• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Old Uniforms & Badge Positions

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Wow Hilzo, those are fantastic... I really wish I'd kept my old uniforms now, but never mind!

I've been working on the "Guide to Guide Uniforms". Have completed a few now, but I'll only upload the one.

Just about to start on the 70's POR I have.

Attachments

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
wow, thats fab Katie!

really, really useful - great to have explanations for where everything goes, inc the variations (& especially the bit about service stars).

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Cheers for that, I did wonder if it was a bit OTT..

I'll upload the others I've done tonight - most of them are the same, but there are a few differences. I'll also start on the rest of the POR's I have too.

Also does anyone have a 1966 POR that I could have some uniform info from?

floss

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
If anyone is needing specific stuff from PORs, I may be able to get it from the national archive in the Library of Scotland.
Can't see a POR for 1966, but there is a Guide's book of rules - is that the same thing?

I also have a complete set of the hands on history books, with badge syllabuses and all sorts for all sections

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
The Guides' Book of Rules is like a mini-POR, just has the Guides' Uniform & badge syllabi etc. I have one from 1966 and it has the old & new Uniforms in it and refers to the 1966 POR for the "old" uniform. Never mind, I'll keep scouting (tee hee) eBay to see what turns up!

mum

Mitcheldean Brownie Guider
Just want to say thanks to all the contributors of this thread. I was a guide starting in 1965 and its been such fun to see the old uniform and the changes through the years. I had daughters who were guides in the early 90's and one a guide in 2004+ so many of the styles have passed through my hands over the years.
Brill.

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I've uploaded my "Guiders' Guide to Guide Uniforms" in the downloads section. Have a look and if anyone notices any mistakes or omissions then please let me know!

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Updated Pics

Have been working on my Guide uniform collection and have taken new photos - there aren't hats in the pics, I couldn't figure out how best to add those in!
the skirt is mine and pinned in, but it at least shows the tucked in/tucked out phases.

I'm quite chuffed to have a Guide belt in my possession with 'The Guide Association' and 1994 trefoil on the buckle!
I didn't know they had even produced those - i had always figured they just phased them out across the JB era and didn't bother changing it when the new trefoil came in. clearly I was wrong (though the other 11 belts in the bag I was given were still 'girl guides'). guessing its pretty rare, I shall be hanging onto that one! :D

Attachments

9thedin

Beginner (10+ posts)
i found my Guide belt in my parents house recently - we wore the new JB uniform with the old belt! That would've been around 1993-4 I think...

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I've uploaded my "Guiders' Guide to Guide Uniforms" in the downloads section. Have a look and if anyone notices any mistakes or omissions then please let me know!
I've just uploaded the final few, if anyone has any questions or queries, or has any more copies of POR or The Guides' Book of Rules that I could borrow then please let me know...

Just want to say thanks to all the contributors of this thread. I was a guide starting in 1965 and its been such fun to see the old uniform and the changes through the years. I had daughters who were guides in the early 90's and one a guide in 2004+ so many of the styles have passed through my hands over the years.
Brill.
Yes I have to agree with this, the information is fascinating. I was a brownie c.1960, and a guide c.1964. I seem to recall that the rule about tie length was that it should end four fingers above the belt, and I used to spend ages brassoing my promise badge. Does anyone know what the different brownie six badges have been, or if it's possible to obtain a list from anywhere? The information about patrol badges is something I've been looking for, so am really pleased about that thanks!

WoodLey

Brownie Leader
I was a Brownie in the early 60's and I remember we had to use three fingers as the gap between the tie and the belt (bit like the salute of today) in our Pack. Also you had to tie the tie with a reef knot very neatly at the back under the collar. The Promise Badge had to be cleaned before each meeting - and no cheating by not taking it off the tie to save time, as you would always end up with brasso on the yellow tie if you did - that meant you failed inspection!!

hiphopy

Veteran (100+ posts)
Just found this photo on a local Edinburgh history site, and thought it might be of interest to a few of you. Couldn't find anywhere better to post this! :) http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_P/0_photographers_greenfield_flora_hurst_c1942-43.htm

I also found this great Flickr group http://www.flickr.com/groups/girlguidesandgirlscouts/ where you can search for old photos, for example... http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?m=pool&w=1007244@N23&q=1940 or http://www.flickr.com/photos/weathe...os/weathering/4868496814/in/pool-1007244@N23/

Finally, I'm sure this has been posted before, but again it might help someone searching... http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/gallery/2009/aug/21/girl-guides-centenary