• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Old Uniforms & Badge Positions

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Becky Lou, I might have a mid-80's badgebook, was it all the pages you needed, or just one or two pics and a list of badges?

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I can't remember what all the badges looked like and I have been buying odd bits off Ebay that I do remember

1987 brownie handbook lists:

Agility - girl balancing on one leg
Animal Lover - a cat
Artist - a pencil
Athlete - girl standing on 2 legs, arms outstretched
Booklover - an open book
Brownie Friendship - a globe
Collector - a magnifying glass
Conservation - a panda
Cook - a saucepan
Craft - a spiders web
Cyclist - a bike wheel
Dancer - girl dancing (though she looks more like an egyptian!)
Discoverer - a rabbit
First Aid - a cross
Gardener - a wheelbarrow
Hostess - a cup & saucer
House Orderly - a broom
Jester - a jesters head (pointy hat!)
Knitter - a ball of wool & needles
Musician - a treble clef
Music Lover - a girl surrounded by music notes
Needleworker - a pair of scissors
Pathfinder - an arrow
Pony Rider - a horseshoe
Rambler - a girl with rucksack
Safety In The Home - a fire guard
Signaller - crossed semaphore flags
Skater - a girl skating
Swimmer - a frog
Toymaker - a noahs ark
Water Rescuer - a life ring and water
Writer - a quill and scroll

badges added in 1989:

Computer - a computer (monitor and keyboard)
Crime Prevention - a lock and key
Photographer - a camera
Road Safety - a green man on a zebra crossing
Swimmer Advanced - a swimming fish

Last edited:
Your Local archivist should be able to Help ours lent us loads of Stuff for the 1940's Christmas Party we held. Including a flag the rangers had made from Parachute silk and Uniform made from battle dress

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I've posted these in another thread, but thought I'd post here too.

My Ranger & YL Badge tabs.

The Ranger one has my Ranger Promise, Ranger Star 1, and Celebration '91 pin - although I'd left Rangers by then, I ended up going to the launch at CHQ.

My YL Tab (with the white stripes) has my YL Promise, YL Bar and World Badge. this is my original 'new' World Badge as the one on my Leader tab was sent to me from an old pen friend I had in Canada.

I wore my YL Bar on my Leader tab until I got my 10 year award, and had no more room.

Attachments

SandySunshine

Ranger Guider, Assistant Guide Guider
I wonder if anyone could help me out? My mum found an old photo of herself in her Guide uniform today. It was taken around 1965-66. There is what looks like a red and black ribbon on her left shoulder, but she can't remember what it was for. She thinks it could have been something to do with being a patrol leader.

Any ideas?

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
If it's from the shoulder then it will be the patrol shoulder knot - red and black would have been Poppy or Bullfinch patrols.

If she was a Patrol Leader then she would have worn 2 horizontal stripes on the left pocket.

SandySunshine

Ranger Guider, Assistant Guide Guider
If it's from the shoulder then it will be the patrol shoulder knot - red and black would have been Poppy or Bullfinch patrols.

If she was a Patrol Leader then she would have worn 2 horizontal stripes on the left pocket.
Thanks Katie! She was a patrol leader and has the two white stripes on the pocket. She was in the robin patrol though...so would the ribbons have been different colours? It could be red and brown. The photo isn't that clear. Was there anything you had to do to get them 'cos the girl next to her in the photo has the patrol leader stripes but no shoulder knot!

Hilzo42

Staff member
GuiderPlus
Robin is definately Red & Brown knots.
erm, I believe it was automatically part of the uniform to have the patrol shoulder knots.

however the uniform changed circa 1964, so maybe the PL without them joined after the change (when knots were abandoned) but wore an old shirt? or the flashes were no longer available for certain patrols?
we all know how old badges etc tend to get used up before switching to new ones!

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Shoulder Knots were part of the uniform until the Uniform change in 1965/66.

I believe that if a girl was a Company Leader they wore Guide Uniform but didn't wear a Patrol Emblem or Shoulder Knot, but she would have had 3 stripes on her pocket.

From what I understand, a Company Leader was rather like our YL's are - but a bit older, but I can't find out any specific information about who appointed them and why they would be used.

There could be lots of explainations why the Knots are missing from the other girls' shoulder, and unless the girl herself is tracked down you may never know!

Hilzo42

Staff member
GuiderPlus
I found a uniform on eBay that is from the 1960's crossover period so thought I'd post the piccy here.

Its an early 60's shirt but with the 1964 hostess hat and badges from the 8 point era (on a Ranger shirt they're sellying they have the blue rectangular QG badge). Which narrows it down to them being a Guide roughly '64-69 ish. Note the lack of shoulder flashes too!

Quite interesting to see how the three big changes were integrated together!

Attachments

Rosie_1886

Veteran (100+ posts)
Could it be that by then shoulder flashes were already dying out, in that they were just quietly not being used, and that is one of the reasons they were dropped? We all know there is often quite a disparity between the theory and the practice!

Hilzo42

Staff member
GuiderPlus
My mum distinctly remembers having shoulder flashes and she was a Guide 1963-68 (she joined Rangers as the new programme came in, she had to wait for the new promise badge so she was given a mini red one in the interim).

Its rather confusing having the uniform change in '64/5 and the programme change in '68 - its easy to think they must have been the same time. I wonder if, when the new hostess hat came in in '64 that the shoulder flashes started being phased out ready for the new uniform blouse & tie in '65. I also wouldn't be suprised if a number of Guides removed the shoulder flashes from their uniforms to try and 'match in'.

scotchmi5t

Veteran (100+ posts)
Call me old fashioned, but I would rather have worn a uniform like that when I was a Guide. Its more uniformly, and not so casual, if you get what I mean.

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I know what you mean. My Uniform was the 1985 one, and I loved wearing that - thought it looked so smart and I was proud of it.

However I'm sure that if you ask Guides from the 1950s/1960s they would probably say the same about their uniform!

My Guides saw the uniform I wore in a parade for the Queen's Jubilee and they hated it - couldn't believe I wore that, and then when I saw the JB uniform (shirt and culottes with sash) I forgot how smart it looked.

scotchmi5t

Veteran (100+ posts)
I had the old JB uniform, including the cullottes but still think the older uniform was smarter. I saw photos in our Guide hut of days gone by when they all wore exactly the same uniform and I so wanted to be able to sew my badges onto my sleeves!

Hilzo42

Staff member
GuiderPlus
I think any uniform can be smart if worn smartly!

on our first day of camp nearly everyone was in the navy polo shirt - they all looked like a really uniformed group (despite being from 3 different units). now if I had a group all in the navy polo with a necker and smart bottoms they'd look fab!
JB got away with the variety because it was all in the same shade of blue.

Comparing uniforms has been really interesting. so far for Guides I think I would most like to bring back the 80's shirt & necker combo (not the hat and a choice of skirt/trousers naturally). though I do really like the old shoulder flashes so think I'd add those back on too!

we ended up following a trio of scouts the other day and boy did they look scruffy! shirts loose & hanging out, neckers half stuffed into pockets - now I know they were on the way to a meeting and wouldn't parade like that but my oh couldn't resist saying rather loudly '"what?! they haven't even ironed the box pleat in the back of the shirt? you're a disgrace to the uniform!" (he's ex ATC where they had to do that). lol!

Hilzo42

Staff member
GuiderPlus
My attempt at a 70's tie!

I've been after a 1970's crossover tie in our units old necker colour but unfortunately they seem to be rather thin on the ground.

So using the shape of another one as a pattern & a necker as the fabric, I've attempted to make my own (the real one is the top sapphire blue, my replica is the bottom cambridge blue):

Attachments

Hilzo42

Staff member
GuiderPlus
Old Guide Uniforms

Following on from above - I've been attempting to collect an example of each uniform since our unit was formed in 1955.

All the Patrol badges are accurate to the time period in the unit (1957, 1972, 1987, 1997) as well. We had Shamrocks 1956-61 so thought it would be nice to have that Patrol represented, plus I managed to find flashes in the correct colours! the badge is a bit new but I'm hoping it'll age a bit.

Hats/belts/skirts not included here (the 1950's one also needs a lanyard) but thought I'd post up my piccies so far as reference. :)

Attachments