took us over 45mins (instead of 30mins on card), we made masks and gave ourselves superhero names.

Looked over the 'money' themed SB and UMA (why 2 money activities?) - oh dear, just like the stuff we do in school.

were these templates you printed off? would love to see some examples of what you did, as when I read that activity I was thinking it would need jazzing up too

Squirrel-Nutkin

We're not starting the new programme 'officially' until next term

think a few unit are doing this and during this term are doing several of the UMA to get some hours building up towards the theme awards ahead of starting the skillsbuilders and officially starting the programme

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
might be worth emailing and asking if they'd add to trading (but by the time agreed/done and available in trading, would the demand for them still be there?) . But could email them out to parents? But for display purposes proper printed ones would look best. Ponders over whether there are places that professionally print locally from pfd, as that might be way forward if you want a professional looking printed one? would be a legit unit expense...
I think they're going on the Online Print Centre, but you can noramlly email to places like Staples and Office Outlet (Or whatever its called) or take things in on a pen drive

Squirrel-Nutkin

Can we buy (or possibly get free!) those ready printed? They are very colour-heavy, my printer is not going to be happy!
think they are being added to the online print centre so we could order a 'professionally printed' version from there... but there are places you can get pfd printed locally too, might depend on costs/how quickly you need them? The posters do look good. In some ways wished they'd been available as soon as new programme was released.

were these templates you printed off? would love to see some examples of what you did, as when I read that activity I was thinking it would need jazzing up too
Did you mean the mask templates SN? I bought from Hobbycraft (10 for £1, elastic £2.20). The girls decorated them with felt pens.

At the weekend I walked round our village photographing potential dangers (there were lots). Printed two images to an A4, then laminated. We stuck them round the meeting place for the groups to go around and discuss with their Helper the danger and how to stay safe in each situation.
I just couldn't bring myself to mark out a 'masking tape' road on the hall floor then throw a scarf on the ground for 'water' and a stuffed animal for a dog!

MummySquirrel

Veteran (100+ posts)
think a few unit are doing this and during this term are doing several of the UMA to get some hours building up towards the theme awards ahead of starting the skillsbuilders and officially starting the programme
Exactly what we're doing with Rainbows, used 'All my Friends' song our girls already know but with 7 new girls, v. appropriate. Using one or two to tie in with Promise activities and doing Roundabout. We decided to wait until next term to introduce rest... having a parents meeting after half term and hopefully most girls will get Badge book in Christmas stockings.

We started the new programme this week at Guides (Monday). Our girls really didn't like Go for Its so I thought it might be best to get on with the new stuff!

I was so worried about how it would go (in the summer holidays I'd had recurring dreams about it!) but we were enthusiastic and they LOVED it. Some of them were a bit confused about the difference between the skills builders and the interest badges but with time hopefully they will pick it up.

All of them have chosen a badge to do this term (lots of different choices), they can pick more if they get them finished sooner. We got them to vote which skills builder they wanted to do (First Aid), for this term we are doing it so everyone does the same one but next term we will let patrols pick different ones. We have got some new starters coming in October but have planned in a 'catch up night' so they should be able to get their SB badge by Christmas (although I haven't decided if they're doing Stage 4 like everyone else or Stage 3).

Ech18

Veteran (100+ posts)
Well that wasn’t so bad in fact it was quite good!

First week of skillsbuilder signed off, it was easy to explain, they took part and it worked.

They also love about 50% of the UMAs so that will do me!

Hi we started back this week did UMA rainbows fastest friends first - needs tweaking!
On a positive it's 20 minutes UMA time and I was able to add it easily to girls records on GO - yes!!
We have been fund raising and got sufficient money to buy the girls there own badgebook as not everyone in the unit would have been able to afford it.
I was bit dissappointed in their reaction to them and thought they would like the books as they are pretty and colourful.
They were more enthusiastic about the cloth bags - £1 with pens from the works we bought them to decorate and keep badge book in , take letters home etc.
This week we are doing a skill builder then going spend time looking through badge book .
We are not doing badges in unit but we are allowed to help and give support ???

caroline68

Regular (50+ posts)
New programme started last night with our Rainbows. I showed them the new badge book and explained that the round, circle badges were for them to do at home, and each badge just had three things to do. I then flicked through and said there are blue badges, pink badges (Oooooohhhhh!), pruple badges (a bigger ooohhhhhh!), green badges (eeuuuggghhhh!!!), orange badges (ooohhhhh), more pink (an excited ooohhhhhh!!!) They do make me laugh, I have no idea why they don't like green!! I showed them the other badges we would do at rainbows and that there were tick boxes for each bit. I explained that there was a change and that if they missed a bit because they were poorly they wouldn't get the badge, but I knew they were very grown up Rainbows and would be able to cope with that and that also we would be doing challenge badges like we always had. One pipes up with, "we can all eat our fruit and vegetables so we don't get poorly"!!
We then started on a challenge badge as it involved wet glue and I wanted time for the glue to dry before going home, so we read Room on the Broom and made broomstick bookmarks for the Is there any room challenge.
Then Camp SB1 (I didn't point out it was green!) I put them into 4 groups with an adult each and all came up with something different and seemed to enjoy it, they all shouted yes when I asked them!
I gave them their badge books and ticked off the activity, and they wrote their names in them.
All in all a good session, not hugley different to what we'd have done before. I felt I should keep the new programme simple for them to start with, so I didn't mention the themes, they will get to know them as we go along, but they know there are six colours!

Jackson19

Beginner (10+ posts)
We were back at Brownies this week.
We had new girls so a little hectic.
We introduced the new programme.
Each six took it in turns to:
  1. Receive their new books - handbook and badge in a bag. We had a look through them and wrote names in all. They were reminded to bring each week. The girls seemed very enthusiastic with the books and planned what badges they wanted to do. We are starting with skill builder - Skills for life - level 2 and level 3 depending on girls age. We have 7 year old and 10 1/2 (no spaces at Guides). The girls looked through her card and again seemed keen.
  2. I made a board game to introduce the programme - my Young Leader played it with them .
  3. The girls had a snack and watched the You Tube video of The Brownie Story.
We chose the skill builder this term and are going to get the girls to throw the dice for the UMAs .
Our group hadn’t been doing the adventure programme (we have recently taken over the unit) and mostly challenge badges so we are going straight in to the new programme.

I get the following message when trying to upload a word document (UMA theme hours sheet) , any ideas on how to fix this, I'm not really computer savvy. "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension".

Tregi

Veteran (100+ posts)
I don't think the forum allows word documents - try saving it as a pdf, or you will have to get the email addresses of who you wish to share it with (via a private message - Inbox top right of the screen)

Glimfeather

Beginner (10+ posts)
We had our first night of Guides last night. Explained the programme - our YL in particular was very impressed with it all, and we tried out some UMAs - same as someone upthread - fabulous friend and the miming one. They all seemed to enjoy them.
We're going to start with stage 4 skills builders - we currently have no primary age guides. We have a handful of older ones who are moving up to rangers after Christmas, so they will finish off with the old programme and can work on their Baden Powell, and can all start fresh together as I currently have no Rangers.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
So, what are you all going to do for a girl that misses a SB?
We can easily have a catch up UMA meeting but many of the SBs are very hard to do with one or two girls and also if we have two girls who've been to every meeting, two that missed one different meeting each, and two that missed the same other meetings, that's 4 SBs if they missed all those.