• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Old Uniforms & Badge Positions

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I've scanned in a few of the Brownie handbooks etc I have showing what the uniform was and the badge positions - hopefully useful as reference for the Centenary/personal interest! :)

bryony

Guide and Ranger Guider
Staff member
GuiderPlus
fab Hilzo! I had the '85 Brownie handbook but don't remember ever owning fawn socks!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
We all had white socks for school, so wore them with uniform to meetings - although fawn socks were an option I only once ever saw a Brownie wearing them - they looked a bit odd!

Woodpecker

Veteran (100+ posts)
Wooo, so glad to see that SSAGO is mentioned on the guider one from 1987. So nice to see at some point we were actually mentioned on where to put your badges.

Rosie_1886

Veteran (100+ posts)
NO ORANGE SOCKS. *is a bit obsessed with this one* It just makes me laugh, every time. I wore my orange socks to Brownies last week... On purpose. Nothing like a completely private joke to keep you amused during the interminable round of News...

My guide uniform was 1980 and 1985 models - we switched during my 4th year as a Guide. Don't remember patrol badge etc switching to the opposite side though.

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
they probably didn't bother getting those already with their patrol emblem on the left to switch it but presumably anyone new would have put theirs on the right. or thats my guess.
the only change I can see with the Brownie uniform in all that time is when the Journey and Venture badges changed design and were worn the other way round (Venture below journey badge instead of above). I suppose beret to bobble hat would have been the only other change for the best part of 30 years!

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
You may not, because I remember the older Guides in my unit didn't bother changing the position of their badges when they changed to wear a necker.

Hiya! I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have a copy of the Brownie badge book from 1987 that they could scan in for me please (a bit of a cheeky ask I know, but I have lost my copy :-( ) I am trying to put together a camp rug with all the badges from when I was a Brownie for my pack, but I can't remember what all the badges looked like and I have been buying odd bits off Ebay that I do remember, but it's all getting a bit confussing now!!! lol.
Many thanks in advance
xx

armchair gardener

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hilzo I have just been looking at your posts of old style guider unidorms- I feel quite sad I loved my old uniform and felt proud to wear it. I think i might get my old handbag out of the loft ...