• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

New Programme - Discuss!

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I am going to try saying to parents near the start of term that the three or four weeks in the term we have planned a SB are the key weeks their daughter needs to attend to get their badges. You can lead the horse....

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
So, what are you all going to do for a girl that misses a SB?
We can easily have a catch up UMA meeting but many of the SBs are very hard to do with one or two girls and also if we have two girls who've been to every meeting, two that missed one different meeting each, and two that missed the same other meetings, that's 4 SBs if they missed all those.
The e-learning about skills builders was very clear that they should only be done in groups of 3-6.

Our plan currently is to set aside a meeting for SB catch-up (with another activity pencilled in). Then:
  • if there are 3-6 girls who all missed one or two SB activities, they can do it then
  • if there are one or two girls who missed a SB activity, we could ask if anyone else would like to have another go (if they really enjoyed it) or try it out (if they did another SB level), in order to make up the numbers
If this doesn't work out, the girls will not have finished the skills builder, so will not get the badge.

In this case:
  • skills builder afternoons/days have been mentioned in various places - so girls could attend one of these to either finish off the SB they have started, or do another one from the same theme (the other topic or a different stage) OR
  • they could wait two years (if a young Brownie, or a Guide or Ranger) until it is time for that SB theme to come up again.

So far this term we have had 2 Rainbows miss two different meetings where we ran different SBs. They won't earn those badges.

It's now the nature of the beast. Miss the activity, miss the badge. It'll be a fortunate Rainbow in our unit who will earn a theme award.

Spittal Belle

Beginner (10+ posts)
I've done 1 part of 2 different skills builders and already had 1 brownie absent, hoping that we can do one of Willow's suggestions but then again there may be more before we're done all missing a different part of the SB they are working on.

Jackson19

Beginner (10+ posts)
We are running two different skill builders at level 2 & 3.
So 10 different cards. We could have 1 girl missing from each group each week.
A 'catch-up evening, could mean us having to do 10 different activities in an evening.
As we are a small unit we couldn't complete in group as only 12 girls.
I think that the requirements for a skills badge should have been to complete 4 out of the 5 cards.
It's a club - suppose to be fun and not too serious- the badge requirements would be better suited to school or work environment. Just my opinion.

I think that the requirements for a skills badge should have been to complete 4 out of the 5 cards.
I think so too - and actually, for Rainbows it could be 3 out of 5. And eventually a skills builder could have up to 8 activities so that we can run even more nights to cover missed evenings without girls getting bored.

The e-learning about skills builders was very clear that they should only be done in groups of 3-6.

I've watched the e-learning again and I didn't see anything about having to be in this size groups. When you look through the skills builder cards there are lots of them that the girls need to divide into 3 or 4 groups for part of the activity and you couldn't do this if you have only got 3 girls working on it.

I've watched the e-learning again and I didn't see anything about having to be in this size groups. When you look through the skills builder cards there are lots of them that the girls need to divide into 3 or 4 groups for part of the activity and you couldn't do this if you have only got 3 girls working on it

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
I've watched the e-learning again and I didn't see anything about having to be in this size groups. When you look through the skills builder cards there are lots of them that the girls need to divide into 3 or 4 groups for part of the activity and you couldn't do this if you have only got 3 girls working on it
This is from the programme planning e-learning:

"Working in small groups

Skills builder activities are designed to be done in small groups typically of between three and six girls. So even if your whole unit is working on the same stage of the same skills builder at the same time – you should divide girls into small groups so they get the benefit of this dynamic."

http://training.girlguiding.org.uk/programme/planning/#/page/5b47776c83acd65a3bcadf91

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
When you look through the skills builder cards there are lots of them that the girls need to divide into 3 or 4 groups for part of the activity and you couldn't do this if you have only got 3 girls working on it
Yes - I've just had a look at some of the SBs, and they talk about splitting up into groups of 3 or 4 or small groups. So putting the two things together, the expectation seems to be that the girls are working in small groups (presumably of 3-6 as per the programme planning e-learning), but that you have at least two of these small groups for some of the activities. Something to keep in mind in the planning!

And you're right: the numbers aren't mentioned in the SB and UMA e-learning, just the programme planning one.

caroline68

Regular (50+ posts)
It would have been more helpful for the SB cards to have had the info about group sizes, rather than saying divide into x no of groups and the info about sizes being elsewhere. We are doing Camp 1 with our Rainbows and had a game of deciding which 8 items from a list of 11 they should pack for a sleepover, then they had to reduce to 4 items. The card said to divide into 2 groups which would have meant a group of 11 and 10, far too many for this type of discussion, I put them in 4 groups and it worked quite well. The cards are supposed to be pick up and go, but some extra thought/knowledge is still needed, above and beyond will this work in our meeting place?

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
What do we do if we have just one Rainbow aged 5 and the others are all nearly 7 and will have already started level 2 SBs before the 5 year old joins, then?
That will be our situation later in the year. I bet that's pretty common (small unit, lots of girls one age and 1 or 2 another age. Or all the 9 year old Brownies leave except 1).

And then when our Brownies are older we will have 1 or 2 aged 9 who have potentially done all the Stage 2 packs (maybe not all the individual activities, but they should be moving on to level 3 plus they can't really do odd Stage 2 that they missed together with another group that's doing all the other 4 for the first time).

Again, we have a small number of Rainbows and Brownies so if e.g. we have 3 of each present they can do the UMAs in groups of 3 but if we had 1 Rainbow and 5 Brownies present, the Rainbow could do the Brownie UMA and catch up another time with a Rainbow UMA but we can't do that with SB.

Pipit

Brownie/Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
I don't think the 3-6 girls advice is clear enough.
As you read through the SBs, most talk about splitting your SB group into smaller groups, doing some sort of activity and coming back together to compare results. So which of these group is meant to be 3-6 girls? The total number of girls doing the activity or the sub groups?
For very large and very small units its a no brainier - the former will have 2, 3 or even 4 different SBs running, 8 or more girls doing each and easily split into sub groups of 3-6 girls. For small units they will run one SB with their whole unit of 3-6 girls.
But, if I have, say, 8 girls, I have a choice. Do I run 2 SBs, 4 girls doing each with sub groups of 2 (assuming no girls are absent) or am I meant to be running 1 SB so we can have 2 sub groups of 3-6 girls?
To which group of girls does the 3-6 refer? The Whole number in my SB group or the sub groups I split them into?
The advice is to run stages appropriate to the girls ability level so I guess for most units it will resolve itself and the 3-6 bit will become irrelevant once you take ability levels into account but I would be interested to know what was intended.

Has anyone been on Go and recorded the UMAS and Skill builders?

UMA's quite easy as can add whole unit then quickly delete the girls that were absent but the skills builders are very time consuming.
Took me longer to add the
skills builders to girls in unit than it does for length of activity.
Hopefully it will be easier next time.

Looking forward to next week's activity - Uma - time traveling rainbow- it's about - when guiding started, rainbow rabbit and Olivia. Should be fun night. We are going to include making a rainbow rabbit pencil topper and an Olivia colouring sheet with the time machine on - links in with the Uma.
Hope you are all enjoying your SB + Uma activities.